05/14/2026
With a recent posting about the Upper Preakness School, there was discussion about the Wayne Grange. A grange is a national fraternal association originally made up of farmers, somewhat like a “trade guild”. In 1867, the initial goal of the national grange organization was to put agricultural and industrial industries back into order after the Civil War. From this national effort, state granges began to form. The New Jersey State Grange was formed in 1873. In the next several decades, local granges were organized and by 1906, the original Wayne Grange Building was built on the Hamburg-Paterson Turnpike next to the Upper Preakness School.
In Wayne, the grange provided social life, saved money with cooperative buying, and helped educate about agricultural improvements. For the 50th Anniversary of the Grange in 1954, the Herald News reflected that the Wayne organization was known for “strong, conservative ideas on progress”. The members were not thrilled with the U.S. Congress’s interference with parcel post regulation, daylight savings time, and road improvement. However, the organization was all for women getting the right to vote and had many women hold offices in the organization.
The Wayne organization also sponsored individuals and organizations at fairs and sporting events. In the file at the Wayne Museum, ribbon awards can be found for “Crochet Contests”. In 1940, the “Preakness Farmers” won the championship in the North Jersey Semipro Baseball Team. There were also drives to give money and food during the Great Depression. The Wayne Red Cross, war bond drives, scouts, and 4-H clubs were always supported by the organization.
When the original structure was destroyed by a fire in 1928, the building was rebuilt within a year. As farms gave way to residential communities, the membership of the Wayne Township Grange diminished. For the 75th Anniversary in 1979, only 16 members with 50 years in the organization remained. By 1980, the building was torn down to make way for the Church Lane intersection.
Pictured: The Grange Building in 1940 and a 1977 Wayne Parade Float.