08/31/2026
Just about a mile southwest of Port Clinton were the Stupey and Rectenwald farms.
With the taking place, it seems a good time to bring out the plat of the plat of the Town of Port Clinton, 1852. Some street names have changed. For example, Maria Street residents successfully petitioned to change the street name to Port Clinton Road in 1932. Roslyn Lane and Edgecliff(e) replaced Clark and Broad Way by ordinance in 1923, inter alia. Some original homes survive on Bloom Street and environs, generally with significant alterations.
Jacob Clinton Bloom (1815-1890) founded the town with significant collaboration from the Steele family (four brothers). Born in Canada, Bloom lived and worked in Waukegan, St. Joseph, MI and Michigan City, IN after selling the property to the Port Clinton Land Company, 1853. He remained a shareholder. However (infamously), Walter Gurnee became a sole shareholder; and, sold the company and more to the folks we know as the Highland Park Building Company.
N.B. A.B. Bloom is likely Atassa Maria Bloom (née Porter) who later went by Mara A. Bloom (1815-1890)