For nearly one hundred years the Philipse family lived in luxury, well supported by their business endeavors and rents from the many tenant farms on their property. Times were changing, however, and while others rebelled against King George III and Great Britain, Frederick Philipse III defended the Crown. His Loyalist beliefs were strong enough that General George Washington himself ordered Frederick arrested in 1776. Originally under house arrest, Philipse and his family later fled to British occupied New York City and finally on to England, where the last "Lord of the Manor," broken in spirit and health, died in 1786. His vast lands and his mansion were confiscated by the New York State Legislature and sold at public auction.
In 1868, after passing through the hands of many owners, the house became Yonkers Village Hall and, in 1872, the first City Hall of Yonkers. By the 20th century, city growth threatened the Manor Hall's future until it was acquired by New York State in 1908 with the generous help of the Cochran Family of Yonkers.
Today, Philipse Manor Hall sits next to the recently daylighted Saw Mill River in Van der Donck Park, and serves as a museum of history, art and architecture. It is also a host to community organizations, meetings, educational programs, a community art gallery and many special, community oriented events. Historical highlights of the Hall include its 18th century, high style Georgian architecture, a rare 1750s papier-mâché Rococo ceiling, and one of the only presidential portrait collections in existence, including six Presidents from New York State.