Watervliet Historical Society

(4)
Watervliet Streets
05/12/2020

Watervliet Streets

Watervliet Streets

Watervliet Streets
05/11/2020

Watervliet Streets

Watervliet Streets

Watervliet Streets
05/10/2020

Watervliet Streets

Watervliet Streets

Watervliet Streets
05/09/2020

Watervliet Streets

Watervliet Streets

Watervliet Streets
05/08/2020

Watervliet Streets

Watervliet Streets

Watervliet Streets
05/07/2020

Watervliet Streets

Watervliet Streets

Behr Manning Plant
05/06/2020

Behr Manning Plant

The name Watervliet is of Dutch origin from water and vlakte meaning level plains or flats.  The level lands or flats al...
05/06/2020

The name Watervliet is of Dutch origin from water and vlakte meaning level plains or flats. The level lands or flats along the Hudson River were and are subject to overflowing in time of freshets.
The two reasons for flooding in our area and specifically to Watervliet in the early years was the overflowing of the Hudson River and overflow of a generally dry stream called the Dry River which ran diagonally through what we call uptown Watervliet. This stream meandered from northwest of 23rd Street to the Hudson River in the vicinity of the northeast corner of the Arsenal. This dry river drained much of the north slope of the Town of Colonie, including much of Latham east of Route 9 north to Boght Road. During heavy rain fall events water flowing down the hill would cause flooding several times a year.
A) Solution to the Hudson River Overflow:
The main tributary to the Hudson River is the Sacandaga River which carries drainage from the North Country. Heavy rains and rapid snow melts during the course of the year caused major flooding of the Hudson. In 1930 this river (Sacandaga) was damned at Conklingville creating a huge reservoir now called "The Great Sacandaga Lake". The Hudson River Black River Authority regulates the level, lowering in the fall of the year to accomodate the surge of flow in the spring months. They can then release water through the dam maintaining a safe level during the summer months, Cities in our area to this day pay a stipend to the HRBR for their service.
B) Solving the Dry River overflow Problems:
Completion of the Dry River System to alleviate flooding occurred in 1912. This system is a storm water detention system, that detains storm water safely outside the city and releases it slowly after the rains have stopped. Two dams were constructed west of the City. An earthen dam and a concrete one to pool and distribute the surge from the high grounds and discharge at a rate to eliminate flooding in the city. Secondly the Dry River was eliminated by installation of an underground conduit system that carried the controlled flows from the dams and eventually runs under 21st Street to a concrete outfall at the Hudson River. This discharge structure is visible from the Congress Street Bridge located in the vicinity of Hudson Shore Park. Both the dams and conduit system are continually monitored by the City of Watervliet.

The name Watervliet is of Dutch origin from water and vlakte meaning level plains or flats. The level lands or flats along the Hudson River were and are subject to overflowing in time of freshets.
The two reasons for flooding in our area and specifically to Watervliet in the early years was the overflowing of the Hudson River and overflow of a generally dry stream called the Dry River which ran diagonally through what we call uptown Watervliet. This stream meandered from northwest of 23rd Street to the Hudson River in the vicinity of the northeast corner of the Arsenal. This dry river drained much of the north slope of the Town of Colonie, including much of Latham east of Route 9 north to Boght Road. During heavy rain fall events water flowing down the hill would cause flooding several times a year.
A) Solution to the Hudson River Overflow:
The main tributary to the Hudson River is the Sacandaga River which carries drainage from the North Country. Heavy rains and rapid snow melts during the course of the year caused major flooding of the Hudson. In 1930 this river (Sacandaga) was damned at Conklingville creating a huge reservoir now called "The Great Sacandaga Lake". The Hudson River Black River Authority regulates the level, lowering in the fall of the year to accomodate the surge of flow in the spring months. They can then release water through the dam maintaining a safe level during the summer months, Cities in our area to this day pay a stipend to the HRBR for their service.
B) Solving the Dry River overflow Problems:
Completion of the Dry River System to alleviate flooding occurred in 1912. This system is a storm water detention system, that detains storm water safely outside the city and releases it slowly after the rains have stopped. Two dams were constructed west of the City. An earthen dam and a concrete one to pool and distribute the surge from the high grounds and discharge at a rate to eliminate flooding in the city. Secondly the Dry River was eliminated by installation of an underground conduit system that carried the controlled flows from the dams and eventually runs under 21st Street to a concrete outfall at the Hudson River. This discharge structure is visible from the Congress Street Bridge located in the vicinity of Hudson Shore Park. Both the dams and conduit system are continually monitored by the City of Watervliet.

Spindle City Historic Society
05/06/2020

Spindle City Historic Society

Today in Cohoes History: On May 5, 1894, a report of a police census found 242 saloons in Cohoes, which, for the population of the time, was a ratio of about 1 saloon for every 100 people. #Cohoes150

16th street looking east , 1913 flood
05/05/2020

16th street looking east , 1913 flood

Watervliet Streets
05/05/2020

Watervliet Streets

Watervliet Streets

Watervliet Streets
05/04/2020

Watervliet Streets

Watervliet Streets

Watervliet Streets
05/03/2020

Watervliet Streets

Watervliet Streets

Watervliet Streets
05/02/2020

Watervliet Streets

Watervliet Streets

The name Watervliet is of Dutch origin from water and vlakte meaning level plains or flats.  The level lands or flats al...
05/01/2020

The name Watervliet is of Dutch origin from water and vlakte meaning level plains or flats. The level lands or flats along the Hudson River were and are subject to overflowing in time of freshets.
The two reasons for flooding in our area and specifically to Watervliet in the early years was the overflowing of the Hudson River and overflow of a generally dry stream called the Dry River which ran diagonally through what we call uptown Watervliet. This stream meandered from northwest of 23rd Street to the Hudson River in the vicinity of the northeast corner of the Arsenal. This dry river drained much of the north slope of the Town of Colonie, including much of Latham east of Route 9 north to Boght Road. During heavy rain fall events water flowing down the hill would cause flooding several times a year.
A) Solution to the Hudson River Overflow:
The main tributary to the Hudson River is the Sacandaga River which carries drainage from the North Country. Heavy rains and rapid snow melts during the course of the year caused major flooding of the Hudson. In 1930 this river (Sacandaga) was damned at Conklingville creating a huge reservoir now called "The Great Sacandaga Lake". The Hudson River Black River Authority regulates the level, lowering in the fall of the year to accomodate the surge of flow in the spring months. They can then release water through the dam maintaining a safe level during the summer months, Cities in our area to this day pay a stipend to the HRBR for their service.
B) Solving the Dry River overflow Problems:
Completion of the Dry River System to alleviate flooding occurred in 1912. This system is a storm water detention system, that detains storm water safely outside the city and releases it slowly after the rains have stopped. Two dams were constructed west of the City. An earthen dam and a concrete one to pool and distribute the surge from the high grounds and discharge at a rate to eliminate flooding in the city. Secondly the Dry River was eliminated by installation of an underground conduit system that carried the controlled flows from the dams and eventually runs under 21st Street to a concrete outfall at the Hudson River. This discharge structure is visible from the Congress Street Bridge located in the vicinity of Hudson Shore Park. Both the dams and conduit system are continually monitored by the City of Watervliet.

The name Watervliet is of Dutch origin from water and vlakte meaning level plains or flats. The level lands or flats along the Hudson River were and are subject to overflowing in time of freshets.
The two reasons for flooding in our area and specifically to Watervliet in the early years was the overflowing of the Hudson River and overflow of a generally dry stream called the Dry River which ran diagonally through what we call uptown Watervliet. This stream meandered from northwest of 23rd Street to the Hudson River in the vicinity of the northeast corner of the Arsenal. This dry river drained much of the north slope of the Town of Colonie, including much of Latham east of Route 9 north to Boght Road. During heavy rain fall events water flowing down the hill would cause flooding several times a year.
A) Solution to the Hudson River Overflow:
The main tributary to the Hudson River is the Sacandaga River which carries drainage from the North Country. Heavy rains and rapid snow melts during the course of the year caused major flooding of the Hudson. In 1930 this river (Sacandaga) was damned at Conklingville creating a huge reservoir now called "The Great Sacandaga Lake". The Hudson River Black River Authority regulates the level, lowering in the fall of the year to accomodate the surge of flow in the spring months. They can then release water through the dam maintaining a safe level during the summer months, Cities in our area to this day pay a stipend to the HRBR for their service.
B) Solving the Dry River overflow Problems:
Completion of the Dry River System to alleviate flooding occurred in 1912. This system is a storm water detention system, that detains storm water safely outside the city and releases it slowly after the rains have stopped. Two dams were constructed west of the City. An earthen dam and a concrete one to pool and distribute the surge from the high grounds and discharge at a rate to eliminate flooding in the city. Secondly the Dry River was eliminated by installation of an underground conduit system that carried the controlled flows from the dams and eventually runs under 21st Street to a concrete outfall at the Hudson River. This discharge structure is visible from the Congress Street Bridge located in the vicinity of Hudson Shore Park. Both the dams and conduit system are continually monitored by the City of Watervliet.

Watervliet Police Department , circa 1930's
05/01/2020

Watervliet Police Department , circa 1930's

Watervliet Streets
04/30/2020

Watervliet Streets

Watervliet Streets

Buffalo Row Fire. This row of houses were located across from city hall. 15th street was known as Buffalo Street until t...
04/30/2020

Buffalo Row Fire. This row of houses were located across from city hall. 15th street was known as Buffalo Street until the 1880's. Thus they were called the Buffalo Row. Note the former Dutch Church in the background.

Watervliet Streets
04/29/2020

Watervliet Streets

Watervliet Streets

Watervliet Streets
04/28/2020

Watervliet Streets

Watervliet Streets

Watervliet Streets
04/27/2020

Watervliet Streets

Watervliet Streets

Watervliet Streets
04/26/2020

Watervliet Streets

Watervliet Streets

FIRE:The first fire engine, Old Niagara #1 was commissioned in 1829. The old fire departments of our village consisted o...
04/25/2020

FIRE:

The first fire engine, Old Niagara #1 was commissioned in 1829. The old fire departments of our village consisted of three hand -engines and two Hook and Ladder Companies including The Rip Van Winkle Engine Co #1, Protection Engine Co #2, and Conqueror Engine Co #3 ; Hercules Hook and Ladder Co #1 and Spartan Hook and Ladder #2.
In 1864 the first steam fire engine companies were organized including James Roy #1, James Duffy #2 and Martin Tierney #3. These steamers remained in service until 1878 when a public water works system was introduced.
The village then consisted of four hose companies and one hook and ladder co ; Oswald Hose Co #1 1859, Michael Kelly Hose Co #2 1870, Thomas McIntyre Co #3 1873, Protective Hose Co #4 1878 and S.J. Gleason Hook and Ladder Co #1 1872.
The Gleason/Oswald were situated on the same site on Broadway and served as the last fire station until 1969 at the east side of Broadway north of 15th street when the new Station was built on the south side of 13th st between 1st and 2nd avenue.
Three former fire department buildings are still present in Watervliet, the McIntyre in Port Schuyler, Protective Hose on 23rd St and Michael Kelly on 21st St.
Police:
When West Troy was established in 1836 a constable for each of the four wards was elected that became our first Police Force. The first jail in The Village of West Troy was at the store of E. Wiswall at Broad and Ferry (Broadway and 16th St). In 1865 the Capital Police Force was organized with West Troy included in the Troy District. The Village of West Troy Police Force was organized on April 27, 1870, the Capital Force discontinued. The first police force of the City of Watervliet was organized in 1896 with a chief and seven officers.

FIRE:

The first fire engine, Old Niagara #1 was commissioned in 1829. The old fire departments of our village consisted of three hand -engines and two Hook and Ladder Companies including The Rip Van Winkle Engine Co #1, Protection Engine Co #2, and Conqueror Engine Co #3 ; Hercules Hook and Ladder Co #1 and Spartan Hook and Ladder #2.
In 1864 the first steam fire engine companies were organized including James Roy #1, James Duffy #2 and Martin Tierney #3. These steamers remained in service until 1878 when a public water works system was introduced.
The village then consisted of four hose companies and one hook and ladder co ; Oswald Hose Co #1 1859, Michael Kelly Hose Co #2 1870, Thomas McIntyre Co #3 1873, Protective Hose Co #4 1878 and S.J. Gleason Hook and Ladder Co #1 1872.
The Gleason/Oswald were situated on the same site on Broadway and served as the last fire station until 1969 at the east side of Broadway north of 15th street when the new Station was built on the south side of 13th st between 1st and 2nd avenue.
Three former fire department buildings are still present in Watervliet, the McIntyre in Port Schuyler, Protective Hose on 23rd St and Michael Kelly on 21st St.
Police:
When West Troy was established in 1836 a constable for each of the four wards was elected that became our first Police Force. The first jail in The Village of West Troy was at the store of E. Wiswall at Broad and Ferry (Broadway and 16th St). In 1865 the Capital Police Force was organized with West Troy included in the Troy District. The Village of West Troy Police Force was organized on April 27, 1870, the Capital Force discontinued. The first police force of the City of Watervliet was organized in 1896 with a chief and seven officers.

Watervliet Streets
04/24/2020

Watervliet Streets

Watervliet Streets

Picture taken in front of McIntyre Fire Station Port Schuyler.
04/24/2020

Picture taken in front of McIntyre Fire Station Port Schuyler.

School #7
04/23/2020

School #7

The name Watervliet is of Dutch origin from water and vlakte meaning level plains or flats.  The level lands or flats al...
04/23/2020

The name Watervliet is of Dutch origin from water and vlakte meaning level plains or flats. The level lands or flats along the Hudson River were and are subject to overflowing in time of freshets.
The two reasons for flooding in our area and specifically to Watervliet in the early years was the overflowing of the Hudson River and overflow of a generally dry stream called the Dry River which ran diagonally through what we call uptown Watervliet. This stream meandered from northwest of 23rd Street to the Hudson River in the vicinity of the northeast corner of the Arsenal. This dry river drained much of the north slope of the Town of Colonie, including much of Latham east of Route 9 north to Boght Road. During heavy rain fall events water flowing down the hill would cause flooding several times a year.
A) Solution to the Hudson River Overflow:
The main tributary to the Hudson River is the Sacandaga River which carries drainage from the North Country. Heavy rains and rapid snow melts during the course of the year caused major flooding of the Hudson. In 1930 this river (Sacandaga) was damned at Conklingville creating a huge reservoir now called "The Great Sacandaga Lake". The Hudson River Black River Authority regulates the level, lowering in the fall of the year to accomodate the surge of flow in the spring months. They can then release water through the dam maintaining a safe level during the summer months, Cities in our area to this day pay a stipend to the HRBR for their service.
B) Solving the Dry River overflow Problems:
Completion of the Dry River System to alleviate flooding occurred in 1912. This system is a storm water detention system, that detains storm water safely outside the city and releases it slowly after the rains have stopped. Two dams were constructed west of the City. An earthen dam and a concrete one to pool and distribute the surge from the high grounds and discharge at a rate to eliminate flooding in the city. Secondly the Dry River was eliminated by installation of an underground conduit system that carried the controlled flows from the dams and eventually runs under 21st Street to a concrete outfall at the Hudson River. This discharge structure is visible from the Congress Street Bridge located in the vicinity of Hudson Shore Park. Both the dams and conduit system are continually monitored by the City of Watervliet.

The name Watervliet is of Dutch origin from water and vlakte meaning level plains or flats. The level lands or flats along the Hudson River were and are subject to overflowing in time of freshets.
The two reasons for flooding in our area and specifically to Watervliet in the early years was the overflowing of the Hudson River and overflow of a generally dry stream called the Dry River which ran diagonally through what we call uptown Watervliet. This stream meandered from northwest of 23rd Street to the Hudson River in the vicinity of the northeast corner of the Arsenal. This dry river drained much of the north slope of the Town of Colonie, including much of Latham east of Route 9 north to Boght Road. During heavy rain fall events water flowing down the hill would cause flooding several times a year.
A) Solution to the Hudson River Overflow:
The main tributary to the Hudson River is the Sacandaga River which carries drainage from the North Country. Heavy rains and rapid snow melts during the course of the year caused major flooding of the Hudson. In 1930 this river (Sacandaga) was damned at Conklingville creating a huge reservoir now called "The Great Sacandaga Lake". The Hudson River Black River Authority regulates the level, lowering in the fall of the year to accomodate the surge of flow in the spring months. They can then release water through the dam maintaining a safe level during the summer months, Cities in our area to this day pay a stipend to the HRBR for their service.
B) Solving the Dry River overflow Problems:
Completion of the Dry River System to alleviate flooding occurred in 1912. This system is a storm water detention system, that detains storm water safely outside the city and releases it slowly after the rains have stopped. Two dams were constructed west of the City. An earthen dam and a concrete one to pool and distribute the surge from the high grounds and discharge at a rate to eliminate flooding in the city. Secondly the Dry River was eliminated by installation of an underground conduit system that carried the controlled flows from the dams and eventually runs under 21st Street to a concrete outfall at the Hudson River. This discharge structure is visible from the Congress Street Bridge located in the vicinity of Hudson Shore Park. Both the dams and conduit system are continually monitored by the City of Watervliet.

Address

1501 1st Ave
Watervliet, NY
12189

General information

OUR LOCATION: Corner of 1st Avenue and 15th Street Just behind the Watervliet Public Library OUR MAILING ADDRESS Watervliet Historical Society PO Box 246 Watervliet, New York, 12189 OUR HOURS: Wednesday through Friday 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM Phone: 518-272-0715

Opening Hours

Wednesday 11:00 - 16:00
Thursday 11:00 - 16:00
Friday 11:00 - 16:00

Telephone

(518) 272-0715

Alerts

Be the first to know and let us send you an email when Watervliet Historical Society posts news and promotions. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at any time.

Contact The Museum

Send a message to Watervliet Historical Society:

Nearby museums


Other Watervliet museums

Show All

Comments

Any photos of Kremeflake Bakery ? My grandparents own d it for many years on 7th ave
The Schuyler House 1866
Does anyone remember the Kremeflake (Kreamflake?) Bakery on 7th Avenue just north of DeLallo’s?
A camera was found at the military timeline at Schuyler Flats. It is at the Watervliet Historical Society Museum. We are open Wednesday,Thursday and Friday 11:00 to 4:00.
Hello! Are there any archived photos of this building back when Mr. Acheson owned it? I am interested in ANYTHING regarding this fine piece of structure. Thanks!
I'm hoping that Historical Society may be able to help in my research. I am researching my family in Watervliet and discovered that a 2nd great grandfather was a policeman in the late 1800's in Watervliet. Do you know if there are any records from the police department available about their past employees? thank you for any help
Tri City Yacht Basin 1936 Bottom of 17th Street
1936 FORD STAINLESS STEEL SEDAN This is the 1936 Ford Sedan built for and owned by Allegheny Ludlum Steel.
found this tidbit in 1942 Troy Record Article -- the 60's would be 1860 --any ideas where this might be thank you