National Conference of State Historic Preservation Officers

National Conference of State Historic Preservation Officers The National Conference of State Historic Preservation Officers is a national non-profit organization representing State Historic Preservation Offices (SHPOs).

To assure that every state would have a say in our nation's historic preservation program, and to assure there were no "top-down" decisions allowing federal projects to destroy our heritage without any consideration, the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966 laid the groundwork for the designation of a State Historic Preservation Officer for each state. To give them a collective voice, and to

To assure that every state would have a say in our nation's historic preservation program, and to assure there were no "top-down" decisions allowing federal projects to destroy our heritage without any consideration, the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966 laid the groundwork for the designation of a State Historic Preservation Officer for each state. To give them a collective voice, and to

The Central Presbyterian Church   Central Presbyterian Church in Summit has been awarded a matching preservation grant o...
06/13/2021

The Central Presbyterian Church Central Presbyterian Church in Summit has been awarded a matching preservation grant of up to $250,000 from the National Fund for Sacred Places. The Late Gothic Revival-style church, which was built in 1906, is a contributing property in the Summit Downtown Historic District, which was listed in the National Register of Historic Places - NPS in 2011. The National Fund for Sacred Places, becoming the first church in New Jersey -- and one of only 16 churches nationwide -- to be so recognized through the program, which is managed by Partners for Sacred Places in collaboration with the National Trust for Historic Preservation. To receive the $250,000 grant, Central Church must raise $500,000 and is asking the community to help them achieve the goal.

Central Church Capital Campaign Committee chair Betsy Phillips stated, “Having celebrated our 150th Anniversary last year, we are honored to be recognized nationally as a vibrant congregation with one of the most significant and community minded ‘sacred places’ in America, committed to offering our building, hospitality, and missions not only to our own congregation, but to community organizations looking for ‘shared space’ in the heart of Summit.” The New Jersey Historic Preservation Office and other SHPOs help communities preserve historic churches that tell their stories.

The Central Presbyterian Church Central Presbyterian Church in Summit has been awarded a matching preservation grant of up to $250,000 from the National Fund for Sacred Places. The Late Gothic Revival-style church, which was built in 1906, is a contributing property in the Summit Downtown Historic District, which was listed in the National Register of Historic Places - NPS in 2011. The National Fund for Sacred Places, becoming the first church in New Jersey -- and one of only 16 churches nationwide -- to be so recognized through the program, which is managed by Partners for Sacred Places in collaboration with the National Trust for Historic Preservation. To receive the $250,000 grant, Central Church must raise $500,000 and is asking the community to help them achieve the goal.

Central Church Capital Campaign Committee chair Betsy Phillips stated, “Having celebrated our 150th Anniversary last year, we are honored to be recognized nationally as a vibrant congregation with one of the most significant and community minded ‘sacred places’ in America, committed to offering our building, hospitality, and missions not only to our own congregation, but to community organizations looking for ‘shared space’ in the heart of Summit.” The New Jersey Historic Preservation Office and other SHPOs help communities preserve historic churches that tell their stories.

Residents of Palmyra, Iowa  are slowly working toward rehabilitating the Palmyra Methodist Episcopal Church and once aga...
06/13/2021

Residents of Palmyra, Iowa are slowly working toward rehabilitating the Palmyra Methodist Episcopal Church and once again making it a centerpiece of the community for future generations. The was built in 1868 and listed in the National Register of Historic Places - NPS in 1979. The frame church building was built by William Wilson Myrick and Eli Myrick. The church hosted Chatauqua revivals through the early 1940s as well as traveling evangelists who would come to the area by train. After it lost its congregation the church sat empty and was nearly torn down in 1978 when Friends of Palmyra Church was formed to save the building. Its contents were sold in 1979. The building was renovated in 1984 and period light fixtures, a pot-bellied stove, leaded windows and pews were installed in the building. Artist P. Buckley Moss has used the church in some of her paintings. Judy Russell, a member of the Palmyra Church Partnership, helped organize a 5K running race to raise money to rehabilitate the church. She said to a reporter with the Des Moines Register that the church's connection to her own past is what drives her to want to rehabilitate the building and transform it into a community center. "Our hope is to use the church as a place to bring us all back together," Russell said. The State Historical Society of Iowa and other SHPOs help communities preserve historic buildings that bring strengthen the fabric of the communities.

Residents of Palmyra, Iowa are slowly working toward rehabilitating the Palmyra Methodist Episcopal Church and once again making it a centerpiece of the community for future generations. The was built in 1868 and listed in the National Register of Historic Places - NPS in 1979. The frame church building was built by William Wilson Myrick and Eli Myrick. The church hosted Chatauqua revivals through the early 1940s as well as traveling evangelists who would come to the area by train. After it lost its congregation the church sat empty and was nearly torn down in 1978 when Friends of Palmyra Church was formed to save the building. Its contents were sold in 1979. The building was renovated in 1984 and period light fixtures, a pot-bellied stove, leaded windows and pews were installed in the building. Artist P. Buckley Moss has used the church in some of her paintings. Judy Russell, a member of the Palmyra Church Partnership, helped organize a 5K running race to raise money to rehabilitate the church. She said to a reporter with the Des Moines Register that the church's connection to her own past is what drives her to want to rehabilitate the building and transform it into a community center. "Our hope is to use the church as a place to bring us all back together," Russell said. The State Historical Society of Iowa and other SHPOs help communities preserve historic buildings that bring strengthen the fabric of the communities.

Qinuyang, an archeological district located on the Kvichak River in southwest Alaska, has been nominated for listing in ...
06/12/2021

Qinuyang, an archeological district located on the Kvichak River in southwest Alaska, has been nominated for listing in the National Register of Historic Places - NPS. Qinuyang, which is also known as Old Igiugig and Kashanak, is an ancestral Yup'ik village site located on a wooded terrace at the confluence of the Kvichak River and Slushy Creek. It is a site with multiple archaeological components of Arctic Small Tool tradition (4,800-3,300 years ago), Norton tradition (2,400-800 years ago), and historic Yup'ik. The site has the remains of Yup'ik single and multi-roomed nepiaq (winter sod houses), a qasgiq (men's house), seven smaller pits, a Russian Orthodox chapel with a cemetery and fence, artifacts scattered on the ground, and a distinguishable fish drying area. There was some looting at the site in 2015 that exposed a few historic artifacts, and minor erosion is evident along the southern border of the site, but overall, Qinuyang retains historic integrity. Qinuyang is significant at the local and regional levels under Criterion A for its association with the 1918-1919 influenza epidemic, Criterion B for association with Anuska "Blind Grandma" Kasylie, an important Yup'ik elder for the Kvichak River and Iliamna Lake region, and Criterion D for the site's potential to provide important information about the Yupiit including the Norton and Arctic Small Tool people's use of the Kvichak River. Data from archaeological testing and documented Yupiit use of the site from 1880 to 1919 when Qinuyang was abandoned. The defined period of significance as 4,800 BP to 1919 AD. Qinuyang reflects a Kvichak River pattern of Yupiit people living in the same locations as their Norton tradition and ASTt ancestors. The Alaska SHPO and other SHPOs are committed to preserving the sites that tell the stories of America's indigenous people.

Qinuyang, an archeological district located on the Kvichak River in southwest Alaska, has been nominated for listing in the National Register of Historic Places - NPS. Qinuyang, which is also known as Old Igiugig and Kashanak, is an ancestral Yup'ik village site located on a wooded terrace at the confluence of the Kvichak River and Slushy Creek. It is a site with multiple archaeological components of Arctic Small Tool tradition (4,800-3,300 years ago), Norton tradition (2,400-800 years ago), and historic Yup'ik. The site has the remains of Yup'ik single and multi-roomed nepiaq (winter sod houses), a qasgiq (men's house), seven smaller pits, a Russian Orthodox chapel with a cemetery and fence, artifacts scattered on the ground, and a distinguishable fish drying area. There was some looting at the site in 2015 that exposed a few historic artifacts, and minor erosion is evident along the southern border of the site, but overall, Qinuyang retains historic integrity. Qinuyang is significant at the local and regional levels under Criterion A for its association with the 1918-1919 influenza epidemic, Criterion B for association with Anuska "Blind Grandma" Kasylie, an important Yup'ik elder for the Kvichak River and Iliamna Lake region, and Criterion D for the site's potential to provide important information about the Yupiit including the Norton and Arctic Small Tool people's use of the Kvichak River. Data from archaeological testing and documented Yupiit use of the site from 1880 to 1919 when Qinuyang was abandoned. The defined period of significance as 4,800 BP to 1919 AD. Qinuyang reflects a Kvichak River pattern of Yupiit people living in the same locations as their Norton tradition and ASTt ancestors. The Alaska SHPO and other SHPOs are committed to preserving the sites that tell the stories of America's indigenous people.

Alaska’s longest-running fish plant facility, the Diamond NN Cannery, is among the sites that the Alaska Historical Comm...
06/12/2021
131-year-old fish plant, other Alaska sites to be considered for national historical places registry

Alaska’s longest-running fish plant facility, the Diamond NN Cannery, is among the sites that the Alaska Historical Commission nominated for listing in the @National Register of Historic Places - NPS. The South Naknek, Alaska cannery operated almost continuously from 1895 to 2015. Katie Ringsmuth who is Alaska’s state historian and deputy state historic preservation officer has studied and researched the NN Cannery extensively. Even before her role with the state, she worked to get the site listed in the National Register “There’s 51 buildings still standing … it’s that each building tells a story,” Ringsmuth said to a reporter with Alaska Public Media. “Those buildings help tell the story of people who oftentimes are omitted or haven’t been included in that history.” Though largely segregated in the beginning, the cannery eventually became an integrated workforce consisting of workers with Italian, Scandinavian, Chinese, Filipino, and Alaska Native heritage, among others. "The fact that these buildings are still standing tells this extraordinary story of people who, you know, whose stories may be lost in the historic record, the written record,” Ringsmuth said. “So that’s why these buildings matter, and why it’s so important to care for them. And importantly, to understand, you know, the people whose lives were shaped by them.”
Native Village of South Naknek
https://www.ktoo.org/2021/05/24/131-year-old-fish-plant-other-alaska-sites-to-be-considered-for-national-historical-places-registry/

Alaska’s longest-running fish plant facility, the Diamond NN Cannery, is among the nominations for the Alaska Historical Commission to consider passing on to the National Register of Historic Places.

The house believed to be the oldest house in Worcester Massachusetts is for sale. The Captain Benjamin Flagg House, was ...
06/11/2021
Go inside Worcester's oldest home for sale

The house believed to be the oldest house in Worcester Massachusetts is for sale. The Captain Benjamin Flagg House, was built around 1717 and listed in the National Register of Historic Places - NPS in 1980. The house was built on what was a 150-acre parcel of land granted by the king of England to the Flagg family and was home to a number of generations of influential Flaggs, including American Revolutionary War Captain Benjamin Flagg. The house is assumed to have been built about 1718, when Benjamin Flagg II purchased a large tract of land in the area; however, it is not known how much of the building is his original construction, and how much may have been later alteration. "This is not for everybody. It's 1717. There's certain aspects to the house that are different, but we expect it to go quickly, and we priced it accordingly,” real estate agent Joe Abramoff said to a reporter with WCVB Channel 5 Boston.
https://www.wcvb.com/article/worcesters-oldest-house-dating-back-to-1717-is-for-sale/36559143#

The Captain Benjamin Flagg House, built around 1717, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and could be yours.

The California State Historical Resources Commission nominated the Truckee California  Veterans Memorial Building for li...
06/11/2021

The California State Historical Resources Commission nominated the Truckee California Veterans Memorial Building for listing in the National Register of Historic Places - NPS. The hall was designed by Sacramento architect George C. Sellon and built in 1939. The hall was designed in an unusual style reminiscent of a Gothic arch, suggesting the stylistic influence of military aircraft hangars or Nissen huts. The Veterans’ Memorial building became a social and community center for Truckee. In 1959, a steel tower was built next to the Vets Hall to enclose the area’s legendary Rocking Stone, an unusual balanced-rock geologic formation which later became part of the 1960 Winter Olympics for the Olympic Torch ceremony. The property was nominated for its strong association with Truckee history and its notable architecture. The California Office of Historic Preservation and other SHPOs help preserve historic buildings that tell the stories of communities throughout their states.
Visit Truckee, California

The California State Historical Resources Commission nominated the Truckee California Veterans Memorial Building for listing in the National Register of Historic Places - NPS. The hall was designed by Sacramento architect George C. Sellon and built in 1939. The hall was designed in an unusual style reminiscent of a Gothic arch, suggesting the stylistic influence of military aircraft hangars or Nissen huts. The Veterans’ Memorial building became a social and community center for Truckee. In 1959, a steel tower was built next to the Vets Hall to enclose the area’s legendary Rocking Stone, an unusual balanced-rock geologic formation which later became part of the 1960 Winter Olympics for the Olympic Torch ceremony. The property was nominated for its strong association with Truckee history and its notable architecture. The California Office of Historic Preservation and other SHPOs help preserve historic buildings that tell the stories of communities throughout their states.
Visit Truckee, California

A book about the Encinitas, California, Boathouses was released earlier this month. The book, “Miles Minor Kellogg and t...
06/11/2021
New book shows history of Encinitas boathouses through family archives

A book about the Encinitas, California, Boathouses was released earlier this month. The book, “Miles Minor Kellogg and the Encinitas Boathouses” about Kellogg, the architect of the boathouses, was written by his great-great granddaughter, Rachel Brupbacher. “When I started writing about him, I never really envisioned it was going to be a book,” said Brupbacher said to a reporter with the Encinitas Advocate. “That’s not what happened because there was so much information there, and this really terrific story emerged about Miles and the boathouses.” Kellogg used reclaimed and recycled lumber from a landmark nightclub in 1928 to build the S.S. Encinitas and S.S. Moonlight. From 1888 to 1925, the Moonlight Beach Dance Hall and Bathhouse stood as a North County San Diego landmark. The nightclub suffered during the dry years of prohibition and closed its doors. Kellogg re-purposed the lumber from the nightclub and began constructing the two non-seaworthy boat-shaped homes. The Encinitas Preservation Association acquired the unusual abodes in 2008. The houses still stand and are still lived in today. The boathouse were listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2019.
https://www.encinitasadvocate.com/art/story/2021-06-01/des

The boathouses on Third Street in Encinitas have been one of the city’s most notable landmarks for more than 90 years, with fact and fiction about their origin and architect Miles Minor Kellogg sometimes blending in local lore.

This story about the Old Hernando Elementary School in Hernando, Florida. The school was built  in 1941 and listed in th...
06/10/2021
County ponders future of Historic Hernando School

This story about the Old Hernando Elementary School in Hernando, Florida. The school was built in 1941 and listed in the National Register of Historic Places - NPS in 2001. Citrus County, Florida, has owned the property since 1999, when the school district transferred ownership to the county rather than sell it to someone who wanted to tear it down and build a convenience store on the lot. Restoration work at the school is nearly complete and is quietly serving its function as a community center, but its future is unclear. The Citrus County commissioner passed on the chance for a state grant because it required a $103,000 county cash match, which wasn’t budgeted. The Florida Division of Historical Resources and other SHPOs work with communities to help preserve the historic buildings that tell their stories.
https://www.chronicleonline.com/news/county-ponders-future-of-historic-hernando-school/article_1e6842d4-c096-11eb-a578-1750b6fd181a.html

Restoration work at the Historic Hernando School is nearly complete and is quietly serving its function as a community center.

Address

Hall Of States, 444 N Capitol St NW, Suite 342
Washington D.C., DC
20001

Alerts

Be the first to know and let us send you an email when National Conference of State Historic Preservation Officers posts news and promotions. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at any time.

Contact The Museum

Send a message to National Conference of State Historic Preservation Officers:

Videos

Nearby museums


Other Washington D.C. museums

Show All

Comments

In February 2020, the Tri-Township school board made a surprise announcement that they were proposing to close LaCrosse High School. Superintendent Kelly Shepherd has been using skewed numbers and outright lies to try to convince the community members that closing hour historic high school, the anchor of our community and the pride of the town, is the most cost-effective solution and the only way to secure a future for the Tri-Township school district. Please take a moment to check out our story about the amazing grassroot efforts and local investigative journalism in the fight to save LaCrosse High School.
The wildfires in California are devastating so much of the state. Among the hard hit places is California's first state park, Big Basin, which lost its National Register listed historic buildings among a grove of ancient coastal redwoods.
**Help Support the Sailors' Snug Harbor Cemetery Mariners Memorial Campaign** @SSHMarinersGenealogy https://www.facebook.com/SSHMarinersGenealogy/ The Descendants of Sailors’ Snug Harbor Mariners have been reaching out to Historical and Genealogical Societies, Museums, Military Veterans Groups, and Concerned Citizens, to invite them to join a Letters of Support Campaign to support their efforts to gain access to the old Sailors’ Snug Harbor Cemetery on Staten Island, in New York City, to honor their Ancestors and all of the 6,500 Merchant, Coast Guard, and Naval Mariners interred there (1834-1976), by installing a Memorial Monument (Obelisk) and holding an annual Memorial Service. Some of the Mariners were famous Sea Captains and some sailed on famous Merchant, Coast Guard, and Naval ships dating back to the American Revolution. Many were just average seamen whom sailed and endured for many years on the sea under arduous conditions. The Mariners were from many areas of the United States, Canada, and other countries. https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2244490/sailors-snug-harbor-cemetery Sadly, the Sailors' Snug Harbor Cemetery is devoid of gravestones or markers, except for 15 remaining gravestones. The Cemetery is closed and not open to the public. The Board of Trustees of Sailors' Snug Harbor have rejected the Descendants' requests to access the SSH Cemetery to honor their Ancestors. https://nypost.com/2018/12/29/caretakers-shoot-down-plans-for-monument-for-fallen-sailors/ The Descendants are collecting Letters of Support to persuade the Trustees of Sailors’ Snug Harbor to change their decision. You can help support the Descendants by writing a Letter of Support using the Support Letter Writing Instructions at the following link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sZv5VFLNWw0HA-pW2i33RhbgVFQ6oExx Sailors’ Snug Harbor has a very interesting history. It was one of the first large scale retirement facilities in the United States and the first established for Merchant Mariners. It was founded by the Randall family whom were New York City Merchant Sea Captains and Privateers during the French Indian War and Patriots during the Revolutionary War. Alexander Hamilton was a friend of the Randall family and their Attorney. He helped draft the Robert Richard Randall Will in 1801 to create the SSH Trust which funded the SSH Retirement Home. During its 140+ years of operation (1833-1976) approximately 16,000 Mariners resided there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailors%27_Snug_Harbor
My wife and I are managers of this amazing property that is for sale in Hancock, MI. We are looking for people with experience, passion, and resources to take the helm. If you know someone who might be interested in buying and rehabilitating the house, please share our info:
I thought your group might enjoy this edible version of perhaps Kentucky's best historic preservation project of 2018:
Please visit website of Wikimedia:- File:American shelf wall clock.jpg. It is 167 years old rarest antique of America which is safe with me in good condition at Kathmandu. If the concerned sector of USA want to collect it back, welcome. It worth five million US$. Contact: 977-9803037266