119 Years Ago Today
THE VILLAGE OF LANSINGBURGH IS ANNEXED TO THE CITY OF TROY
The Village of Lansingburgh became part of the City of Troy by a bill that had been signed by New York State Governor Theodore Roosevelt on April 25, 1900 that took effect January 1, 1901.
The below is taken from the Troy Times. December 31, 1900: 2 col 2.
Provisions of the Greater Troy Act Will Become Operative To-morrow—The New Officers and Those Who Will Retire From Official Life.
With the beginning of the new century to-morrow Troy will begin an important page in its history. The remaining provisions of the Greater Troy act passed by the last Legislature will become operative the first day of 1901, bringing the village of Lansingburgh on the north and small portions of the towns of Brunswick and North Greenbush on the east and south within its territorial limits. The population of the new city is more than 75,000, and the number of wards is increased from thirteen to seventeen.
Provisions of the Law.
The laws of the old city apply to the new except in the case of the Lansingburgh schools, for which special provision is made. The village police department becomes the Fourth Precinct of Troy, and the village fire department comes under the control of the city Department of Public Safety. Funds remaining in the treasury of Lansingburgh will be turned over to the city at once, and Troy will assume the debts of the village, which goes out of existence to-morrow.
The town of Lansingburgh will also disappear, that part not annexed to Troy becoming a part of the town of Schaghticoke. The new wards have already chosen representatives in the city and county legislative bodies, the provisions of the annexation act relating to elections having taken effect when it became a law.
Chief Kirkpatrick of Lansingburgh will become Captain of the new Fourth Precinct station, and the officers will be given Troy badges by Superintendent Coughlin at midnight.