St. Joseph County Historical Society of Michigan

St. Joseph County Historical Society of Michigan We are a non-profit organization of individuals who have an interest in preserving the history of this county. Come visit us at our research location, 34 N.

Our group is dedicated to preserving local county history. Main St. Three Rivers, which is open every Friday 10-4. Or visit the White Pigeon Prairie United States Land Office at 113 W. Chicago Rd. in White Pigeon during one of our Open Houses to see surveying equipment and watch our prairie grow!

Langley Covered BridgeBy Kathy Jessup PART FIVETwice more the St. Joseph County Road Commission invested state and local...
08/29/2026

Langley Covered Bridge
By Kathy Jessup
PART FIVE
Twice more the St. Joseph County Road Commission invested state and local money to preserve the transportation icon. Another overhaul was conducted in 1974 and nearly a million dollars was invested in 2008 and 2009 when Holland area contractor Anlaan Corporation took on renovations that stripped the Langley down to her foundation timbers.

The bridge was closed for more than a year during a restoration that removed and replaced the roof and siding and caissons. Asphalt that had paved over the wood planking also was removed and the bridge deck was returned to smoothed timpers.

The road commission improved the causeway approaches and installed new guardrails recycled from another location. Stone from a Centreville area farm was added to causeway shoulders to prevent erosion and another coat of brick-red paint brightened the exterior boards.

A final touch added freestanding, horizontal signs at both ends of the bridge that alerted drivers about Langley’s seven-foot height restriction. However, just weeks after the new signs were completed; an Indiana woman towing a camper ignored the warning and ended up damaging the overhead sign at the north end of the bridge and crushing the top of her camper.

The $1,000 bill she received to repair the sign was small compared to the estimated damage to her camper.

There was a time when the Langley span was just the little cousin to the 832-foot long
Grand Rapids Giant, now known as the city’s Leonard Street Bridge. But, as history eventually gave way to modernization and iron in the big city, the Langley – which is used by 1,700 vehicles on an average day – now claims the title of Michigan’s longest covered bridge.

Mendon High School Alumni report, compiled by Floy Mumby, class of 1891 and Maryella Bowdish, class of 1936. *-- Decease...
08/29/2026

Mendon High School Alumni report, compiled by Floy Mumby, class of 1891 and Maryella Bowdish, class of 1936.
*-- Deceased

08/29/2026

DESTINATION WHITE PIGEON PRAIRIE
(The 1820’s) PART THIRTEEN, A book by Kelley L. Taylor, available at the St. Joseph County Historical Society

In the 1830’s, mail was as complicated as it was important. Here is an explanation of how postage was calculated:

A single sheet of paper, conveyed not exceeding 40 miles, 8 cents; over 40 and not exceeding 90 miles, 10 cents; over 90 miles and not exceeding 150 miles and not exceeding 300, 17 cents; over 300 and not exceeding 500 miles, 20 cents; over 500 miles, 25 cents. For every double letter, or two pieces of paper, the rates were doubled, and if three sheets of paper were used the rates tripled” and so on.

DESTINATION WHITE PIGEON PRAIRIE
(The 1820’s) PART FOURTEEN, A book by Kelley L. Taylor, available at the St. Joseph County Historical Society

Relationships with the native people who remained in the area were increasingly strained, leading up to the Blackhawk War of 1832. Stagecoach travel was no longer considered safe, and the influx of westward-bound pioneers dwindled. There was also talk of bringing the railroad to southern Michigan, making the future of stagecoach travel look grim. Between his farm and the Old Diggens, Savery might have led a satisfactory life in White Pigeon, but that just wasn’t his style.
Savery was always well-informed when it came to new opportunities, and his friend Neal McGaffy might have had a hand in what came next. McGaffy’s parents and siblings were, just then, doing the hard work of pioneering in Texas (actually Coahuila, Mexico, which would one day be Texas) and McGaffey may have mentioned that the Mexican government was offering land grants to heads of households, to encourage families to improve the land with farms and homes. Not surprisingly, the Savery family left White Pigeon and departed for Texas in 1834; a ‘labor of land’ (177 acres), near San Antonio, was granted to him on February 1st, 1838. As you will see, the Saverys would not be the only family from White Pigeon to emigrate to Texas.

BURR OAK: From the Burr Oak Portrait, Vol 3.PRAIRIE RIVER PROJECT PART FIVEBut generations had taken their toll. Under t...
08/29/2026

BURR OAK: From the Burr Oak Portrait, Vol 3.

PRAIRIE RIVER PROJECT PART FIVE
But generations had taken their toll. Under the coating, ruts had worn through the bridge flooring where countless wagons had traveled. George C. Snyder and Associates, an engineering firm from Jackson, declared the bridge obsolete and recommended it’s replacement with three tubes at the cost of $13,000.00. even if the sum was to be raised by notes and road funds, it was not a minor sum. Therein lay the second objection - was this the best use of the funds.
When the town clerk repeate4d the result of the public meeting to the town council, fierce debate was entered. Mr. Reed went back to work convincing some wavering council members that the project would help the town as streets in that area were constantly erupting because of the water level.
It would help farmers by draining their lands in order that more acreage could be put to productive use. Several cows had gotten mired in the swampy soil along the river, the trauma of which reduce their milk flow. More money for farmers would bring more money to town. Mr. Reed also pointed out that eventually the town would be forced to do the project – why not now when the federal government was willing to supply funds.

Circus wagons wind their way into Constantine in 1898 while people gather to look on. (Governor Barry Historical Society...
08/29/2026

Circus wagons wind their way into Constantine in 1898 while people gather to look on. (Governor Barry Historical Society collection); Jane Ammeson book.

08/29/2026
Central School(From Robert Hair’s book on Sturgis Industries, available at Sturgis Historical Society)As its industries ...
08/29/2026

Central School
(From Robert Hair’s book on Sturgis Industries, available at Sturgis Historical Society)

As its industries grew, so did Sturgis’ school population. Although Sturgis has had to struggle continually with the growing number of students, the excellence of its schools was established early.
This photo shows Central School as it appeared in its original configuration in 1861 in the block northwest of the intersection of Nottawa and West Streets (later site of the Middle School, which was constructed in 1916-1917). The land cost $2,000, the building and furnishings $10,178.

08/29/2026

STURGIS: May 10, 1897 – E. T. Parker & Co. refuses to haul fire apparatus at May 3 rates. Replaced by Samuel Gage.

PLANT WORKERS – Shown, from left: Clifford Hecht, (brother of  E. W.); Jacob Keeslar, unknown, Thedore McKate, (nephew o...
08/29/2026

PLANT WORKERS – Shown, from left: Clifford Hecht, (brother of E. W.); Jacob Keeslar, unknown, Thedore McKate, (nephew of E.W.); Fred Hecht Jr. (brother of E. W.) and E. W. Hecht. Standing: Ralph E. Rider and his father, Eugene H. Rider. Picture courtesy of Mrs. Max Hecht.

Certipure Ice firm cooled off the city
By Mrs. Max Hecht, Sturgis
In 1924 and before, the business at 410 W. Congress was “Luce and Mamroe Fuel Co,” “Sturgis Ice and Fuel Co.,” manufactures of “certipure ice.” E. W. Hecht was plant superintendent.
In 1926, the name was changed to “Certipure Ice Co..” Officers were Eugen H. (Pop) Rider, Ralph E. Rider and Edward W. Hecht. Six route drivers and plant employees staffed the business.
In 1930 Max Hecht went to work for the company as “platform boy,” that area so-called where customers drove up for service. (Shown in the picture the ramp and platform, small storage and big storage.)
ABOUT 24 TONS of ice a day was manufactured, sold or stored driving the operational months, usually April through October, depending on the weather and demand for ice. The manufacturing of ice was an around-the-clock process seven days a week. The “storage ice” was used during the months the plant was shut down.
There was a home delivery service. The amount needed by the customer was indicated with an “ice card” placed in the pre-planned conspicuous window spot for the route driver to see the amount of 25-50, 75-100 number pounds.
There was a 24-hour “emergency” delivery service. The local hospital, meat packing company, produce company New York Central and Pennsylvania Railroad cars carrying meat, produce and perishables, were service. Local grocery stores and independent retailers were supplied. A 20-mile radius area was supplied.
BEFORE A SCARING machine was developed, the delivery men were artists with an ice pick, dividing the 300-pound cakes into 25-50, 75-100 pounds. An unintended broker cake was transformed by a crushing machine into crushed ice for sale.

08/29/2026

The ‘White Elephant’

On September 22, 1923 the Sturgis City Commission purchased from Michael Schmidt 20 acres of unimproved land lying between the Pennsylvania and Battle Creed-Goshen railroad tracks at the southwest edge of the city. Because of its location, triangular shape and gravelly nature, the land was generally regarded as worthless and for this reason had been given the popular name of “White Elephant,”
The economy-minded commissioners saw the White Elephant as a means of getting rid of the city’s storm water, which was growing in volume as Sturgis grew and more and more of it was paved.
The city arranged for storm water to be brought to the White Elephant through a 54-inch pipe; it then drained through an open ditch to lowlands at the south end.
Building a sewer line to dispose of the storm water was estimated to cost "several hundred thousand dollars.” The White Elephant cost the city $2,000.

Address

34 N. Main Street
Three Rivers, MI
49093

Opening Hours

10am - 4pm

Telephone

(269) 273-6003

Alerts

Be the first to know and let us send you an email when St. Joseph County Historical Society of Michigan posts news and promotions. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at any time.

Contact The Museum

Send a message to St. Joseph County Historical Society of Michigan:

Shortcuts

Share

Category