Richmond Community Museum

Richmond Community Museum Open Sat. and Sun. Memorial day through Labor Day for other times call; Pat Vining 785-835-6598 or D It is one of the older buildings in the town of Richmond.

The museum sits in what used to be the Putnam Hardware store and later lumberyard. What is there to see: The museum contains many artifacts relating to Richmond and the surrounding communities. There are artifacts from the current and previous churches in the town, the Richmond school and one room school houses in the surrounding community. There are 4-H displays, veterans displays, farming displ

ays, local business displays, an underground railroad display(included are accounts from residents about the last group of slaves John Brown led out of the area), there are many other displays to check out.

We had 51 7th graders in on May the 4th. They didn't have a lot of time, but they did the scavenger hunt.

We had 51 7th graders in on May the 4th. They didn't have a lot of time, but they did the scavenger hunt.

Come and join us!!

Come and join us!!

We had 40 students in this morning from Central Heights Middle School. They worked on a scavenger hunt and listened to m...

We had 40 students in this morning from Central Heights Middle School. They worked on a scavenger hunt and listened to me jibber jabber. Hope they enjoyed it as much as I did, thank you Central Heights!

Presentation Explores Women’s Suffrage in KansasRichmond, Kansas—The Richmond Community Museum will host “Fighting for E...

Presentation Explores Women’s Suffrage in Kansas

Richmond, Kansas—The Richmond Community Museum will host “Fighting for Equality: Women’s Suffrage in Kansas,” a presentation and discussion by Sarah Bell on Sunday, April 24, 2022, at 2 p.m. at the Richmond Community Museum, 119 East Central, in Richmond, Kansas. Members of the community are invited to attend the free program.

Early Kansas history is known for its progressive stance on many issues and voting rights for women was no exception. In 1867, Kansas was the first state to attempt full voting rights for women. So why did it take 50 long years to make it a reality? Despite numerous advancements and several more firsts, it was not an easy or a quick undertaking. It also didn’t include the voices of all women. White middle-class women were credited with the success of the equality movement, while their allies of color most often faced discrimination and marginalization. This talk chronicles women’s suffrage in Kansas, highlighting events, leaders, and organizations key to the passage of the 1912 voting rights amendment to the state’s constitution.

Sarah Bell is the development director for the Watkins Museum of History. She holds a PhD in history from the University of Kansas.

The Richmond Community Museum will be open to visitors beginning at noon. Sarah Bell’s presentation, which is part of the museum’s annual meeting, will begin at 2 p.m. For more information, please contact Pat Vining (785) 835-6598.

JOHN HENRY BARNESAn early Richmond photographer and artist He was born April 25, 1854 in Springfield, Illinois, the seco...

An early Richmond photographer and artist
He was born April 25, 1854 in Springfield, Illinois, the second oldest of nine children born to George and Susan Hutton Barnes. In 1867 at the age of 13 the family moved to Berea, KS. Purchasing the 160 acres adjacent to the Berea school. After several years the family sold the farm to the Perkins family and moved to a farm outside of Ottawa.
John is not easy to follow he was with the family at Berea in 1875. I could not locate him in 1880 US census. At some point he studied his craft “back east” for several years, not sure where or when. It doesn’t appear that he ever married or had children. He loved the outdoors, hunting and fishing.
In Spring of 1881 he had an art and photo gallery in Garnett. In the fall of 1881 at the Anderson County Fair he took first for a collection of pictures done in crayon and water colors. In 1882 at the Anderson County Fair he had the best crayon sketch and at Franklin County Fair he took first with a portrait painting.
In Dec. 1884 he located in Ottawa, over Westover’s Shoe Store, at 3rd and Main. By now he not only did photography and painting, he also did reproductions. He had the equipment to reproduce and enlarge photos.
He moved to Richmond in the fall of 1895. His home and possible his studio was located on the north side of Central about half way between Rigdon and Cleveland Sts. He only remained here for 5 years.
In Nov. 1900 he relocated to Meade, KS. In March of 1902 he was looking to move again, he looked as far as Santa Rosa, NM., before deciding on Garden City, KS. It didn’t last long before he was moving again.
April 1904 he moved for the last time, locating in Severy, KS. He would run his photography business there till 1910 at which time he sold his business and retired from photography.
He continued to live in Severy till his death. After retiring from photography he got involved with house carpentry and painting. He continued with this work till he died Oct. 11,1925, age 71.
Just a few extras;
In 1895 he fixed up a tent to use as a gallery while photographing in the country.
In Sept. 1896 he spent about a week in Lane. If you have one of his cabinet cards from Lane, KS. It would have been taken at this time. In July 1897 he did the same thing in Williamsburg.
With the equipment and the ability to reproduce photos, there are photos that he did not take, but reproduced for someone, that show up on his cabinet cards.

Ad from Greeley News Mar. 15, 1883, Ad from Independent Journal Aug. 20, 1885, photos; 18 women on a picnic @1899, Richmond School May 1896, Threshing late 1890s, Williamsburg Stockyard July 1897. Richmond Museum photos.

REVEREND ROBERT A. BOYD   Several weeks ago I decided to do a story on another Civil War veteran that had lived in the a...

Several weeks ago I decided to do a story on another Civil War veteran that had lived in the area. This was going to be a simple story of a very prominent man. However, as I got into it there were twists and turns I didn’t expect.
Robert Andrew Boyd was born Dec. 11, 1844 in Washington County, Iowa. He was the only child of Robert and Sarah Boyd. The church baptismal records show his baptism April 28, 1845. On the same page 10 lines up it shows Alexander Dawson’s baptism, the son of Matthew and Ann Dawson. A few months later Matthew dies and in 1846 Robert Boyd and Ann Adair Dawson are married. Robert A. now has 2 step siblings and he would end up with 4 half siblings.
He joined the Associate Presbyterian Church about 1861 at Washington, Iowa. It was under the pastorate of Rev. Samuel Hindman, who had just moved there, a man I believe had a profound influence on young Robert.
On May 25, 1864 the 45th Regiment Iowa Infantry was formed for 100 day enlistment, Robert joined Co. B. They were sent to Memphis to guard the Memphis and Charleston Railroad. They were mustered out on Sept. 16, 1864. In that hundred days they lost 21 men to diseases. Thus ended his military career.
In 1869 he entered Monmouth College and then continued his studies at Iowa State University getting his degree in 1872. By this time he had decided to enter the ministry. He went to Pittsburg, Ind. to study Theology under Rev. Samuel G. McNeel for four years.
While in Pittsburg he met Rebecca Jane Smiley daughter of Robert and Mary Smiley. They were married Sept. 20, 1875 in Pittsburg by The Rev. Samuel G. McNeel. After completing his studies he heads to Berea, Kansas.
The Associate Presbyterian Church at Berea also known as Bethel. According to the Churches session minutes they arrived in 1877.
(An excerpt from the minutes.)
"June 17th 1877. Mr. Robert A Boyd arrived in the bounds of the Associate Congregation of Bethel Kansas to fill appointment from the Associate Presbytery of Iowa. The said Associate Congregation of Bethel presented a unanimous call to the said Presbytery for the two thirds of the said Mr. Boyd’s time. The call was presented to the said Mr. Boyd to which he signified his acceptance. The said Associate Presbytery of Iowa made an appointed meeting to be in the said Associate Congregation of Bethel at which time being the 3rd day of Oct. the said Mr. Boyd was on the usual trials ordained to the ministry in the Associate Church on the 4th day of Oct. 1877 and installed Pastor of the Associate Congregation of Bethel Kansas for two thirds of his time."
Berea was not unheard of by the Boyd’s, there was the Alex McGinnis family they moved to Berea about 1870. They had been members of the same church as Rebecca in Indiana. There was also Robert’s step brother, Alexander Dawson, he came to Berea and joined the church here in 1868, he married Martha Harbison in 1870, became a church elder and later moved back to Iowa in 1874.
On Oct. 4, 1877 Rev. Boyd was installed as pastor of Bethel. I believe it was probably Rev. H. L. Brownlee that the Iowa Presbytery sent to preside over the installation.
The first Sunday for the Rev. Boyd included 3 baptisms and 2 new members. Below is an excerpt from the session minutes. I found it interesting that 2 of the infants were given the middle name Boyd. The 2 new members were his wife and mother-in-law.
"There was a meeting of the Session of Bethel Congregation on Sabbath the 7th day of Oct.
There were presented three children for Baptism:
James Boyd infant son of Andrew G. & Metilda Cuningham
Andrew Boyd infant son of Alexander J & Jane Spencer
Mary infant daughter of Alexander & Jane Wynekoop
There was several persons admitted by certificate Mary Smiley of Pleasant Run Carroll Co. Indiana Rebecca P Boyd of Pleasant Run Carroll Co. Indiana & their names were added to the roll."
Rebecca’s parents came to Berea with them her father passed away just a couple months after Robert’s installation, in Dec. of 1877. Her mother would pass in 1880, both are buried in the Berea Cemetery.
Rev. Boyd would remain the pastor here for the next 23 years. During that time he seen the church moved from across from the cemetery entrance on Ohio Terrace to Butler and Ohio Roads, across the road from the school. The addition of a library at the church. It was his recommendation that placed one of his church members, Andrew Atchison, in charge of the Freedmen’s Academy at Dunlap, KS. Alexander Harbison, another church member and brother to Martha Harbison Dawson, would join Atchison at Dunlap as a teacher.
In 1900 Rev. Boyd would resign as pastor of Bethel. He moved to Stafford, Ks. to become pastor of the church there. He did return to Berea at least once, he officiated at the installation of Rev. Willis McNeel on July 29, 1908.
In 1911 due to failing health Rev. Boyd had to resign. He and his wife continued to live in Stafford. On Nov. 22, 1915 he passed away at his home surrounded by his wife and their six children also present was Rev. Willis McNeel. He was laid to rest in the Stafford Cemetery and was joined there in 1923 by his wife Rebecca.
While doing the research there were certain names I kept running into that seemed closer than just acquaintances. Upon further research I found some answers, I’ll try to relate.
We’ll start with Rev. Samuel Hindman and his wife Anna (McKeeman) they lived in Monroe Co. Ohio. Their oldest daughter Jane married Samuel G. McNeel and they were the parents of Rev. Willis McKeeman McNeel. (Rev. Willis McNeel was the father of Marguerite McNeel, wife of George C. Dietrich). Samuel and Anna’s youngest daughter also named Anna married Rev. Hugh L. Brownlee. Samuel McNeel and Hugh Brownlee were brothers-in-law and 1880 they were editors of a magazine, ‘The Associated Presbyterian’.
Anna Hindman died in 1842 and Samuel married Hannah Boyd in 1844. I have not been able to confirm, but Hannah may have been Robert Boyd Sr.’s sister. If this is the case then Rev. Hindman would have been Rev. Boyd’s uncle. If this is the case then Rev. Boyd would be a cousin of Samuel G. McNeel and Hugh Brownlee. He probably lived with the McNeels while in Indiana.
A few other side notes:
Mathew and Ann Adair Dawson were married in Ohio by Rev. Hindman.
Rev. Samuel G. McNeel had two other sons that were Ministers and had unusual ties to Richmond.
Samuel H., Willis’ older brother, had a church in Canada. He came to Richmond in 1907 to attend the National Synod of Associate Presbyterian Church, while here he took ill and died.
John, Willis’ younger brother, and his wife were missionaries in India for seven years. While there they left their daughter, Anna, with the McNeels here in Richmond. She was 13 when she rejoined her parents in Scotland in 1915.
Dennis Peters

JOSEPH HOWELL Joseph Howell is the only veteran of the confederate army, that we know of, that had lived in the Richmond...

Joseph Howell is the only veteran of the confederate army, that we know of, that had lived in the Richmond area. He and his family were here from 1882 – 1886. They lived northwest of town (see attached map). We don’t know if there was any animosity between him and his neighbors, as many of them had served in the union army. Some of his neighbors that served where; Reno, Dorman, Savage, Kirkland, Morford and Canfield.
Joseph Howell was born in Floyd County, Virginia January 31, 1836 to Daniel and Nancy Howell. He grew to manhood working on the family farm with his brothers and sisters. He must have received some type of education as he could read and write.
Right after the start of the war he enlisted in Co. A 24th Virginia Infantry Regiment. This company was made up men from Floyd County and was known as the “Floyd Riflemen”. The regiment at the start of the war was under the command of Jubal Early.
I have seen no record of Joseph having been wounded or captured which seems amazing when you look at the engagements this regiment took part in. Some of the engagements he took part in; 1st Manassas, Peninsula Campaign, Williamsburg, 2nd Manassas, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Gettysburg, Cold Harbor, Siege of Petersburg, Appomattox.
I don’t know how many casualties this regiment suffered through the war. I can give some numbers, in April 1862 the regiment numbered 794, before the Battle of Gettysburg in July 1863 they fielded 395. Joseph and his regiment were a part of Pickett's Charge, of the 395 that took the field that day 163 were killed, wounded, missing or captured.
At the end of the war Joseph returned home and in 1867 he married Mary Nixon, he was 31 and Mary was 17. They started their family in Floyd County, VA. By the time they moved to Kansas in 1882 they had four children ranging in age from 1 to 9.
We don’t know much about their time here. I only found out this veteran was here by the 1885 Kansas census, which asks about military service. The only other thing that mentioned them was a newspaper article from the Ottawa Herald dated Nov. 4, 1886. It stated they were having a sale on Nov. 12 and moving to Virginia.
They lived the remainder of their lives in Virginia. In the 1900 census it stated they had 7 children 6 still living. Their daughter May it said was born in Oct. 1885 in Virginia. That date would indicate she was born at Richmond. Was this an oversight or not wanting to acknowledge she was born in Kansas? However, I did find her in the 1920 census and she did say that she was born in Kansas.
Joseph passed away Sept. 12, 1912. After his death Mary applied to the state of Virginia for a pension for his service. One of the questions was asking, how long they lived in Floyd County? Her answer was, “all my life except four years we lived in Kansas.” Mary passed away 3 years later on Mar. 3, 1915. Both are buried in Floyd County Virginia.
This was going to be the end of the story. Then I ran across something that added to the story. There may not be any descendants around here, but very probably relatives. So for the rest of the story.
In 1880 Joseph and Mary had two nieces and a nephew living with them. Joseph’s brother was in prison and four of his children were living with relatives. Other than the three with Joseph there was another living with a sister and her husband by the last name of Shepard.
When they came to Kansas in 1882 there were 2 nephews and a niece that came with them.
One of the nephews was Isaac Shepard and his wife Alice. They may have came because of family tensions. They were married in North Carolina in 1881. The license said he was 21 and she was 18. Four years later in the 1885 census he was 25 and she was 17. Which would explain getting married across the state line. Your not known and can lie about your age and no one knows. I don’t know much about them and they probably returned to Virginia.
The niece that came was Laura Howell she was 12 when they came to Kansas. She did not return on Nov. 11, 1886, the day before the sale, she married Samuel McDaniel. They were married in Ottawa by the probate judge. The marriage license says she was 18 actually she was 16. They raised their family and lived around Richmond most of their lives. They were members of the Richmond Methodist Church. She passed away in 1918 at the age of 48. Samuel passed away in 1931 age 71. Both are buried in the Richmond Cemetery.
The other nephew was David Howell he was 9 years old on arrival in Kansas. When Joseph and family returned he remained even though he was 13. He probably lived with his sister and brother-in-law for a time. On Dec. 15, 1897 he married Sina Reno she was the daughter of William Reno, he was the neighbor of Joseph’s. Most of their lives were also lived a round Richmond. I didn’t find David in any membership records for the church’s, but those records are not complete. He is listed in the United Presbyterian records as passing away in 1949, he was 87 or 88. Sina is shown as joining the Methodist Church in 1912 along with her son Roy. Sina remarried on Dec. 15, 1952, yes the same day, she married James Souders. She passed away in 1983 she was 103 or 104, her mother had also lived to 100. Sina is buried next to David in the Richmond Cemetery.


When things seem rough, remember how it once was. Pictures; Threshing late 1890’s, Dunbar’s threshing,Haying on Putnam f...

When things seem rough, remember how it once was.

Threshing late 1890’s,
Dunbar’s threshing,
Haying on Putnam farm 1906,
Baling hay late 1930s on the George Atchison farm.

FAIR TIME JULY 8, 9, & 10Museum will be open 2 PM – 8 PM thru the fair closed Sun. the 11th.“Richmond Main Street” power...

FAIR TIME JULY 8, 9, & 10
Museum will be open 2 PM – 8 PM thru the fair closed Sun. the 11th.

“Richmond Main Street” power point presentation will be given Fri. & Sat. (9th & 10th) at 10 AM both days at the METHODIST CHURCH.


Found photos- Beachner Grain found these two photos and donated them to the museum.
Taken in 1950. Cecil Vining had back surgery and was laid up for 3 months. His neighbors got together and did his farm work.


Sunday the museum held their annual meeting to open for the summer. The speaker was Dennis Peters who discussed the early buildings and businesses in Richmond, KS until 1980.

Sat. May 29th marks the opening of the museum for the summer.Open Sat. & Sun. 1 – 4 PM till Labor Day. This Sun. May 30t...

Sat. May 29th marks the opening of the museum for the summer.
Open Sat. & Sun. 1 – 4 PM till Labor Day.
This Sun. May 30th at 3:00 PM we will have a special program.
Dennis Peters will be showing about 100 pictures of Richmond Main Street and some of the businesses from 1880 – 1980.
Seating is limited, we are planning to tape and post on face book. Also may repeat later in the summer.
The news letter will be out later this year. If you would like to go ahead and make your contribution; checks can be made out to Richmond Community Museum.
Mail - Richmond Community Museum, PO Box 284, Richmond, KS. 66080.
As you know we operate on your donations and what ever grant money we can get. Thank all of you for your continued support. Hope we see you this summer.
The pictures; Putting up hay on Putnam farm 1906, man front center is Wally Akin.
Threshing before 1900.
Richmond Stock Yards date unknown.

REV. HUGH & SARAH JANE NEVILLE Sometimes you find a story and it just haunts you to know more. Thirteen years ago I ran ...


Sometimes you find a story and it just haunts you to know more. Thirteen years ago I ran across Hugh’s obituary and shared his story, as I knew it, in a church meeting. Over the last few months it has been pulling me to find out more on this couple. I tried to find Sarah’s obituary, but couldn’t and it is probably good that I didn’t, I will explain later. It was a difficult task as their story covers 3 continents and 5 countries.
Hugh Neville Jr. was born near Warwick, England on April 4, 1874. He was the seventh of twelve children of Hugh Sr. and Emily Neville. In England’s 1891 census Hugh Sr. was a tailor and Hugh Jr. (17) was listed as a brass dresser.
In 1899 with the outbreak of the Boar War, Hugh joined his friend Rev. Dane Quiver in South Africa, who was a chaplain in the British Army. His work was in the hospitals and camps of those wounded in the war. It was here he met Sarah Jane Regan Parkes, a widow, and her son Arthur Regan Parkes.
Sarah Jane Regan was born in Dublin, Ireland around 1861. She was the oldest of six children born to Jame Ryan and Elizabeth Regan. By 1866 the family had moved to England. In the 1881 census she is 21 teaching and living with her father and Alice (9), her youngest sister. I have no idea what happened to her mother and her other brothers and sisters.
September 11, 1888 in Wolverton, England, Sarah Jane Regan and Arthur Thomas Parkes were married, he was 22 she was 28. Arthur’s occupation was a carriage maker. Sept, 26, 1892 while still living in Wolverton their son Arthur Regan Parkes was born. At some point in the next few years they moved to South Africa. August 31, 1897 he died, he was 31 and he was a construction worker. I can’t read much more than that as his death certificate is in Dutch. Sarah was a 36 year old widow with a 6 year old son living in South Africa with no relatives around. I’m not sure how she made a living. Possibly, she worked in the hospitals or around the camps and that is how she met Hugh, may never know.
The Boar War came to an end on May 31, 1902. Hugh and Sarah were married on July 15, 1902 in Bloomfountain, South Africa. Shortly there after, Hugh, Sarah and Arthur returned to England. In 1911 Hugh and Sarah were living in Workington, England, Hugh occupation was listed as “Evangelist in Charge Mission Duke Street”. I could not find Arthur at this time, but in 1912 he was in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
In 1913 Hugh and Sarah moved to Edmonton as well, Hugh entered the Presbyterian Seminary there. While in seminary he had preaching charges in the area.
Jan. 4, 1915 Hugh and Sarah entered the U. S. for the first time. They headed to Freeman, Iowa where Hugh joined the Methodist Ministry and in 1916 he was sent to a new church in Ogden, Utah. While there they received word of Arthur’s death.
Arthur, who had remained in Edmonton, joined the Canadian Infantry on July 15, 1915. He died in an army hospital in Edmonton on March 9, 1916 and was laid to rest in the Edmonton Cemetery. He died about a month before his unit shipped out to France.
For the next 18 years Hugh served churches Akron, Eaton, Horton and Fowler, Colorado. In June 1934 he was sent to fill the vacancy in the Methodist Church here in Richmond. He was 60 and Sarah 74 coming to an area where they knew no one.
Rev. Neville was the pastor here just a couple of weeks short of five years when he passed away on May 6, 1939, about a month after he turned 65. I can only tell you a little of what he did in those five years. The church records show 40 baptisms and 66 new members no record of funerals or marriages. His obituary said, “Since his residence in Richmond for the past five years he has been one of the leading citizens and was always ready to help anyone in need of assistance.”
Perhaps the thing that says it best is his funeral as described by The Richmond Enterprise.
“Funeral services were held for Rev. Hugh Neville at the Methodist Church on Tuesday morning at 10 o’clock. Members of the Junior League, Epworth league and Rev. Neville’s young married couples Sunday school class acted as honorary pallbearers, forming an aisle through which the casket was carried from the parsonage to the church.”
“An amplifying system brought the voices of those in the program to the crowd outside the church who were unable to have seats within.”
“The visiting ministers were: Rev. W. I. Hastle and Rev. H. A. Cook of Ottawa; Rev. J. H. Anderson, Princeton; Rev. Phil Norvall, Garnett; Rev. O. Pittman, Westphalia; Dr. W. A. Keve, district superintendent, Kansas City; and Rev. W. M. McNeel, Richmond; and Rev. ______ of Ottawa.”
“Active pallbearers were: A. O. Sigler, Art Peugh, Chet Wagner, Lee Perkins, F. P. Baker, Roy Hirst, Charles Grigsby and Ray Atchison.”
“Honorary pallbearers in addition to the three church organizations were: Mr. and Mrs. W. E. Gault, Mr. and Mrs. E. M. Perkins, Mr. and Mrs. R. Freese, Mr. and Mrs. W. K. McCall, Mr. and Mrs. McLees, Dr. J. R. Smithheslaier, Mr. and Mrs. H. C. Horstick, Mr. and Mrs. E. J. Hobson, Mr. and Mrs. H. H. Ingraham, Mr. and Mrs. Virgil Smith, Mr. and Mrs. A. W. Hedrick, Charles Dunbar, M. E. Gentry, C. H. Waldo, C. H. Maxwell, Mrs. Art Pugh, Mrs. C. H. Sigler, Mrs. Wilbur Duffey, C. W. Moberly, _. D. Vallier, C. A. Studervant, Hoyt Creswell, William Dancaster and Dan Weaver.”
Upon hearing Hugh illness Alice Regan, Sarah’s sister, made arrangements and came to America to be with her sister, she arrived here on May 24th. Remember this is 1939 not the safest time to travel the Atlantic. When asked what she enjoyed about America? She replied, “Not having to keep a gas mask within reach at all times.” After a short stay she returned.
According to church records Sarah at some point made a trip back to England to visit family. She lived the remainder of her life at The Methodist Home in Topeka, where she died Aug. 23, 1947. She was laid to rest next Hugh in the Richmond Cemetery.
As I said at the start I could not find her obituary and that may have been good. There were no decedents no relatives around at all only friends that had known them a short period of time. If you looked closely at their headstone you may have realized it lists her birth year as 1878. The cemetery record shows Mar. 1, 1878. Every record I found census, boarder crossing and marriage point to early 1861.

Dennis Peters

RICHMOND’S 3 GRAIN ELEVATORS The best way to start is to give some history leading to the need of an elevator.  The Rich...

The best way to start is to give some history leading to the need of an elevator. The Richmond Enterprise in 1936 published the history of the Richmond Farmer’s Cooperative, Assn. Here is part of what it had to say.
“In 1911 a particularly dry year, with very little grain or vegetables raised, the farmers of the Richmond territory conceived the idea of buying in carload lots, each one taking his share, and in that way getting advantage of the quantity price.”
“Thus, the foundation was laid for the Farmer’s Co-operative Mercantile Society. The practice grew to such an extent that it soon became evident that a warehouse or storage building would be required to handle the business of the group, so on Feb. 14, 1914 a stock company was formed. A warehouse was built with trackage on the Santa Fe right of way.”
“The business of the Society continued to increase steadily. In 1919 a grain elevator was built for the storage end of the business. In 1920 the present store building was erected and in 1922 an addition was built to the elevator. 1924 saw the addition of a granary at the elevator and an additional warehouse was built. In 1930 the D. R. Sisler elevator was acquired rounding out the elevator facilities.”
These two elevators continued to take care of the area farmers for the next twenty years. The need arose for a larger more modern facility, in 1950 the large concrete elevator was erected. As it came into use the other two changed uses the first mostly just storage and the second became a feed mill.
I do want to add a little on the second elevators beginnings. The article only mentioned that it was acquired in 1930 from D. R. Sisler. He had moved that elevator to that location in 1928 to be closer to the railroad. In 1920 he had purchased 8 acres north of South Street and west of 59 Highway and built a feed lot. That is the area the elevator was moved from.
By 1992 the railroad had abandoned the line through Richmond. The elevators were purchased by Beachner Grain that year. As the first elevator served no real purpose and in bad repair it was taken down several years later. As times change, so do the needs, and the second was no longer needed as a feed mill. It still stands, but is not in use. Today only the third is still being used.

Dennis Peters

Summer of 2020 the museum suffered hail and wind damage. The west side had to be replaced and the front and the east nee...

Summer of 2020 the museum suffered hail and wind damage. The west side had to be replaced and the front and the east needed repairs. The insurance would cover this cost.
Wouldn’t it be nice to cover all three sides with steel siding and do away with the vinyl, but how? The cost would be more than we could afford. Then a local business, QSI, offered to donate the labor of putting the steel siding on. Because of their generosity steel siding became possible.
We hired Mike and Jan Peters to remove the old vinyl siding. QSI then went to work putting up the steel. Thanks to them we now have a beautiful steel sided museum.
Pictures of damage, vinyl removal, QSI installing steel and almost finished.


P O Box 284 119 E. Central Avenue
Richmond, KS


Be the first to know and let us send you an email when Richmond Community Museum posts news and promotions. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at any time.

Contact The Museum

Send a message to Richmond Community Museum:




Opportunities to explore and support history abound in Franklin County this weekend!

On Saturday, April 23, the Ottawa, Ks. Sunflower Piecemakers Quilt Guild Annual Quilt Show's auction supports both the Franklin County Historical Society and the Ottawa Library. Admission is $3.

On Sunday, April 24, Richmond Community Museum is hosting Sarah Bell's presentation, “Fighting for Equality: Women’s Suffrage in Kansas,” at 2 p.m. This program is free and open to the public.

Also on Sunday, April 24, Appanoose Area Preservation Society is hosting Rachel Griffis's program, "Willa Cather's Prairie" at 3 p.m. This program is free and open to the public.

The purpose of this post is to try and identify the location of my grandfather's meat market. It was called Central Meat Market. The articles are from Feb.17 and March 9, 1911. By looking at the 1903 plat map, I'm guessing it is lot 15. The 1912 photo shows the empty lots of 16.17.18 and the new bank. Does anyone know if the building behind the horses was the meat market and if it still stands?
I found a six page history of Richmond written by Mrs. Ed Morford after 1921 and before the grade school was built. Do you have it? She mentions that there was $5,000 believed to be buried in Richmond, but never found! Interesting!
Several new items will greet visitors when the Richmond Community Museum opens for its 12th season this Saturday and Sunday, May 25th and 26th. Open hours ate 1-4 p.m. and there is no admission charge.
Other new items include two copies of the book “Golden Rule Days – History and Recollections of 109 Closed Kansas High Schools” by James Kenyon. The history of Richmond High School, which closed in 1963, is included, as are those of Kincaid, LaHarpe, LaCygne, Quenemo and other high schools in the area which no longer exist. There were 650 graduates of Richmond High School from 1911-1963.
I noticed you were asking for donations of clothing made from feed sacks as I was reading the last newsletter. I remember learning to sew a hem on one of these flour sacks, my mother, Hazel Bump, saved from the Richmond Co-op store. The calico printed cloth bags of chicken feed and flour, etc. we’re always stacked on the floor, at the entrance of the store.
This information is contained in a book written by Linsee McCray. I also remember the McCray family living in Richmond. I’m wondering if this author would coincidentally be a part of that “McCray” family. Best wishes for many donations😍
SUNDAY, APRIL 29, 2 P.M. Richmond Community Museum is hosting a free program about Native American history and culture. Eric P. Anderson, professor in the Indigenous and American Indian Studies department at Haskell Indian Nations University, will talk about history and culture of the Potawatomi tribe. Anderson is a member of the Citizen Potawatomi Nation and has done extensive research and writing about the Potawatomi. Doors open at 1 P.M.; enjoy the museum and stay for the program!

Photo: Potowatomi bark house. Cropped from original image. Courtesy of, Kansas Historical Society.
I read an article on your page some time ago - post 833794073378627
It was about my husband's ancestor, Samuel Francis Carson's Underground Railway in Richmond, Franklin County, Kansas. My son is needing the story to add to his Master's Thesis. I have the link as daughter., but it will not come up when I put in that for search or try to find it with that post number.
I also have:,%20Monroe,%20Indiana,%20United%20States&msbdy=1845&msdpn__ftp=Richmond,%20Franklin,%20Kansas&msddy=1935&msfng=Martin%20Luther&msfns=Carson&msmng=Mary%20Emaline&msmns=Wyley&msgpn__ftp=Franklin,%20Kansas,%20United%20States&msgdy=1867&mssng0=Margaret%20Jane&mssns0=Garrett&mscng0=Celia%20Dawson&mscns0=Carson&mscng1=Fannie%20May&mscns1=Carson&mscng2=Alice%20Jessie&mscns2=Carson&mscng3=Harry%20Martin&mscns3=Carson&mscng4=Arthur%20Ross&mscns4=Carson&_83004003-n_xcl=f&cp=0&catbucket=r&uidh=000&pid=LZ61-18T&pcat=39&fh=0&h=4235394&recoff=4%205%206&ml_rpos=1

But it will not come up either. It was a very well written article...much better than the newspaper article that we have about him from the Garnett Review 1969. I do not have an actual date as it was cut off. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!