08/07/2026
FRIDAY HERITAGE HIGHLIGHTS!
In 1852 as the health-giving waters had attracted more and more settlers, Malcolm Jr., grandson of "Sailor" Hector, built a hotel on the hill above the spring, a long, low house with a piazza running the length of the front, which was patronized for upwards of 40 years. At his death, his brother, "Red" Hector, took control. In 1891 a new and larger building was erected near the same site by S.R. Townsend and called Hotel Townsend, and which served the public for nearly a half century longer. Becoming unsafe, eventually it was closed and donated to the college and parts used to build a gymnasium there. The land was sold and now the site is occupied by the Mac-Land Chevrolet, Inc. The opening of the first hotel on July 4, 1852 was a great event. The Lumber Bridge Light Infantry came over and took part in the festivities. That same year Malcolm and his brother-in-law, A.D. McNeill, built and operated the first store, and a small frame school building was erected near the hotel and was also used for religious and social gatherings. About this time agricultural fairs were begun and held each year until the outbreak of the War Between the States. In the early 1880's they were renewed, large buildings erected, a race track laid off, and were great occasions for a number of years. One very special occasion in the middle 80's was the presence of Ex-Governor Zebulon Vance, the much beloved "War" Governor. He was met at the depot by a procession of outstanding citizens and the route from there to the fair grounds in the northern part of town has ever since been known as Vance Avenue.
Quotations from The Robesonian of August 14, 1878, speak thus: "Red Springs, the delightful resort, now offers superior advantages to a limited number of select guests, as the hotel is refurnished this season and with daily mail connection." And again, "Don't forget the picnic at Red Springs next Saturday. This place is becoming a favorite resort under new management. There is no doubt about the medicinal properties of the water." But in 1884 a little booklet entitled, "All about Robeson County" remarks, "All that is necessary to make the Springs a place of resort for the general public is good hotel accommodations. The property where the springs are located is owned by gentlemen of capital and enterprise, so it is hoped such accommodations will be soon effected." The August issue of the town paper, The Scottish Chief, in 1888 says, "Capt. Blocker has built a bathing house at the spring for the accommodation of the hotel boarders. Give us a finer hotel, skating rink, ten-pin alley, and other attractions and the place will be over-run with visitors." In 1880, John McEachin started a turpentine still, located about where the cotton platforms are. Later it was bought by the Buie brothers who also ran a general store nearby.
The years 1884-85 were momentous ones for the little village. Up to that time communication with the outside world was slow. Mail was brought from Lumberton two or three times a week by a man driving a sulky or dog cart, his approach being announced by a bugle blast.
(EXCERPT FROM A BRIEF HISTORY OF RED SPRINGS BY MRS GEORGE BULLOCK)
Send a message to learn more