08/30/2026
PLATTSBURGH REPUBLICAN – January 24, 1880 – 146 years ago
“The first settler at Sciota is believed to have been Henry B. Titchout, though this is by no means certain. The names of some of the other old settlers are Asa Angell, who cam up to his possessions the first time in a canoe, Niles Helms, Obadiah and Isaac Maxfield, Joseph Ober, Jeremiah Hedges, George Stafford, with his father, Benjamin, and his brother, Abel, lived about two miles southeast of Sciota village before the war, returning to Esses during the war troubles and coming back to town in 1829, and Noah Stafford, son of George Stafford, settled here in 1841.
Joranthum Ober is probably now the “oldest inhabitant,” he having come here in 1820, where he still lives at Ober’s Corners, about half a mile above the village, at the “four corners” of the roads leasing north and south, and east and west; and the next oldest is probably Noah Stafford, who for forty years, has been intimately connected with the business interests of the place. The first settlement was about a mile below the village, and was called Angellville, after Asa Angell, one of the very earliest settlers.
The origin of the name Sciota, as applied to this place, is as follows: The first settlers in Chazy appeared to have contracted “Western Fever,” and some of them or their friends went to Scioto County, OH, about a hundred miles of Cincinnati, and there was much talk of that place, it being represented as a perfect paradise, and many Chazy people longed to be there. One day, old Mr. Sherman of Chazy village, a blacksmith, went up towards the headwaters of the Corbeau River, and was transported with the sight of the pleasant prospect (the rocks in the soil had not been uncovered then) that he told his friends he had been to Scioto. This appears to have passed into a sort of proverb, and so, when a post office and station came to be established, it was called Sciota.”
Today, when you travel north on Rte. 22, there is a historic marker for Ober’s Corners where it crosses the Miner Farm Road in Sciota.