08/29/2026
The spacious Craftsman style house at 400 W. Broadway was built in 1920. It was owned and lived in by Dr. Phillip B Steckman, Mrs Margerat Dobson Steckman and her sister Miss Kate Dobson. The Steckman’s had one daughter Lilian Lois Steckman, PhD.
Dr. Steckman practiced country medicine in Plattsburg for fifty years. He worked when doctors still went out to their patients' homes in the middle of the night if necessary. One winter night, he drove to farmer Berton’s home on the A P Fry farm to treat a broken arm. Mr. Berton had fallen on the ice. Dr. Steckman drove on icy roads and set the arm.
Mrs. Margaret Steckman took care of the home raising their daughter Lilian. She also was a staunch member of the Methodist Women's Aid Society serving many years as president.
In addition to the strenuous medical practice, they ran a drug store downtown preparing medications for patients. They found time to serve in various ways in the community, social and business activities in the area. For several years Dr. S served as a member of the Plattsburg Board of Education: also a member of the City Council He has served as county physician and for several years acted as surgeon for railway companies operating in the county He was a member of the Clinton Medical Society, the Missouri State Medical Society.
He attended medical college at the University of Michigan later completing his education at Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia. He was married to Miss Margaret Dobson in 1893. The couple moved later that year to Plattsburg to start the practice. Miss Margaret grew up in Tennessee while her husband came to Trenton, Missouri from Florida as a child. One daughter, Dr. Lilian Lois Steckman attended Plattsburg schools and received a Doctorate at the University of Michigan later teaching college classes in New York City. She lived in Albany, New York.
It is interesting to note Dr. Phillip was surgeon for the Quincy, Omaha and Kansas City Railroad and the Rock Island line. It was reported in the Plattsgurg Leader on August 26 1939 he was one of four Plattsburg residents who witnessed the last Motor Coach leaving the Quincy, Omaha and Kansas City railroad station The three railroad Depots in Plattsburg thrived during the years Dr. Steckman served. That night was the beginning of the end of the train era in Missouri. The OK line began operation in 1897 ending in 1941. The OK depot building was converted for private use late donated by Ed Phillips to the Lathrop Showgrounds where it can be seen during events today. The Sante Fe railway station is still standing and is currently being restored with community support at its original location on the north side (500 N 7th Street) in Plattsburg. Story by Stuart Jenkins. More information is available at the Clinton County Historical Museum in Plattsburg.