Kalo Foundation of Park Ridge
Little known facts about the Park Ridge Country Club
Photos and quotes from the PRCC 100th Anniversary Book 2006
In 1912 Frank Lloyd Wright remodeled the Robb Farmhouse into a clubhouse for the Park Ridge Country Club in his famous prairie style. Unfortunately it was only used for about 10 years. The structure could not be used in the cold months and the shower and kitchen facilities were inadequate. It was used as a caddy shack until it was torn down in 1946.
Mrs. Edward Wickwire paid to have the well on the grounds developed into a pond and in 1922 commissioned local sculptor Alfonso Iannelli to carve a fountain in the middle of the pond. The fountain was in honor of her husband "who was a loyal member of the Club and put many a ball in the old pool." Unfortunately the fountain and pond were replaced with what is now the 10th tee.
In the 1920's Park Ridge Country Club commissioned silverware from the famous Kalo Shop founded by Clara Barck Welles. Two months after Clara Barck Welles' divorce in 1916, ex-husband George Welles died of a heart attack after a long drive on the 18th tee at the PRCC.