The Pascack Historical Society is a 501(c)(3) organization that was incorporated on October 13, 1942, by a group of historically minded citizens. It is a membership-based not for profit organization that promotes and preserves the early history of the Pascack Valley and its peoples.
The Society owns and maintains the John C. Storms Museum, namesake of our founder, located in Leach Chapel, erected in 1873, as well as Berdais Hall, which was erected in 1999 thanks to funding by a longtime member, resident of Westwood, and friend of the museum, Ellen Berdais.
The Society is home to the worlds only Wampum Drilling Machine, which was used in Park Ridge during the mid to late 1800s by the Campbell Family of Park Ridge, which drew the likes of John Jacob Astor of American Fur Company to trade pelts for Wampum to trade with Western Native Americans. Park Ridge was also home to Mittag and Volger, which at its pinnacle, was the largest manufacturer of typewriting ribbon in the world. These first industries started in Park Ridge are what turned Park Ridge into a large trading post, and then a future living destination, helped the town embody their motto, “Through Industry We Florish.”
We are admission-free and open to the public on Wednesdays from 10 AM to noon and on Sundays from 1 to 4 PM. Group tours are accommodated at other times by prior arrangement. The Pascack Historical Society receives no regular government funding and relies on membership dues and donations to keep our boat afloat. Your donations are always appreciated and welcome.