09/01/2026
Palmyra's local banking business began with Wayne County Bank of Palmyra, organized in 1830. The bank operated on Main Street until terminating operations in 1840.
Pliny Sexton established the Palmyra Bank in 1844. George W. Cuyler then opened the Cuyler Bank inside the Wayne County Bank's old offices. Both banks were later combined, briefly becoming Cuyler's Bank of Palmyra. Mr. Cuyler served as president, with Mr. Sexton as vice president. Eventually, this became the First National Bank of Palmyra in 1864.