Oakwood Historical Society

Oakwood Historical Society 1947 Far Hills Avenue
Oakwood, OH 45419
(937) 299-3793
[email protected]

Soon after the incorporation of the Village of Oakwood in 1908, the citizens of Oakwood realized the necessity of establ...
08/28/2026

Soon after the incorporation of the Village of Oakwood in 1908, the citizens of Oakwood realized the necessity of establishing their own school. The first Board of Education members were elected that June and sworn into office by Harry E. Talbott, the Village’s first mayor.

In June of 1909, the board acquired a portion of land near the present-day intersection of W. Dixon and Harman Avenues through a $7,000 bond issue. This property included an existing building, once a barn converted into living quarters. The board converted the building into the first Oakwood Village School. It opened to its first students that same fall with 25 students.

The Green Barn, as it was referred to by parents and school children alike, contained two upper classrooms— one for first through fourth grades and the other for the fifth through eighth grades. The two classrooms could be combined by opening folding doors to allow for one large gathering space. Restrooms were located in the basement in former box stalls.

Miss Muriel Self taught the younger students and former student, Dean Miller, recalled her fondly, “We worshipped her and thought she was wonderful.”

The student population began to rapidly increase. To alleviate the overcrowding of the Green Barn, Col. Harry E. Mead offered a bungalow on his estate to house the first Kindergarten classes in 1911. Soon after, Katharine H. Talbott opened her third floor ballroom at her Runnymede estate to house some 20 of the youngest students. But Katharine apparently neglected to inform her husband, H.E. Talbott. He watched from his home office at Runnymede as he saw “one- two— three— and finally— twenty— small children walk solemnly across the front hall and file up the stairs.”

“You’d be surprised how quiet they are,” Katharine told him.

“I’ll be surprised all right,” her husband responded.

The children attended classes at Runnymede for the next 18 months.

Mabel Creager, the daughter of the Village’s Marshall, reminisced in her oral history, “I was very fortunate. I got to go there [Runnymede] for a couple of years. A chauffeur by the name of Harvey in a big Packard limousine would take groups of us right to our door on bad nights.”

In 1912, the esteemed architect, Louis Lott, was hired to design a new, permanent brick building on the same site as the Green Barn. Costs soon soared to nearly $20,000, and the difference was donated by an anonymous resident—rumored to be Oakwood resident, John. H. Patterson, founder of the National Cash Register Co.

The new school opened in 1913, but the student population continued to soar. In 1915 another election was held to fund the addition of an auditorium, gymnasium and library— and to add a playground. Dexter & McCure was hired as architects, and the famed Olmsted Brothers as the landscape designers.

In 1922, a $175,000 bond was approved by the Village for the “enlargement and modernization” of the school. This improvement, designed by the architectural firm of Schenck and Williams, includes, among many others, the now familiar front-facing colonnade, the courtyard— and a wading pool!

The Oakwood Village School is now known as Harman School. Oakwood Schools

One hundred years ago, the Shafor Boulevard School officially opened the doors of five cottages to the children of South...
08/14/2026

One hundred years ago, the Shafor Boulevard School officially opened the doors of five cottages to the children of South Oakwood for the 1926 school year. A sixth cottage was soon added.

The new elementary school was necessitated by the Village of Oakwood’s annexations of more land extending to the present-day southern corporation line during the summer of 1926. These southern annexations resulted in a new housing boom—and a huge increase in population. The Village purchased a portion of the former farm of Emma Long Conover for the site of the new school.

The cottages housed kindergarten through fifth grade classes, and first year pupils numbered 110. By the end of the 1928–29 school year the total number of students had more than doubled.

The cottages were erected in a row along Shafor Boulevard, between the then dirt roads of Aberdeen and Telford. Each cottage included a small cloak room and the “classroom” was warmed by a potbelly stove. Toilet facilities were in a separate building, accessed by a boardwalk, which one teacher recalled resulted in “the children to be outdoors a lot.”

One oral history recalls that only one teacher drove to the school in a car, whereas most others arrived by the trolley that ran along Far Hills Avenue. Another student recalled the noise from the construction work of the new building directly behind the cottages. “They were pounding and hammering and pounding and hammering, and oh, you never heard such noise!”

The new school building, designed by the esteemed architectural firm of Schenck and Williams, was noted in a news article as “a handsome English residence style, designed to fit the town planners’ belief that all the buildings should reflect the characteristics of a beauty-loving home-owning community.”

The new building, now named Smith Elementary, was completed in time for the 1929 school year, and the little cottages were sold at auction.

On 15 July 1907, the people of Oakwood arrived at the second red brick schoolhouse on the Cincinnati Pike to cast their ...
07/15/2026

On 15 July 1907, the people of Oakwood arrived at the second red brick schoolhouse on the Cincinnati Pike to cast their vote on whether to incorporate the tiny suburb as the Village of Oakwood. The vote was in favor, 76 to two.

The election was not without some contentions and much controversy. The first petition to incorporate was taken to the county commissioners, but it was discovered they did not have jurisdiction. A second petition, signed by 36 Oakwood men, was then submitted to the three-member Van Buren Township Board of Trustees. Two of these board members were very opposed to the incorporation, the third was in favor of the incorporation— that board member, incidentally, was a resident of Oakwood.

The Van Buren Board of Trustees initially refused to allow Oakwood an election, but were later forced by the courts—along with the strong influence of founder of the National Cash Register Co. John H. Patterson— to allow the people of Oakwood to vote on the matter.

One newspaper article that was published five days prior to the election stated “It was said today that if the election results in favor of the village scheme, injunction proceeding would perhaps be instituted in an effort to prevent the village from incorporating.”

The Village of Oakwood was officially incorporated on January 9, 1908.

Almost immediately following the incorporation began the discussions of the new village being annexed by the City of Dayton. This became a persistent and real possibility that led to serious discussions that stretched into the early 1930’s. In 1921 John Patterson reversed his earlier stance of keeping Oakwood a separate entity, and voiced his opinion to support the annexation of Oakwood by the City of Dayton. As did Orville Wright.

After the 1930 Census was completed— Oakwood’s growing population provided the pathway for the Village to be recognized as the City of Oakwood. By this time, the vast majority of Oakwood citizens were against annexation. A poll taken in October 1930 by the Dayton Herald resulted in 3,105 residents against annexation, 139 in favor, and 393 “doubtful”. Most residents opposing cited a favorable view toward their own governance, but the overwhelming reasoning against the annexation was due to a strong desire to retain an independent Oakwood school system.

Only one more day!! We'll see you tomorrow. Make sure to enter the property via our center sidewalk. We will have a tabl...
07/10/2026

Only one more day!! We'll see you tomorrow. Make sure to enter the property via our center sidewalk. We will have a table set up for you to get your ticket to redeem for your scoop of Graeter's Ice Cream.

A fun Saturday is coming your way. Please kindly RSVP so we can make sure to have a scoop of ice cream for you. :)
07/08/2026

A fun Saturday is coming your way. Please kindly RSVP so we can make sure to have a scoop of ice cream for you. :)

One of the earliest known settlers in what Is now Oakwood was a man named Thomas Davis—and he had served in the American...
07/03/2026

One of the earliest known settlers in what Is now Oakwood was a man named Thomas Davis—and he had served in the American Revolutionary War.

Thomas Davis arrived with the famed Newcom party that reached Dayton in the spring of 1796. Davis was a native of Wales, and a soldier taken prisoner during the Revolution—later released in Philadelphia.

After he arrived with the Newcom party, he took up residence “on the bluffs, about three miles south of the city”. The “bluffs’ was the name then used to describe the heavily wooded “far hills” south of town, now Oakwood.

It is cited that Davis arrived in Dayton with his large family, including his wife, Mary, his brother, John, and sons. The brother and his eldest sons settled elsewhere in the surrounding Dayton area, but Thomas Davis is cited as having the “only settlement on the Cincinnati Road between Dayton and Hole’s Station” (Miamisburg).

Early Dayton history recordings mention that Davis settled on what was then the “Shroyer farm” when the histories were written, circa 1850-60s.

There are conflicting dates of when Thomas Davis died, but it appears that the most accurate may be 1805, and it is currently unknown where he is interred.

Thomas Davis’ name is included on the Revolutionary War Soldiers Memorial Marker at Woodland Cemetery & Arboretum, along with one of his sons, Lewis Cass Davis. Lewis Davis is also cited as serving during the Revolution with the 1st Virginia Regiment. He died in 1809 and his remains were re-interred at Woodland Cemetery and Arboretum in 1845; his gravesite includes an impressive monument.

Another son of Thomas Davis, Owen, is also thought to have served during the Revolutionary War in Philadelphia. Owen settled near Yellow Springs after arriving in Dayton and opened the first mills in Clifton. He died in 1818 and is interred in the Clifton-Union Cemetery.

The brother of Thomas, John Davis, also arrived with the Newcom party, but he died in a tragic accident at Daniel Cooper’s mill in 1799, and it is unknown whether he also served in the Revolutionary War.

There is scant information regarding the family member’s service during the Revolution in the online archives. Thomas Davis is noted on the rolls, but with the brief citation that some Montgomery County war records were lost during the 1913 flood.

As we celebrate America250— we honor early Oakwood pioneer settler, Mr. Thomas Davis, and his family. May their bravery and service during the American Revolution not be forgotten. America 250-Ohio America250

Hugo Cook, a prominent American engineer, inventor, and instrument maker, was born in Dublin, Indiana, in June of 1857. ...
06/26/2026

Hugo Cook, a prominent American engineer, inventor, and instrument maker, was born in Dublin, Indiana, in June of 1857. Cook came to Dayton in the late 1880s with his inventions and designs in hand to work with the National Cash Register Co. for the manufacture of his machines.

Soon after arriving in Dayton, Cook purchased an approximate four-acre lot in the Town of Oakwood, near the intersection of Harman and W. Dixon Avenues. He set forth to build a carriage house and workshop—where he soon spent most of his time working on his inventions. He then built a beautiful Italianate home on the property and aptly named it “A La Campagne” — which is French for “in the countryside”.

Cook’s many patents for NCR included one of the world’s first adding machines with a printing device. He was also the holder of patents for sewing machine implements, bicycle spoke manufacturing, and numerous others. In 1895, he partnered with Harry Stoddard to form the Cook-Stoddard Company for the manufacturing of gas engines designed by Cook.

Cook’s wife, Anna, died in 1901, and Cook sold his Oakwood property in 1906. The Italianate mansion was soon razed, but Cook’s carriage house/workshop still stands, and today it is a private residence.

We have an exciting summer event coming up on July 11. We hope you can join us as we partner with our community. The Cit...
06/23/2026

We have an exciting summer event coming up on July 11. We hope you can join us as we partner with our community. The City of Oakwood Ohio, Wright Memorial Public Library, and Green Oakwood.

The legendary Dayton Golf Club officially opened on Saturday, June 4, 1898, on “a beautiful stretch of country, a part o...
06/04/2026

The legendary Dayton Golf Club officially opened on Saturday, June 4, 1898, on “a beautiful stretch of country, a part of the Houk estate in Oakwood… and a more picturesque spot could not be found anywhere.”
,
The day’s festivities began with a match game between the course designer, Willie Dunn, and the club’s newly-hired professional, Willie H***e. The evening ended with dinner and dancing at the charming new clubhouse.

The newly constructed clubhouse, built by Frank M. Andrews, offered a wide veranda across the front and sides, affording a view of the links and a magnificent view of the city. The clubhouse included a hall for dancing and the two anterooms were furnished in “antique style” with a huge fireplace.

One newspaper article described the opening day’s event “worthy of a Rembrandt’s magic brush, as the members assembled in their picturesque costumes, enjoy the dance in the fire-light’s glow, which reflects in fantastic shadows.”

The evening was not without a problem— as the clubhouse was not yet equipped with electricity. According to the "Dayton Daily Journal", in order to have lights for the evening gala, Valentine Winters and Charles Clegg “hitched up a streetcar cable and shot the current into the clubhouse, and the day’s pleasures wound up with dancing.”

The clubhouse soon became Oakwood and Dayton’s premier venue for social gatherings and entertainment. It was originally situated near the west of today’s Five Points, stretching to Kramer’s Road. The nearly 45 acres, leased from Eliza Thruston Houk, also included tennis and croquet courts. Additional acreage was later purchased from Colonel E. A. Parrott of Maysfield to enlarge the course.

On June 18, 1910, the Dayton Country Club Dayton Country Club opened its new clubhouse, on a portion of the former Kramer’s Wine & Pleasure Gardens, with an afternoon tea, dinner, and dancing— replacing the earlier Dayton Golf Club and its fabled links.

In May 1895, the Oakwood Street Railway unhitched its horses, running since 1871, to make way for its new electric cars,...
05/22/2026

In May 1895, the Oakwood Street Railway unhitched its horses, running since 1871, to make way for its new electric cars, and extended its Brown Street line down Oakwood Avenue to the Five Points Loop.

The electric streetcar line provided much faster transportation— only 20 minutes to the Loop from downtown— affording many to relocate from Dayton to the surrounding Five Points area.

But the Lebanon Pike/Far Hills Avenue hill still remained an impediment for expansion of the Village further south.

In 1915, the Village paved the hill with bricks, and the Oakwood Street Railway opened an extension up the steep climb to Aberdeen Avenue. In 1918, the railway was extended further south down the Far Hills esplanade to Hadley Avenue. This prospect of convenient transportation to downtown made people eager to move to “The Far Hills” and caused home construction to boom in the south end of Oakwood.

Oakwood’s last streetcar ran in 1936, having been replaced by the electric trolley bus.

"Photos courtesy of the Oroszi Transportation Archive at Carillon Park." Carillon Historical Park

Address

1947 Far Hills Avenue
Oakwood, OH
45419

Alerts

Be the first to know and let us send you an email when Oakwood Historical Society posts news and promotions. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at any time.

Contact The Museum

Send a message to Oakwood Historical Society:

Shortcuts

Share

Category