Raymond H. Dietrich and Thomas L. Hibbard were two young talented automobile designers who met while working at the NYC Brewster & Company. They decided to go into business for themselves. As the names of Dietrich and Hibbard were unknown to anyone outside of Brewster, a clever new name - LeBaron, Carrossiers - was arrived at by the two partners using a list of French words that had the ring of prestige and could be easily pronounced through a telephone. In February of 1920, space was leased on the 5th floor of No. 2 Columbus Circle. By the end of 1923, LeBaron had built on Packard, Lincoln, Locomobile, Pierce-Arrow, Cadillac, Simplex-Crane, LaFayette, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls-Royce, Minerva, Delage, Fiat, Hispano-Suiza, Isotta-Fraschini and Renault chassis.
Long story shortened, Chrysler Corporation, purchased the entire LeBaron operation, lock, stock and barrel for $35 million. The sale took place on December, 29, 1953. The Lebaron name was used frequently on many Chrysler cars until 1995. The name became the property of Daimler-Chrysler following Daimler-Benz’ takeover of Chrysler in 1998, but so far hasn’t been used by the German automaker. Information from Coachbuilt.com