Curator’s Corner – On this Day – October 25, 1916 – the Floating Stationhouse is opened - In the fall of 1916, Police Department obtained a barge from the Dept. of Docks. On this barge, which measured 40’ x70’, the members of the Marine Division built a small stationhouse complete with a regular police desk, telephone, dormitory, sitting room, locker room as well as a second floor observatory. This stationhouse on the water could be towed almost anywhere by the PATROL, the main boat used by Harbor Patrol. The floating stationhouse, when not being used, was moored at Randall’s Island, and for a time served as the Harbor Precinct there. So in the days before a command post vehicle could be driven to the scene of an incident, the Floating Stationhouse was available. The Police Commissioner, Arthur Woods, was present for the ceremony, and is shown behind the desk, while the others squeezed in!