Trimming the Christmas tree in Sims Park 100 years ago. (842)
Our mailing address is: P. O. Box 1904, New Port Richey, FL 34656. Our physical address is: 6431 Circle Blvd., New Port Richey, FL 34652. Open 1- 4 p.m.
on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. We are currently closed because of the virus and the holidays. We have not yet determined a date to re-open.
Trimming the Christmas tree in Sims Park 100 years ago. (842)
Santa visited the museum on Dec. 8, 2018.
Roger Jordan and Naomi from PBSS Commercial Door and Hardware Brokers of Port Richey performed some locksmith services for our new front doors today. The WPHS appreciates their support. 2020 photo by Brian Schmit.
Laurie Baker sent us this Chasco Fiesta picture from the early 1950s. She writes, "I’m the girl in the majorette outfit. I think The one with the white head band may be Shirley Casper Hudson Hudson. The lady in the big headdress is familiar but I can’t get the name to come up. The lady in the plaid dress may be Virginia Potter. The little girl to the left of Shirley, with the crown with Hearts, may be Abby Allgood." (7857)
Jeff Hudson has been hard at work installing new doors at the West Pasco Historical Society museum. Jeff is a local contractor for garage doors. He is a son of Shirley Hudson and we highly recommend him! 2020 photo by Brian Schmit.
Orange Lake area. This photo was taken by Clyde Lapham from the Goodyear Blimp, around 1930. (187)
At the museum we're installing new front doors and we found this item. It's the back of part of the casing surrounding the doors, and it's signed by Glen Hull Boring, a building contractor in Quincy, Florida, although he may have lived in Dade City at the time. He was the builder of the Seven Springs school, which is now our museum, as well as the red brick Elfers school, which were built at about the same time, 1914-1915. 2020 photo by Brian Schmit.
The Treaty of Ft. Dade - Living History Event, Second Seminole War, Saturday, December 19, 2020.
Schedule of Events:
Museum opens: 10am
Event begins: 12pm
Music from Jackson Creek 10:00am – 1:00pm
1:00pm – 2:00pm: Presentation by Jim Sawgrass on Indigenous Tribes of Florida and primitive weapons demonstration (45-55 minutes with 5-15 mins of Q&A)
2:00pm – 2:05pm: Jim Sawgrass plays Native flute
2:15pm – 2:45pm: Presentation by Keith Kohl on The Soldier/Militia Rivalry (20-25 min presentation with 5-10 mins Q&A)
3:00pm – 3:30pm: Presentation by Matt Griffin on Black Seminoles (20-25 min presentation with 5-10mins Q&A)
3:30pm – 3:35pm: Matt Griffin plays the Native flute
4:00pm: Theatrical Presentation on Fort Dade Treaty begins
4:00pm – 4:10pm: Archie Marshall presentation on Why Treaties Break Down
Archie Marshall will narrate the action of the treaty signing, as actors portray it.
4:30pm – 4:40pm: Matt Griffin presents his character in the reenactment – Abraham
5:00pm – 5:30pm: Archie Marshall narrates through a portrayal of infantry and artillery tactics by US soldiers and Seminole Indians.
5:30pm: Cannon Firing
5:30pm – 6:00pm: Daniel Tommie presents on the Breakout from Fort Brooke and The Seminole Tribe Today
A January 1962 article in the New Port Richey Press announced that a 7-acre site was acquired, to be called "Pasco Plaza." This photograph comes from a Visitors Guide, in 1964, boasting New Port Richey's latest "Gem", the Pasco Plaza. Pasco Plaza was created on an original 7 acres, fronting US 19, and West Main Street, in 1962. It was more than likely the creation of R. P. Walker and Herbert G. Brown, who created the "Brown and Walker Subdivision." This site has been home of Food Fair, Krutwigs Bakery, The Haberdashery, a TV repair/Sales store, and some others, as well as Neisners. The troubled Neisners (a Five and Dime Variety Store competing with Woolworths and Kresges) was taken over by Ames Stores in the late 70's early 80's. [Caption by David A. Henry] (431)
This post card says "Cootie River, Elfers, Fla." It is probably from the 1910s. (7856)
Many lighted Christmas trees in Sims Park. 2020 photo by Brian Schmit.
Hotel Hacienda. Postmarked June 27, 1928. Photo courtesy of Lynn S. McLarty. (2689)
Advertisement, St. Petersburg Times, Dec. 5, 1980.
Early residents of New Port Richey in 1920. That is Orange Lake on the left. Moran, Casey, Crandall, Valentine, DeVries, Stulting, Davis, Bragg, Bill Casey. Photo courtesy of Coldwell Banker - F. I. Grey & Son, Inc. (3262)
Johnny and June Carter Cash at their Port Richey home in 1980. Daphne Thorson wrote on Facebook, "We went to see him after the concert [at GHS] with our JC t-shirts on at the little house on the river - but he was resting and we were allowed to take this photo." (7855)
Here's the front cover to the just-released WPHS 2021 calendar. In the comments are pictures of three sample pages of the calendar. You can order the calendar through our gift shop at the link below, or you can become a WPHS member and get a calendar for free.
Seaboard Coastline freight station in Elfers. We don't have a good picture of this building. (2468)
Thanks to the Questers, who once again have decorated our museum for the holidays. Pictured are Jackie Lewnes, Colette Robbins, and Carolyn Sells. The museum is currently closed but WPHS members can arrange visits for themselves and guests by contacting the museum. Dec. 1, 2020, photos by Brian Schmit.
A view of homes around Orange Lake, probably in 1914 or 1915. The first home on the left was built for Vaino Voldemar Malmstrom in late 1913 and it still exists, at 6501 Circle Blvd., and the second home may still exist. The home on the right was built for James H. Casey, who moved into it in early 1914. Note that there is an animal in front of his house. (864)
LOLHS cheerleaders at Gulf High School, Nov. 2000.
Longleaf Elementary School students (and others) ready to run the Chasco Main Street Mile, Mar. 25, 2006.
Sans Souci Grove, Elfers. Date unknown. In the comments is a cropped close-up of the center of the photo. (6148)
Richey Fundamental Elementary School, 1978-79. (7075)
Sinclair Station on U.S. 19 in 1969, Trooper Harold Law. Photo courtesy of Denise Gajus (5912).
Sunset Park (later Nicks Park)
In 1968 Ralph Bellwood wrote the following about this picture:
The plot of ground shown in our picture today is significant because it embraces a bit of very early history of this area. As inscribed in the lower left corner of the picture, it is a “Park in Port Richey, Fla.” It is known today as Nicks Park, named for an oldtimer, Bob Nicks, who deeded the parcel of land to the town of Port Richey to be used as a park about 45 years ago.
We do not know when Mr. Nicks procured the land nor who owned it before him, but we do know it was used as a landing and camp ground years before Captain Richey settled on Richey Point in 1883. This particular spot was known as Hope’s Landing, so named because William Hope, great-grandfather of 75-year-old K. E. Hope, who lives in Port Richey now, came from Brooksville to this place and camped while he and his family boiled salt to keep barrels of mullet that he caught in the river and bayous.
As one can see, the picture was taken before the larger part of the land was thoroughly cleared, for stumps and brush still remain. As time passed all of this was cleaned off and one could get a view of the river and part of the Gulf at its mouth.
The house seen at the right was originally more of an open pavilion, built by the people of the community and used as a shelter if it rained when picnics were being held in the park. Later, it was enclosed and sealed on the inside. For years the building was used as City [remainder missing]. (470)
The Boulevard, New Port Richey, Florida, looking north. From a post card postmarked in 1957. (078)
Looking south on Grand Blvd., May 1983. Photo by Lillian Kreps. (4269)
Who knows where this is? The picture was found with some NPR pictures, so it's probably the Cotee River. Photo courtesy of Henry Fletcher. (7854)
WPHS staff met at the Baker House with staff of the Tampa Bay History Center on Nov. 16, 2020. In this picture are Vic Mallett, Rodney Kite-Powell, Brad Massey, Brian Schmit, and Sam Baker. The Baker House is the oldest house in western Pasco County, having been built in 1882. The WPHS will assist in managing this historic site soon. Photo by Bob Langford. A second picture is in the comments.
Interact Club, from the 1968 Gulf High School yearbook.
On what is now called Grand Boulevard, 1958 or 1959. (1119)
Because of the virus and the upcoming holidays, the Rao Musunuru M. D. Museum and Library in Sims Park is now closed. We have not yet determined a date to re-open.
If you look carefully, you'll see Joe Biden in front of the flag speaking in Sims Park on Oct. 27, 2008. He was campaigning to be vice president under President Obama. Picture by Cheryl Jennett.
Diana (Safranek) Chittum (GHS '57) was a visitor to the museum on Nov. 7, 2020. She is holding a photo taken at the grand opening of Safranek's Market in 1958. She is in the photo, standing on the far right. In the background is our wall-sized mural showing New Port Richey back in the day.
A mama duck with six ducklings visited the museum today. According to Brian Schmit, who took this picture, most of the ducks around Sims Park are Muscovy ducks.
6431 Circle Blvd
New Port Richey, FL
Be the first to know and let us send you an email when West Pasco Historical Society posts news and promotions. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Send a message to West Pasco Historical Society: