Middleborough Historical Museum

Middleborough Historical Museum “Going forward with the past."

Then and now -- the Glidden building, on Center Street downtown.Originally the Copeland Block, it was built between 1885...
08/30/2026

Then and now -- the Glidden building, on Center Street downtown.

Originally the Copeland Block, it was built between 1885 and 1889.

Then and now : Middleborough's forgotten Auburn Street Bridge.An old timber bridge, dating back to the 1790s, once trave...
08/30/2026

Then and now : Middleborough's forgotten Auburn Street Bridge.

An old timber bridge, dating back to the 1790s, once traversed the Taunton River between north Middleborough and Bridgewater. Every map of town shows it as far back as the 1830s. However, the almost 200-year-old span burned in the late 1970s, and was quite damaged (see pictures) only to be fixed and updated -- somewhat. However, this cool old bridge was ultimately closed and demolished after 1995. I guess they felt we already have enough bridges over the water into Bridgewater.

Today, though the bridge is gone, you can see its remains from the Bridgewater side at the Great River reserve!

Do you remember this old bridge?

Great thanks as always to Mike Maddigan for researching this fascinating topic. He wrote more in-depth about it, and you can read it at the link below.

https://nemasket.blogspot.com/2013/03/auburn-street-bridge.html?m=1

The junction of South Main Street, what is today  495 and the railroad (near McDonald's) was built between 1958 and 1960...
08/29/2026

The junction of South Main Street, what is today 495 and the railroad (near McDonald's) was built between 1958 and 1960. Work was delayed longer than expected, and local people were unhappy having to take a detour to get between Middleborough and Lakeville for nearly 2 years.

These old Peirce barns stood where the municipal parking lot is today on Jackson Street (next to the museum!) They were ...
08/29/2026

These old Peirce barns stood where the municipal parking lot is today on Jackson Street (next to the museum!) They were torn down about 1960.

08/27/2026

Enjoy this video tour of beautiful Pratt Farm on a hot summer's day! Surely one of Middleborough's scenic treasures!

THE EVOLUTION OF "THE CORNER LOT" “Many interesting bits of reminiscence could be told of this old building before the d...
08/26/2026

THE EVOLUTION OF "THE CORNER LOT"

“Many interesting bits of reminiscence could be told of this old building before the days of railroads, when everybody gathered at the “store and post-office” to learn the news and gossip from neighboring towns upon the arrival of the one mail a day.”

Long before the Bank Block (1895), there once stood a small, old wooden building at the corner of South Main and Center Street, dating back to 1814. It was built by Major Levi Peirce, and was affectionately called “the old store” by people who had always known it to be there. It was a two-story, hip-roof, wooden structure, about 35 feet square. Peirce used it as a general store with a workshop on the second floor. Levi was also appointed postmaster that same year, and the first post office at what is today Four Corners operated from his small shop facing onto Center Street. Up until then, people in town had to receive their mail either at the Green, or further west in what is today Lakeville. Now, they had another choice -- at Four Corners. This is but one way that the Peirce family caused that particular part of town to develop into what we all know as downtown.

For however long the “store and post-office” operated, it was a locus of much activity in the nascent hub of Four Corners. People would gather there to receive mail, which arrived once a day, but also to gossip and hear the news from other towns.

After the Peirce business left that location, the small wooden building was rented out by numerous businesses, such as clothiers, a restaurant, an upholstery business and a harness manufactory. However, the historic old Levi Peirce store at Four Corners went up in flames in October, 1866. At the time, the town only had a “little old red tub of a hand engine, and the only available water supply (was) a cistern upon the Jenks place on Main Street.” Alas, that historic original building and “most of its contents” were lost forever.

While the old store was never replaced, another, new building was erected here about 1867, standing “without a rival upon this prominent corner” for almost thirty years. This new 20x20 yellow building served many functions, including as an enlistment office, and also as the location of some important Middleborough town offices for years -- including those of the selectmen, clerk and treasurer. It was also a pension office, and the location of the Fourth District Court. At one time, this medium-sized building housed the district court, an express office, selectmen and assessors, town treasurer and collector, broker’s office, pension agency and cobbler shop all at once.

Furthermore, it was also the location of a sensational robbery in 1871.

This was the time when the town had some of its important offices here, including “the town safe.” Here the town (and other parties) kept a considerable amount of cash, important documents and securities. However, during the cold wee hours of Saturday, December 15, 1871, thieves managed to get inside the building as well as the safe and make off with quite a good haul.

When the intrusion was discovered, the town clerk was summoned. They had entered through the rear of the building. A hole had been drilled through one of the doors of the safe, and some powder was put inside. The door blew open, and off its hinges landing eventually about ten feet away, destroying a large hard wooden desk and a stove. The safe door had been 1/8th inch of iron. The town ultimately lost a little under $500, but Mr. Tucker, it is written, lost $12,000, and others who had held items in the safe had lost $8,000. For frame of reference, $12,000 in 1871 dollars comes out to $328,000 in 2026. It was said that the thieves did not stop for small bills.

The Gazette opines that there were three burglars involved, two of whom came on Friday night by train, yet could not be identified. They also broke into a nearby drug store that night, before getting to the town safe, finally finishing their burgling activities about 3:00am. They then proceeded to steal a horse and carriage from Mr. Everett Robinson, before making good their escape by darkness of winter night to Taunton, where they caught an early train to New York City and disappeared. The horse and carriage were recovered there, but the thieves were never apprehended, nor were the securities recovered. A number of the bonds were paid, however, “showing that the perpetrators of the burglary were experts at the craft.”

The town moved out of there, and into the commodious new town hall down the street in 1872-1873 (only to ultimately move a number of important town offices back to the same corner lot more than 120 years later!)

This lot remained mostly vacant, even with the 1864 structure there. A large and prominent billboard was put up here, and for many years it was hard to avoid seeing its advertisements for circuses and theaters. It appears that this centrally located green space also served as an informal park at the Four Corners area.

From about 1885 to 1894, there was a band stand here too. It was a medium-sized square wooden platform, with rails, and four posts, each one capped with a large kerosene lamp, and a short stair facing Center Street. In pictures, it looks something like an early wrestling ring. It is fun to imagine there being bands and shows here during summer nights in the 1890s, lit by the glow of the kerosene lamps. These summer band affairs were referenced as one thing that would be missed in 1895, when work was already underway on the new Bank Block. The need for a public park in a time when we had none and another location for the band stand were also mulled over by the author. They also opined that “no part of the town has changed so little during the last 25 years as the four corners.” But that changed in 1894-1895, as the decidedly more prominent, and massive, Bank Block rose. It served initially as the location of the Middleborough Savings Bank -- hence its name. Today it serves the town by hosting a number of important town offices.

B.C.
........................................................................................

-Weston, Thomas. History of the Town of Middleborough. Houghton, Mifflin and Company, 1906.

-”The Evolution of the Corner Lot,” The Middleborough Gazette (Middleborough), January 25, 1895, 1

-The Macris Database. “Savings Bank Building.” Accessed 26 August 2026, https://mhc-macris.net/details?mhcid=MID.380

NOW AND THEN - Corner of Webster and South Main, c. 1915-1920, and August, 2026. Here, at least, just about all the buil...
08/25/2026

NOW AND THEN - Corner of Webster and South Main, c. 1915-1920, and August, 2026. Here, at least, just about all the buildings have survived the past century! Not so for the shade tree seen on the right.

American Hall buildingStanding prominently at Four Corners,  the large American Hall building, as it is sometimes known,...
08/25/2026

American Hall building

Standing prominently at Four Corners, the large American Hall building, as it is sometimes known, has served many important purposes in town for more than 175 years.

The original building, whatever it looked like, was much smaller, and was originally built in 1837, possibly by Philander Washburn. This commercial building was later expanded substantially in 1854, adding another floor, and the spacious 3rd floor that would later be known as the American Hall. This name was even prominently painted on the front-facing exterior wall. This major work was undertaken by the collaboration of local businessmen Joseph Sampson, Jr. and Nathan King. The expansive first floor of this building would serve prominently as first-class retail space for many decades, back when physically going to brick-and-mortar locations was the most common way of getting what you needed in life. As such, its proximity to the bustling Four Corners area made it a valuable asset.

The hall was impressively large for the time, seating as many as 500 people for events hosted there. This hall served for a time as a meeting place for town meetings and dances in the years before the commodious 1873 town hall was built. However, it was used for many other different purposes as well. Many speakers and entertainers such as respected local academic professor J.W.P. Jenks were heard there over the years. Charles Stratton (General Tom Thumb) himself appeared there in 1861, and P.T. Barnum as well, who spoke to a packed crowd in February of 1865. The prestigious hall also served as the location of a Civil War “war rally” in 1863, as then later on as a skating rink, billiard parlor and even as movie theater. The billiard parlor appeared on the 2nd floor by 1885, and lasted into the 2nd decade of the 20th century. Once, there was a Chinese laundry business operating out of the basement. Years later, you would also find a barbershop, a feed and grocery business, a Radio Shack, and both the Faietti Fashion Shoppe (which closed in 1979) and the Faietti Hardware business. These twin businesses were mainstays of downtown Middleborough here from the 1941 through 1988, when the old hardware business closed.

The large 2-story storefront that projects outwards towards the sidewalk was built in 1910, and the American Hall building was renovated again in 1978. The prominent “American Hall” wording was painted over in 1957, and since then the building has been used for residential as well as commercial usage.

The smaller wedge-shaped structure that appears on the corner of South Main and Wareham Streets, a.k.a. the George Lang block, though probably better known as the location of Lindo’s Pizza, is not original to the American Hall building. In the Macris database, local historian Mertie Romaine described this structure as “a 1935 vernacular commercial building devoid of any architectural details or specific characteristics,” and as “looking like a wart on the American Building.”

As for Lindo’s Pizza, they’ve been there since the mid-1980s, before which time it was the location of Tony’s Subs.

B.C.

08/23/2026
This cool historic Middleborough calendar from 1976 has lots of great pictures from old Middleborough! How many of these...
08/22/2026

This cool historic Middleborough calendar from 1976 has lots of great pictures from old Middleborough! How many of these places can you recognize today in 2026?

(Part of the MHA collections.)

Address

18 Jackson Street
Middleboro, MA
02346

Opening Hours

1pm - 4pm

Telephone

+17813611427

Alerts

Be the first to know and let us send you an email when Middleborough Historical Museum posts news and promotions. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at any time.

Contact The Museum

Send a message to Middleborough Historical Museum:

Share