09/03/2026
Part 4: The Black Boat fleet grows
By the middle of the 1880s, the Flint & Pere Marquette Railway’s decision to operate its own Lake Michigan steamship fleet was proving successful. F&PM No. 1 and F&PM No. 2 had entered service in 1882 and were lengthened the following year to handle increasing traffic. As business grew, the railroad needed larger vessels capable of carrying more freight and significantly more passengers across Lake Michigan.
The result was F&PM No. 3, another Frank E. Kirby design ordered through Detroit Dry Dock Company. Laid down in the fall of 1886, the wooden propeller was constructed by Linn & Craig at Gibraltar, Mich., under subcontract to Detroit Dry Dock. The vessel was launched April 1, 1887. At about 187 feet long, 34.5 feet wide and 12.4 feet deep, No. 3 was substantially larger than the railroad’s first two steamers and measured about 924 gross tons.
The new vessel was also considerably more elaborate. F&PM No. 3 was licensed to carry about 200 passengers, compared with accommodations for only a small number aboard the original Nos. 1 and 2. Her passenger spaces included walnut furnishings, plush upholstery and decorative oil lamps, reflecting the fact that the Black Boats were not merely freight carriers. They also competed for passenger business on the overnight crossing between Michigan and Wisconsin.
Capt. John W. Duddleson, who had commanded F&PM No. 2 and had become an important figure in the railroad’s Ludington marine department, oversaw construction of No. 3 and became her first master. In 1888 Duddleson transferred to another new vessel, F&PM No. 4, while Capt. John W. Stewart took command of No. 3. The movement of experienced captains from one new vessel to another illustrated how rapidly the railroad’s marine operation was expanding.
F&PM No. 4 followed in 1888. Also designed by Kirby and built by Detroit Dry Dock Company at Wyandotte, she closely resembled No. 3. At about 187 feet in length and approximately 941 gross tons, she was another large wooden passenger and package-freight propeller. Both vessels were powered by compound steam engines and two Scotch boilers, giving the railroad two much larger ships for its principal cross-lake routes.
With Nos. 3 and 4 in service, the railroad reorganized its fleet. The newer vessels were generally assigned to the Ludington-Manistee-Milwaukee trade, while Nos. 1 and 2 increasingly operated between Ludington and Manitowoc, with occasional trips to Milwaukee and South Chicago. Barreled salt produced at Ludington and Manistee became an important westbound cargo. By this period, large numbers of men worked along the Ludington waterfront handling the enormous volume of freight moving between railroad cars, warehouses and the Black Boats.
The careers of Nos. 3 and 4 continued beyond the Flint & Pere Marquette era. When the Pere Marquette Railway succeeded the F&PM, the ships became Pere Marquette 3 and Pere Marquette 4. By then, however, railroad carferries were rapidly replacing break-bulk steamers. The Pere Marquette Railway added Pere Marquette 17 in 1901, Pere Marquette 18 in 1902 and Pere Marquette 19 and Pere Marquette 20 in 1903. In 1903, Nos. 2, 3 and 4 were sold to Manistee businessman Gus Kitzinger, who organized the Manistee, Ludington & Milwaukee Transportation Company, commonly known as the Pere Marquette Line Steamers.
The two former Black Boats continued operating for years afterward. On March 7, 1920, Pere Marquette 3 became caught in heavy ice off Ludington and settled by the stern. She was raised and taken to Manitowoc, where inspection revealed severe damage to her wooden hull. Declared a constructive total loss, her machinery was removed and the hull was ultimately burned. Pere Marquette 4 survived until May 15, 1923, when she collided in dense fog with the steel carferry Pere Marquette 17 about 25 miles northeast of Milwaukee. Her damaged hull later became the clubhouse of the Columbia Yacht Club in Chicago before being taken into Lake Michigan in 1937, burned and sunk.
Nos. 3 and 4 demonstrated how rapidly the F&PM’s cross-lake business had grown since the arrival of the railroad at Ludington in 1874. Larger, more comfortable and capable of carrying far more freight and passengers than the original Black Boats, they represented the mature form of the railroad’s break-bulk steamship operation. But even greater capacity was needed, and the F&PM would soon add another large Black Boat to its growing fleet.
Coming in Part 5: F&PM No. 5 and the continuing expansion of Ludington’s railroad steamship fleet.
Experience the stories of Ludington's cross-lake railroad steamers at the Port of Ludington Maritime Museum, open Tuesday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Written by Rob Alway, Mason County Historical Society director and editor-in-chief of Mason County Press.
🛳⚓