Little Falls NY Historical Society Museum

Little Falls NY Historical Society Museum The Little Falls Historical Society Museum in Little Falls NY is a non-profit museum that specialize

From the Cooney Archives: This Day in the History of Little Falls … “On September 5, 1882, our Board of Education leased...
09/04/2026

From the Cooney Archives: This Day in the History of Little Falls … “On September 5, 1882, our Board of Education leased a part of the old storehouse adjoining Timmerman’s coal yard for a schoolhouse for the south side. The end next to the canal will be occupied, and it is being fitted up and furnished with seats taken from the brick schoolhouse.”

═════════════════════════════
THE HISTORY OF EDUCATION IN LITTLE FALLS
═════════════════════════════

═════════════════════
THE OLD STONE SCHOOLHOUSE
(Est. 1796)
═════════ ※ ═════════

※ THE FIRST SCHOOL AT LITTLE FALLS

Following the Revolutionary War, as the resettlement at the Little Carrying Place grew into the emerging village of Little Falls, the need for formal education quickly became apparent. In 1796, a modest wooden schoolhouse was constructed on what is now the lot of the Old Stone Schoolhouse at 15 Church Street—then simply known as “the road to Newport,” a section of the newly built Mohawk Turnpike. Because tuition was required, only children from well to do families attended. Classes began each day with the sound of a horn blown by the first documented teacher, Elijah Case, who taught the three R’s as well as music.

Case’s influence extended beyond the classroom. He led the Little Falls Brass Band—later known as the Military Band—in their first recorded public performance on October 31, 1825. That morning, the band played atop the Aqueduct to welcome Governor DeWitt Clinton’s flotilla during the Grand Opening of the Erie Canal at Little Falls.

The early schoolhouse served many roles within the young village. During the cold months, church services were held there because the Octagon Church—then the only church in the village, which served as a shared place of worship for all denominations—was notoriously difficult to heat. Public meetings and government elections also took place within its walls. In 1811, Little Falls received its Village Charter of Incorporation at the schoolhouse, which formally establishing the Village of Little Falls out of the Township of Herkimer.

By 1814, the original wooden structure had deteriorated badly. On January 8 of that year, village leaders passed a resolution to replace it with a more substantial two story limestone building, using stone quarried locally. Built on the same Church Street lot, the new school separated students by gender—boys on the first floor, girls on the second.

The stone schoolhouse soon became a civic landmark. On May 29, 1827, Judge Nathaniel Benton was elected as the first village president within its walls, marking another foundational moment in Little Falls history.

═══════════════════════
SAMUEL STILLMAN WHITMAN AND
THE WHITMAN PRIVATE SCHOOL
(Est. 1840s)
═══════════ ※ ══════════

※ The Whitmans

Educator Samuel Stillman Whitman arrived in Little Falls in 1836, bringing decades of teaching experience. Whitman was born on December 13, 1800, on his family’s farm in Fairfield, New York. At eighteen, he began teaching school in his home hamlet, marking the start of a lifelong devotion to education. In 1827, he married Mary Ann Arnold, also of Fairfield, and in 1836 the couple moved to Little Falls, where Whitman served as a supervisor for the New York Central Railroad, helping construct the railroad line beneath the Gulf Bridge.

The Whitmans settled in a house opposite the Baptist Church at 555 Albany Street. On December 11, 1841, they purchased a lot on Monroe Street from John Ward for $220 and built their family home at 2 Monroe Street, situated at the top of North Ann Street. At that time, the Whitmans were among the pioneer settlers on Monroe Street—the only other house stood across from the Church Street Cemetery, the surrounding area consisted of farmer’s fields and untamed woods.

Samuel and Mary Ann raised eight children, each woven into Little Falls’ civic and industrial history:

• Frances Rebecca (1829)
• Eugena Augusta (1832)
• Emily Lordelia (1833)
• Rodney Steven (1835) – Partnered with D. H. Burrell in the Whitman & Burrell Company (1868–1882), later president of the Rockton Whitman Knitting Mill (1884). His home is now the Little Falls Elks Lodge #42.
• Mary Elizabeth (1838)
• Henry Arnold (1842) – Inherited the Rollway Farm.
• Walter Ward (1845) – Joined the Whitman & Burrell Company in 1880, sold his shares in 1885, and managed the Rockton Whitman Mill with Rodney. His wife, Dr. Emma Louise Randal Whitman, who was the first female doctor in Little Falls. She died in 1920 after being struck by an Overland automobile while crossing North Ann Street on her way to church.
• Harriet Adelaide (1847)

※ Whitman as Educator and School Founder

By the 1840s, Whitman had returned to teaching, operating a private school in the basement of the Baptist Church. He later moved his classes to Washington Hall. Eventually, his own home at 2 Monroe Street became the site of the Whitman School, continuing his long commitment to local education.

※ Rollway Farm and Agricultural Leadership

On November 14, 1852, Whitman purchased Fall Hill Farm from Martin Priest for $2,100. Located on the south side of the Mohawk River across from the upper dam, Whitman renamed it the Rollway Farm. There he devoted himself to writing and agricultural advocacy.

He contributed regularly to the Country Gentleman’s Magazine and other agricultural journals, and he became one of the founding members of both the Herkimer County Agricultural Society and the Farmer’s Club. For the last twenty eight years of his life, Whitman lived and worked as a farmer, blending practical experience with thoughtful commentary on rural life.

※ Final Years

In 1872, Whitman suffered paralysis and spent his remaining years at his Monroe Street home. He died there on September 27, 1877, leaving behind a legacy of education, civic leadership, agricultural advancement, and a family deeply intertwined with Little Falls history.

═════════════════════
THE LITTLE FALLS ACADEMY ERA
(Est. 1844)
═════════ ※ ══════════

※ A GROWING VILLAGE BUILDS A HIGH SCHOOL

As Little Falls grew in the early 19th century, so did the community’s commitment to education. In 1841, local citizens resolved that the village should establish a high school. Land was secured on the east side of Ward Square—today’s Eastern Park—at 770 East Main Street.

On April 11, 1842, Governor William Seward signed legislation granting control of the new school to a local board. The first officers of the Little Falls City Schools Board were Nathaniel Benton, president; Frederick Lansing, secretary; and Albert Story, treasurer.

※ THE 1844 LITTLE FALLS ACADEMY

Construction delays pushed the opening of the school to September 1844. The three story stone building cost $12,000 and became known as Little Falls Academy.

According to Cooney’s written words “Tuition in the Primary Department was $2.50; in the Academic Department, $3.50; Latin, Greek, French, Algebra, Chemistry and Natural Philosophy were $5.50. In the Primary Department were 28 males and 33 females; in the Academic Department, 158 "Young Gentlemen" and 142 "Young Ladies." Rooms were rented for two dollars a term for those residing out of town, and firewood was furnished for an additional fifty cents a winter.”

According to the Cooney Archives: This Day In the History of Little Falls ... “On October 17, 1844, the Little Falls Academy, the first large structure devoted to higher education in the village, was incorporated by the regents of the state of New York. The three-story high stone structure, containing six large and 26 small rooms, was built at a cost of $12,000 and housed 217 students. The bell was donated by Dudley Burwell. “

※ THE 1868 BENTON HALL

In 1868—just one year before Judge Benton’s death—a second building was added to the east of the Academy. Built for elementary grades, it was named Benton Hall in honor of Benton, who had been elected Little Falls’ first village president in 1827.

By 1873, Little Falls adopted a free school system, and by 1879 the Church Street School, Jefferson Street School, and Benton Hall all served elementary students. The high school continued operating in the original 1844 Academy building.

※ PROGRESS AND REFORM IN THE LATE 19th CENTURY

According to the Cooney Archives: This Day in the History of Little Falls …” On July 9, 1886, a new law gives women the right to vote at school meetings providing they reside in the school district, has a child who has attended school for eight weeks within one year preceding, the child resides with him or her permanently, and owns personal property exceeding $55.”

In 1895, the 1868 Benton Hall building was razed and replaced with a new elementary school, which retained the Benton Hall name.

According to the Cooney Archives: This Day in the History of Little Falls..."On September 22, 1896, the title of “Union School and Academy” will be changed to “Little Falls High School” by the Board of Regents who passed an ordinance changing the names of all public secondary schools to High School. A large delegation of local students will be attending college or normal schools including Williams, Yale, Columbia, Vassar, Oberlin, and Albany, Oswego, Brockport & Genesco Normal Schools."

According to the Cooney Archives: This Day in the History of Little Falls…”On June 29, 1898, the Board of Education contracted with William Dove for the er****on of a new Grade and High School on the site of the Academy and Benton Hall. While work was progressing during the winter, classes were held in Quackenbush Hall.”

The 1844 Academy building was razed that same year. Architect Archimedes Russell, who also designed Burrell’s Overlook Mansion, created the new Romanesque Revival high school facing Ward Square. Interior woodwork was rejected and rebuilt, and the building was completed in August 1900.

According to the Cooney Archives: This Day in the History of Little Falls ...“On December 8, 1899, do not forget the high school congress debate tonight at the Quackenbush Hall. The question is the Transvaal question. The proceeds are for the high school decoration fund.”

According to the Cooney Archives: This Day in the History of Little Falls ..."On December 1, 1903, Superintendent of Schools, C. H. Warfield, earlier this year had instituted a savings system among the Little Falls school children. Deposits of their pennies and nickels have become surprisingly large, and as of this date a total of $1,652 is in the Rochester Savings Bank.”

※ THE 1929–1931 EAST MAIN STREET ADDITION

On May 2, 1929, the Walsh Brothers Construction Company began building a major addition facing East Main Street. Completed in 1931 at a cost of $290,000, it included an auditorium, classrooms, and a gymnasium—soon the home court for all basketball games.

In 1967, the gym was named the Wilbur Crisp Gym in honor of legendary coach Wilbur Crisp, who served Little Falls High School from 1926 to 1958. Crisp had been a standout college player at Cortland and Syracuse University, captaining Syracuse’s undefeated 1913 team. He invented several sports aids, including an adjustable basketball backboard and an early electric wall mounted game timer. Crisp was inducted into the Utica Sports Hall of Fame (1992) and the National High School Sports Hall of Fame (2001). He passed away in 1969.

Several historical newspaper excerpts in the Cooney Archives offer further insight into Crisp’s achievements and additional milestones of the school system. A selection of these is as follows:

According to the Cooney Archives: This Day in the History of Little Falls ... “On March 28, 1930, a large contingent of 3,500 fans from Little Falls, traveled to Syracuse to see the Wilber Crisp coached high school team defeat Cohoes 25 to 9 to win the New York State basketball championship. Splendid teamwork on the part of the purple & white, and the scoring of Beck and Kane were too much for Cohoes. Crisp and Mucica heard over the radio after the game.”

According to the Cooney Archives: This Day in the History of Little Falls ..."On February 23, 1933, the home talent, three act farce “Henry’s Wedding,” sponsored by the Junior Welfare League, pleased a large audience at the High school auditorium. In all there were 125 prominent local people in the show including Wilbur Crisp as “O’Flaherty, Chief of Detectives.” The production also tickled a gathering of school kiddies at a matinee yesterday afternoon.”

According to the Cooney Archives: This Day in the History of Little Falls ... “On February 27, 1953, the first boy’s homemaking class at Little Falls High School was in full swing. Students included Thursty” McKusick, Fred Urich, Tito DiTata, and Ted Van Slyke. Laura Ehman was the teacher.”

According to the Cooney Archives: This Day in the History of Little Falls … “On May 29, 1953, by a 1,284 to 421 tally, Little Falls area voters approved school centralization. The new district included city districts and 15 districts from surrounding towns. A seven-member school board was created.”

According to the Cooney Archives: This Day in the History of Little Falls … “On June 30, 1963, Superintendent of Schools, Joseph S. Horton, retired after over 30 years of service as a chief school administrator and eleven years in the local school system.”

※ RENOVATION AND REBIRTH: BENTON HALL ACADEMY

The three historic buildings—1895, 1898, and 1929—survived into the late 20th century but required major modernization. In 1994, community discussions led to a three phase renovation plan. At a cost of $12.3 million, all three buildings were gutted and fully reconstructed. The rehabilitation of the 1895 and 1929 buildings was completed in 1996, and the work on the 1898 building was finished the following year, in 1997.

The result was a fully renewed school, known today as Benton Hall Academy.

※ STEAM EXPANSION, 2021

On October 12, 2021, Benton Hall Academy students began taking Education by Design (EbD) classes in a newly constructed STEAM Lab addition on the Petrie Street side of the school. The program was initiated and is led by Tracy Scarano Young, a teacher in the Little Falls City School District.

══════════════════
JEFFERSON STREET SCHOOL
(Est. 1846)
════════ ※ ════════

※ A NEIGHBORHOOD SCHOOL THAT ENDURED

The Jefferson Street School began as a modest wood frame building constructed in 1846 at 549 East Jefferson Street. Its early decades were marked by both growth and disruption. In 1882, blasting by the West Shore Railroad—cutting through stone to lay new tracks—damaged the original wooden structure. That same year, the school was rebuilt in brick and expanded with additional stories, giving it a more substantial and fire resistant presence in the neighborhood.

Despite the improvements, the school faced two major fires, in 1908 and again in 1917. After each blaze, the building was repaired, enlarged, and strengthened, reflecting the community’s determination to maintain a thriving elementary school on Jefferson Street.

According to the Cooney Archives: This Day in the History of Little Falls … “On July 7, 1882, two cannon balls, one 20 # and the other 10 #, were found on West Shore Road near the brick school (Jefferson Street School.) Others had been found in the area by construction workers, and they were thought to date back to the Revolutionary War.”

According to the Cooney Archives: This Day in the History of Little Falls… “On March 16, 1903, a damaging blaze in the Jefferson Street school early this morning, originating in the furnace room, left two rooms badly scorched. Fortunately, none of the students had reported for the morning session. Insurance covered all of the costs except on students’ books.”

Through fires, reconstruction, and the rapid industrial changes of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the Jefferson Street School remained a steady educational anchor for generations of Little Falls children.

═════════════
Church Street School
(Est. 1848)
══════ ※ ═════

※ From Octagon Church to City Park

The story of the Church Street School begins with the Octagon Church, once located at the intersection of Church and Prospect Streets. When the Octagon Church was razed in 1842, its former lot—31 Church Street—was transferred to the school board in 1847 by John Ward. The following year, in 1848, a new brick schoolhouse was constructed on the site for $3,900, with William Chase serving as carpenter and Robert Stewart as brick mason, being the same skilled craftsman that built the Old Stone Bank Museum.

The new schoolhouse became the first Church Street School.

As Little Falls grew, so did the need for a more substantial building. In 1888, contractor C. D. West received the commission to construct a new stone schoolhouse for $22,000. The area where the Octagon Church once stood was transformed into a small city park, preserving the memory of the village’s earliest religious landmark.

According to the Cooney Archives: This Day in the History of Little Falls … “On April 19, 1889, the old Church Street School has been cleared of its furniture etc. and contractors will start the work of pulling down the old structure. The bricks for the new building are on the ground.”

According to the Cooney Archives: This Day in the History of Little Falls ... “On September 23, 1889, the new schoolhouse on Church Street was put into use today. For the past few days the building has received scores of visitors every day, many of whom were little girls who expect to attend school in the new structure."

According to the Cooney Archives: This Day in the History of Little Falls … “On July 29, 1913, stones, undoubtedly the walls of the 1796 Octagon Church, were unearthed by workmen employed on a drainage and heating system project for the Church Street School.”

The site continued to reveal its layered past. During drainage and heating system work in 1913, laborers uncovered stones believed to be remnants of the 1796 Octagon Church, linking the modern school grounds back to one of Little Falls’ earliest community institutions.

Through reconstruction, expansion, and the passage of generations, the Church Street School remained a central educational and civic landmark—its foundations literally built atop the earliest chapters of Little Falls history.

══════════════
ST. MARY’S ACADEMY
(Est. 1850)
══════ ※══════

※ A CATHOLIC INSTITUTION EXPANDS

A parochial education in Little Falls began in 1850, when St. Mary’s Church established its first school on John Street. The small building contained two rooms and was staffed by two lay teachers, serving the growing Catholic community.

By 1880, a more substantial two story stone school had been constructed—the eastern half of the present day structure. Built of locally quarried limestone by Thomas Kearny, with interior work completed by Charles Eagan, the new building opened under the direction of the Capuchan Sisters of the Infant of Jesus of St. Joseph’s. Upon the school’s completion, the Sisters moved from their residence on Hancock Street into the newly established St. Mary’s Convent.

According to the Cooney Archives: This Day in the History of Little Falls ... “On September 10, 1886, the parochial school connected with St. Mary’s church opened with nearly 300 pupils, with their instructions being furnished by four lay teachers. The average for each teacher is too large for the best results, but no more than for Union schools. The large number of students is due in part to child labor laws in our mills.”

※ BECOMING ST. MARY’S ACCADEMY

In 1898, the school was officially renamed St. Mary’s Academy and received a Charter from the New York Board of Regents. Enrollment was impressive: 475 elementary students and 140 high school students. The faculty included nine elementary teachers—eight Catholic Nuns and one lay teacher—and seven Nuns teaching in the high school. The church also employed music and physical education instructors, reflecting a broad curriculum.

※ EXPANSION OF 1911

St. Mary’s Academy underwent a major alteration in 1911, doubling in size. A third floor was added to serve as a Parish School Hall, expanding space for assemblies, performances, and community events.

According to the Cooney Archives: This Day in the History of Little Falls ... “On December 27, 1911, St. Mary’s new School Hall opened with a dance and a party.”

※ MID-CENTURY CHANGES

By the late 20th century, shifting enrollment and educational needs brought significant change.

According to the Cooney Archives: This Day in the History of Little Falls ... “On May 23, 1970, in a letter read at Sunday Masses at St. Mary’s Church, it was made known that the high school department of St. Mary’s Academy will be closed at the end of the current school year.”

Despite the closure of the high school, the parish continued to invest in its educational facilities.

According to the Cooney Archives: This Day in the history of Little Falls ... “On September 24, 1972, approximately 400 of St. Mary’s parishioners and friends assembled for the dedication of the new multi-purpose auditorium-gymnasium that had been erected at the rear of St. Mary’s Academy. Most Rev. Edwin B. Broderick, bishop of Albany was present to bless the building. Rev. Joseph F. Barker was present as pastor. John B. McGuire was toastmaster."

═════════════════
MONROE STREET SCHOOL
(Est. 1921)
═══════ ※ ═══════

※ A MODERN ELEMENTARY

In 1921, the Little Falls City School District acquired the Maher property at 156 West Monroe Street and constructed a new elementary school on the site at a cost of $215,000. This modern facility became known as Monroe Street School and represented a major step forward for the district: it was the first city school to include its own gymnasium. Until then, all physical education classes for Little Falls students had taken place at the YMCA at 15 Jackson Street.

According to the Cooney Archives: This Day in the History of Little Falls … “On December 3, 1920, before a large gathering, the cornerstone laying exercises were held at the West Monroe Street school building with Mayor Gilbert as principal speaker. School pupils sang several patriotic selections. The building opened in 1921.”

With its dedicated gymnasium, modern classrooms, and prominent location on Monroe Street, the school quickly became an important educational anchor for families on the west side of Little Falls. Its construction marked a new era of investment in elementary education and student recreation within the city.

═══════════════════════
Little Falls Junior–Senior High School
(Est. 1970)
══════════ ※ ══════════

According to the Cooney Archives: This Day in the History of Little Falls … “On July 11, 1968, eleven months after voters approved the project, Rupert Palmer, President of the Board of Education, signed a $2,395,457 contract for the construction of a new Little Falls Junior–Senior High School at the Top Notch Road site. Work was scheduled to begin immediately, marking one of the most significant school building initiatives in the city’s history.”

The new high school—located at 1 High School Road—opened for classes in September 1970. Architect Warren H. Ashley of West Hartford, Connecticut, designed the building with a modern open room concept, giving the school a contemporary, campus like feel that reflected evolving educational philosophies of the late 1960s.

The structure encompassed 126,000 square feet and cost $3,000,000 to complete. Its auditorium, designed for large group instruction, seated 1,000 students, making it one of the most versatile educational spaces in the region. The building’s innovative design earned a National Architecture Award in 1970, recognizing Little Falls’ commitment to forward thinking educational environments.

With its modern layout, expansive facilities, and award winning architecture, the Little Falls Junior–Senior High School became a defining landmark of the city’s educational landscape—ushering in a new era for generations of students.

*Digitizing of Historical Photo by Gail & Mike Potter, FROM THE COONEY ARCHIVES: THIS DAY IN HISTORY by Louis Baum, JR, Article written by Darlene Smith, assisted by Grammarly.

👉🏻For those who wish to become a member of the Little Falls Historical Society, please go to: https://littlefallshistoricalsociety.org/become-a-member/

🏦The Little Falls Historical Society’s Old Bank Museum is open for FREE TOURS for the summer season on Mondays and Wednesdays from 1 to 4 PM, and Saturdays from 9:00 AM until noon. It will also be open every other Friday from 1 to 4 PM, beginning May 29th. If you would like to schedule a tour for off hours, please contact either Louis Baum @ 315-867-3527, Mary Ann Terzi @ 315-823-1502, or Jeffrey Gressler @ 315-823-2799 to schedule an appointment.

Save the Date ‼️Mohawk Valley Gives has announced September 18th as Community -Wide Giving Day ‼️For the first time, the...
09/02/2026

Save the Date ‼️Mohawk Valley Gives has announced September 18th as Community -Wide Giving Day ‼️

For the first time, the Little Falls Historical Society has applied for and been accepted as a recipient of 2026 Mohawk Valley Gives donations.

Please consider making a donation to our 501 c-3 not-for-profit community organization. Thank you for considering this request.

NOTE: SAVE THE DATE: Donations will not be accepted UNTIL Sept. 18 via MVG website.

Our description on Mohawk Valley Gives campaign webpage:
https://www.givemv.org/.../little-falls-historical-society

Little Falls Historical Society webpage: https://littlefallshistoricalsociety.org/

Mohawk Valley Gives webpage:
https://www.givemv.org/

💗If you have any questions, please call Jeffrey Gressler at (315) 823-2799.

ECHOES OF LEGACYBy Elizabeth Spraker─────⚜ ─────❦ HORACE BURCH – FORD TRASK HOME48 North Ann Street, Little Falls, New Y...
09/01/2026

ECHOES OF LEGACY
By Elizabeth Spraker
─────⚜ ─────
❦ HORACE BURCH – FORD TRASK HOME
48 North Ann Street, Little Falls, New York
Federal–Greek Revival Home of Commerce, Preservation, and Community Service

ARCHITECTURAL OVERVIEW
──────── ⚜ ───────
Imagine walking along North Ann Street during the first half of the nineteenth century, when Little Falls was growing beyond its earlier canal settlement and substantial brick residences were beginning to appear along the village streets. The Horace Burch–Ford Trask Home would have stood out immediately—not because of elaborate decoration, but because of its broad proportions, balanced façade, and strong classical presence.

At its core, the house reflects the calm symmetry associated with Federal architecture. The entrance sits at the center of the façade, while tall windows are arranged in an orderly pattern across both stories. Their careful placement gives the brick exterior a steady rhythm and a sense of quiet dignity.

The most commanding feature is the two-story portico stretching across the front of the house. Tall, slender columns rise from the ground to support the broad horizontal entablature above. This feature introduces the stronger classical character of the Greek Revival style, which became increasingly popular during the nineteenth century as Americans looked to the architecture of ancient Greece for inspiration.

Even with the addition of the portico, the earlier Federal character remains easy to see. The original symmetry of the façade is still visible behind the columns, allowing the two architectural traditions to work together rather than compete. The result is a house that reflects change over time—Federal in its underlying form, but given a more monumental appearance through later Greek Revival influence.

The central doorway brings a lighter, more delicate touch to the façade. A semicircular fanlight rises above the entrance, while narrow sidelights frame the door and allow daylight into the interior hall. These graceful details soften the stronger vertical lines of the columns and preserve the refinement associated with the Federal style.

Above the second story, a raised attic level is marked by a row of small arched windows. Their repeated shape creates a distinctive pattern beneath the roofline and gives the upper portion of the house an architectural character all its own. Though modest in size, these windows add visual interest and help draw the eye upward across the façade.

The red brick walls provide warmth beneath the white columns, trim, and shutters. That contrast makes the structure of the house especially easy to read: the strong vertical columns, evenly spaced windows, central doorway, and attic openings all work together within one carefully balanced composition.

Standing before the house today, we can still see the story of its architectural evolution. Its Federal symmetry remains the foundation, while the later Greek Revival portico gives the residence greater scale and presence. Rather than hiding those changes, the house allows us to see how one historic home adapted with changing tastes while preserving the character of its earlier design.



LIFE WITHIN THESE WALLS (1834–Present)
──────────── ⚜ ───────────
Commerce, Preservation, Care, and Public Service

For nearly two centuries, this North Ann Street home has reflected more than changing architectural tastes. It has also reflected the lives of the people who passed through its doors and the different ways they became part of the story of Little Falls.

Its earliest chapter is tied to Horace Manley Burch, a merchant whose career grew alongside the expanding commerce of the nineteenth-century village. Generations later, Ford Trask became part of the home’s history, helping preserve its character during a very different era. Still later, Catherine Van Allen gave the house yet another purpose, transforming it into a place

of care for elderly residents. In more recent decades, the Rose family connected the residence to another enduring Little Falls tradition—law, civic responsibility, and public service.

Their lives were separated by time and circumstance, yet each left a distinct imprint here. Commerce, preservation, compassionate care, family life, and public service all became part of the story held within these walls.

That story begins with Horace Manley Burch.



HORACE MANLEY BURCH (1811–1895)
─────────── ⚜ ───────────
Merchant, Real Estate Investor, and Community Builder

Horace Manley Burch came to Little Falls in 1834, when the village was entering an important period of growth. The Erie Canal had brought new movement, trade, and opportunity to the Mohawk Valley, and Little Falls was becoming a place where an ambitious young man could build both a business and a future.

Born in the Town of Schuyler on September 30, 1811, Burch arrived in Little Falls in his early twenties. Together with his brother Thomas, he established Burch & Company, a dry goods business that served the

needs of a growing community. Its shelves would have carried the practical goods families depended upon—fabrics, clothing, household items, and other everyday necessities.

A nineteenth-century merchant was often woven deeply into community life. Business was personal. Customers were neighbors, credit was built on trust, and the local store was a familiar place where purchases were made, news was exchanged, and relationships were formed.

As Burch prospered, his interests expanded into real estate. Little Falls was spreading beyond its earlier settlement, and the demand for homes, businesses, and developable property continued to grow. His investments connected him not only to the commercial life of the village, but also to its physical expansion.

The 1850 United States Census gives us a glimpse into Burch’s family life. It records Horace M. Burch as a merchant living in Little Falls with his wife, Frances, their children, and other members of the household. Rather than seeing him only through business records, the census allows us to picture the family behind the public figure—a household shaped by the ordinary routines and relationships of nineteenth-century life.

Burch’s involvement in Little Falls extended beyond his own business interests. As the community grew through the middle decades of the century, men in his position often found themselves participating in the civic life around them as well as in commerce. His career unfolded during years when Little Falls was changing from a canal village into a more established center of trade and industry.

The world Horace Burch knew would have been filled with movement: canal boats passing through the valley, merchants opening their doors each morning, wagons traveling the streets, and new buildings appearing as the village expanded. His own life became part of that transformation.

Through commerce, property investment, family life, and community involvement, Horace Manley Burch belonged to the generation that helped give nineteenth-century Little Falls deeper and more permanent roots.


FORD TRASK (1909–1987)
─────── ⚜ ───────
Businessman, Civic Leader, and Steward of the Home

By the time Ford W. Trask became associated with the North Ann Street residence, Little Falls had entered a very different chapter. The canal village known to Horace Burch had grown into a modern city shaped by industry, automobiles, established neighborhoods, and a busy downtown. Yet the values of enterprise, civic pride, and community involvement remained familiar.

Born in Little Falls in 1909, Ford came from a family already connected to the city’s commercial and industrial life. His grandfather, Ira Ford Trask, had been associated with axe manufacturing at the Cheney Hammer Mill on West Mill Street, linking the family to an earlier generation of local industry.

Ford carried that connection into the twentieth century. He became an owner and officer of the Little Falls Wholesale Company on South Second Street, serving businesses throughout the region. The Trask name was also familiar through the family’s cigar store in the former Skinner Building on East Main Street, a downtown place where business and conversation naturally came together.

His ties to community life began early. As a young man, Ford served as manager of the 1929–1930 Little Falls High School basketball team, remembered for its New York State championship season. That achievement became one of the proud athletic moments in the city’s history and reflected the close connection between school life and community identity.

Ford remained active in local organizations throughout adulthood. He devoted many years to the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, serving three terms as Exalted Ruler and later as a state vice president. He was also active in the Masonic fraternity, joining other local businessmen and civic leaders in organizations centered on fellowship and service.

In January 1945, Ford Trask became the owner of the historic home at 48 North Ann Street. His years there marked an important chapter in the building’s preservation. Local historical accounts associate Trask with restoration work that revealed evidence of an earlier stepped roofline within the masonry, a reminder that the house had already undergone changes long before he became its caretaker.

Rather than erasing those traces of the past, Trask helped preserve the character that had accumulated over generations. The residence remained a family home, but it was also treated as something worth protecting—an architectural survivor whose earlier history could still be read in its walls.

Ford Trask’s connection to the house therefore reaches beyond ownership alone. Through his business life, civic involvement, and stewardship of the property, he became part of the long bridge between the home’s nineteenth-century beginnings and its modern survival.

Under his care, the house continued to live, change, and endure.



CATHERINE VAN ALLEN (1916–2009)
─────────── ⚜ ─────────
A Home Reimagined Through Compassion

When Catherine K. Van Allen became connected to the North Ann Street home, its story took another turn. The house that had once reflected commerce, family life, and preservation was given a new purpose—one centered on care.

A registered nurse, Catherine began caring for elderly residents in 1948, when she opened a small nursing home in her own residence at 617 Albany Street. There, she cared for five people in a setting that was personal and familiar, combining professional nursing with the comforts of home.

As the need for elder care increased, Catherine expanded later that same year into the former Titus Sheard Mansion at 29 Jackson Street. The larger residence allowed her to welcome more people while continuing the close, attentive style of care that had shaped her earliest work.

In 1965, Catherine acquired the Horace Burch–Ford Trask Home and transformed it into St. Joseph’s Home for the Aged. Once again, the rooms of the old house adapted to a new generation. Bedrooms, parlors, and gathering spaces became part of the daily lives of elderly residents who now called the house home.

Here, care was not limited to medical needs alone. Meals were shared, conversations filled the rooms, and familiar routines helped create a sense of comfort and belonging. Catherine understood that growing older did not lessen a person’s need for dignity, companionship, and the feeling of being at home.

As the organization continued to grow, the Van Allen family later developed a larger and more modern nursing facility on upper East Monroe Street. Catherine’s son, William “Bill” Van Allen, and his wife, Theresa, became longtime proprietors of Van Allen and Alpine, continuing the family’s involvement in elder care in Little Falls.

The North Ann Street chapter eventually came to an end as services moved elsewhere, but Catherine Van Allen had added something lasting to the history of the house. She had shown that an old home could serve a new purpose without losing the warmth that had always made it a place of human connection.

Through her care, the residence became part of the larger story of elder care in Little Falls—and another generation found life within these walls.



EDWARD J. ROSE (1939–2025)
───────── ⚜ ───────
Attorney, City Court Judge, and a Life of Public Service

A later chapter in the history of the Horace Burch–Ford Trask Home connects the residence to Edward J. and Gail Rose, whose family became closely associated with the legal and civic life of Little Falls.

Born in Syracuse in 1939, Edward Rose attended Nottingham High School, Le Moyne College, and Syracuse University School of Law. After completing law school, he and Gail moved to Little Falls, where Edward began working with respected trial attorney George Fiesinger. What followed was a legal career lasting more than sixty years.

In 1970, Rose was appointed Little Falls City Court Judge. With the exception of a period away from the bench while his children were in high school, he continued serving as judge until 2006. In 1980, he established the Rose Law Office, where he and Gail worked side by side for more than forty years. Their son Mark later joined them, extending the family’s connection to the legal profession into another generation.

Judge Rose’s long service became closely identified with Little Falls. In 2004, the new Little Falls City Court facility was dedicated and named in his honor, recognizing decades spent serving the community from the bench.

His family’s connection to public service soon added another chapter.

In 2007, Edward Rose had the privilege of administering the oath of office to his son, Mark R. Rose, when Mark became Little Falls City Court Judge. Fifteen years later, father and son stood together once again—this time as Edward swore Mark in as a Justice of the New York State Supreme Court.

Edward J. Rose died on October 28, 2025, at the age of eighty-six. By then, his name had become woven into the civic history of the community he and Gail had made their home for more than six decades.



MARK R. ROSE
──── ⚜ ───
Continuing a Family Tradition of Law and Judicial Service

Mark R. Rose followed his father into both the legal profession and public service, carrying the Rose family’s connection to the courts into another generation.

After joining the Rose Law Office, Mark built his own legal career while remaining closely connected to Little Falls and the surrounding region. His work included service to municipalities, schools, families, and individuals throughout the area, continuing a tradition of law and community involvement that had long been associated with his father.

In 2007, Mark became Little Falls City Court Judge. The occasion held particular meaning for the Rose family: his father, Judge Edward J. Rose, who had served the city from the bench for many years, administered his oath of office.

Mark’s judicial career entered a new chapter in 2022, when he was elected a Justice of the New York State Supreme Court in the Fifth Judicial District. The district encompasses Herkimer, Jefferson, Lewis, Oneida, Onondaga, and Oswego counties, extending his judicial responsibilities far beyond Little Falls while keeping his professional roots firmly connected to the Mohawk Valley.

Once again, a significant family moment accompanied the transition. When Mark took the oath as a Supreme Court Justice, his father administered it—fifteen years after having sworn him in as Little Falls City Court Judge.

Today, the New York State Unified Court System lists Hon. Mark Rose as a Supreme Court Justice serving from the Herkimer County Office & Court Facility. His career represents a remarkable continuation of the Rose family’s long association with law and public service in Little Falls and Herkimer County.

Through Edward and Mark Rose, the later history of the Horace Burch–Ford Trask Home became connected to another important chapter in the civic life of Little Falls—one shaped by family, law, continuity, and generations of public service.



LEGACY
─ ⚜ ─
The Horace Burch–Ford Trask Home has carried many lives within its walls.

Horace Burch’s years connect the house to the commercial growth of nineteenth-century Little Falls. Ford Trask helped carry it into a new era while preserving the character that generations before him had left behind. Catherine Van Allen then gave the home another purpose, opening its doors to elderly residents in need of care, comfort, and companionship. In later years, Edward, Gail, and Mark Rose added another chapter, linking the residence to generations of legal and judicial service in the community.

Each chapter was different, yet all became part of the same continuing story—commerce, stewardship, care, family, and public service unfolding beneath one roof.

The house endured because it was never frozen in time. It changed as Little Falls changed, adapting to new families, new needs, and new generations while still holding on to the character that made it distinctive.

Standing along North Ann Street today, it remains a reminder that preservation is not only about saving walls and windows. It is also about remembering the lives that gave a building meaning.

And here, those lives left a lasting legacy.



SOURCES:
• Little Falls Historic District, National Register of Historic Places Registration Form.
• Benton, Nathaniel Soley. A History of Herkimer County, Including the Upper Mohawk Valley. 1856.
• Hardin, George A., ed. History of Herkimer County, New York. 1893.
• Little Falls Historical Society Museum and Cooney Archives.
• Herkimer County deed, census, map, property, and city-directory records.
• Louis Baum, Little Falls Historical Society Museum editing team, correspondence regarding William “Bill” Van Allen and Theresa Van Allen, 2026.
• “Edward J. Rose January 1, 1939—October 28, 2025.” My Little Falls.
• Warner, Dave. “Rose Sworn in as State Supreme Court Justice.” My Little Falls, 2022.
• Warner, Dave. “Rose Wins State Supreme Court Race.” My Little Falls, 2022.
• New York State Unified Court System. “Herkimer Supreme & County Courts,” Fifth Judicial District.
• Architectural observation and photography by Elizabeth Spraker.

❦ Elizabeth Spraker is a member of the Little Falls Historical Society.

📷FIGURE 2.14
Horace Burch–Ford Trask Home.
Photograph © Elizabeth Spraker.
────────── ⚜ ──────────

Address

Little Falls, NY
13365

Alerts

Be the first to know and let us send you an email when Little Falls NY Historical Society Museum posts news and promotions. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at any time.

Contact The Museum

Send a message to Little Falls NY Historical Society Museum:

Shortcuts

Share