The Lemon Grove Historical Society is Lemon Grove’s leading cultural institution. Founded in 1978, the Society is a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation. ~ Preserve Lemon Grove History ~ Attend an event ~ Visit our museum ~ Donate to the cause ~ Join us!
The Lemon Grove Historical Society (LGHS) is Lemon Grove’s leading cultural institution. Founded in 1978, the Society is a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation. Membership is open to individuals, families, businesses and organizations.
LGHS has an important track record in historic preservation, in promoting and displaying the work of regional artists, and in providing insight into huge world events and their impact on the home town.
LGHS saved the City’s first church, the 1897 First Congregational Church of Christ (also known as the “Atherton Chapel”) and oversaw its adaptive reuse as the Parsonage Museum of Lemon Grove. This Folk Victorian charmer offers two floors of beautiful exhibits related to the history of the community. LGHS received a 2001 Governor’s Historic Preservation Award for the rehabilitation of the building. The Society further saved the 1928 H. Lee House, a handsome Tudor Revival mansion, and oversaw its adaptive reuse as the City’s cultural center. It is a popular site for social rentals.
Located in Civic Center Park, in the heart of Lemon Grove, the Parsonage Museum and the H. Lee House Cultural Center are owned by the City of Lemon Grove and operated by the Lemon Grove Historical Society.