08/15/2026
After their victory at Fort Franklin on August 12th, 1856, Free State forces regrouped with the newly arrived reinforcements from Jim Lane's "Army of the North", and prepared to make an attack on the largest of the proslavery strongholds in Douglas County, Fort Saunders.
Fort Saunders was a fortified two story blockhouse in the settlement known as Treadwell, surrounded by earthworks and a large encampment of proslavery troops. It was named after proslavery settler and Captain in the Territorial Militia, James Saunders, who owned the claim where the fort stood. Colonel B.F. Treadwell commanded the post, which was manned by about 100 proslavery militiamen at the time.
In the afternoon of August 15th, 1856, several hundred antislavery troops under the overall command of James H. Lane set off for Treadwell. They approached the fort from three different directions in hopes of capturing its defenders like they had at Franklin. Upon seeing the much larger advancing enemy exchange gunfire with his pickets, Col. Treadwell ordered the immediate evacuation of the post and its contents, and led his men to the safety of the Territorial Capital in Lecompton. Lane's men rushed the earthworks, only to find it empty, aside from one enslaved African American boy, who was left by the retreating enemy.
Unable to locate the whereabouts of Treadwell's force, the free state men then loaded up their wagons with the newly captured tents, muskets, ammunition, food, and reclaimed loot found to be originally stolen during the Sacking of Lawrence, and burned the fort to the ground.
This image shows Fort Saunders and the proslavery encampment before the battle. The original daguerreotype it was copied from was taken sometime in 1856. https://www.kansasmemory.gov/item/90299