Here's the second holiday recipe from Ellen Hixon's 1904 cookbook: Brod Torte.
13 eggs separated
1 ½ cups sugar
1 lemon (juice and grated rind)
1 ¼ cups dry unseeded rye bread crumbs
½ cup candied fruit (citron or fruit cake mix)
¼ chopped almonds or walnuts
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon nutmeg
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1. Soak rye bread crumbs in the brandy
2. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
3. In a large bowl, beat together egg yolks, sugar, and lemon juice.
4. Mix in the dry ingredients and then the bread crumbs, grated lemon rind, candied fruit, and nuts.
5. In another large bowl, beat the egg whites until very stiff.
6. Carefully fold the beaten egg whites into the batter.
7. Pour batter into three greased 5x9 inch loaf pans.
8. Bake for approximately 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Tag us if you make it! Stay tuned for a few more holiday recipes from Mrs. Hixon!