06/28/2026
Built From Mud, Timber, and Time
Part 16: The Watson House, the Fourth Courthouse, and the Architecture of Hubris
By the end of World War I, Ashley County’s architecture had reached its most confident and monumental stage.
The county had moved far from the log cabin, the muddy road, and the rough courthouse in a clearing. Hamburg now had brick churches, elegant homes, professional architects, and a civic tradition that had grown for more than seventy years.
Two buildings from this period tell the story especially well: the Watson House of 1918 and the fourth Ashley County Courthouse of 1924.
One survived.
The other failed.
The Watson House, located at 300 North Cherry Street in Hamburg, was built in 1918 for David Watson, a successful local hardware merchant. Designed by architect W.C. Bunn, the house is one of Ashley County’s most impressive examples of Classical Revival architecture.
Its design was meant to project order, wealth, and permanence. The two-story brick residence is dominated by a monumental front veranda supported by massive Ionic columns. These columns rise the full height of the facade, creating a sense of classical authority and social confidence. The house also includes an unusual engineering detail: the second-floor veranda is supported by cables suspended from the roof structure above.
That combination of classical appearance and structural ingenuity makes the Watson House especially important.
It was not just a large home. It was a statement that Hamburg’s merchant class had reached a level of prosperity that could support formal architectural design, brick construction, and carefully composed public presence.
Today, the Watson House serves as the Ashley County Museum, which gives the building another layer of meaning. A private house built to express family wealth and civic standing now preserves the broader memory of the county itself.
The fourth Ashley County Courthouse tells a different story.
After the 1905 courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1921, Ashley County needed a new center of government. In 1923, the county hired Charles L. Thompson, the same prominent Arkansas architect associated with the Pugh House in Portland, to design the replacement. The building was constructed by T.R. Betea at a cost of $120,000 and completed in 1924.
The new courthouse was intended to last.
It was a large, dignified brick civic structure built on the historic town square. It represented continuity after disaster, a public answer to the loss of the Frank W. Gibb courthouse. It was meant to show that county government remained strong, orderly, and permanent.
But architecture does not stand on ambition alone.
It stands on ground.
The fourth courthouse became one of Ashley County’s clearest examples of what happens when monumental building meets difficult geology. The structure sat atop the shifting, water-retaining clays associated with the region’s deep geological history. Those soils expanded, contracted, held moisture, and moved beneath the weight of heavy masonry.
Over time, the building began to fail.
By the 1960s, the courthouse suffered from serious foundation and wall cracking, along with chronic roof problems. Reports from the period described cracks extending from the foundation upward through the side walls. The building was eventually condemned and demolished.
Its replacement, the fifth Ashley County Courthouse, was built off the historic square.
That move was significant. For more than a century, the courthouse square had represented the center of county authority. Moving the courthouse away from the square marked not only a change in location, but a break in the architectural pattern of Hamburg’s civic life.
The Watson House and the fourth courthouse therefore form a powerful pair.
The Watson House shows how classical architecture could endure when design, scale, materials, and maintenance aligned well enough with the site. The fourth courthouse shows how even professional design and public money could be defeated by the ground beneath it.
Together, they bring the full Ashley County architectural story back to its central theme: the built environment here has always been a negotiation with the land.
The first settlers built with logs because timber was available.
They built corduroy roads because mud was unavoidable.
They built river landings because water was the highway.
They built raised porches and pier foundations because damp ground demanded adaptation.
And when they built too heavily on unstable clay, the clay answered.
That is why the story of Ashley County architecture cannot be told only as a story of style. It is also a story of geology, hydrology, labor, materials, and limits.
The Watson House still stands.
The fourth courthouse does not.
Between them is the lesson of a county built from mud, timber, brick, ambition, and time.