Ad for new Garden City Office of
Household Finance Corporation.
To provide a museum in Garden City which will preserve the history of the community and serve as an educational center.
Ad for new Garden City Office of
Household Finance Corporation.
Mayor Jim Plakas, former Garden City Mayors
Sam Pappas and James Tierney
Hall Brothers Paint
30762 Ford Rd.
Aerial view of Garden City Hall
and the planing of Garden City Town Center
Garden City A&W Drive In
32227 Ford Rd
1969 West Sr High Yearbook
Flag Presentation with Boy Scout Troop 283
An American Flag once flown over the
White House is presented by Congressman William D. Ford to City officials.
Garden City's 6th Annual Fireworks in the park
20,000 People are expected
Cost $900.00 in 2019 $7823.00
Happy 4th of July
Garden City Fruits
Max Brown owner
City Councilman 1960-64
29478 Ford Rd.
Construction starting on the new Kresge's Department Store.
Soon to become the First K-mart.
Ford and Middlebelt
On this date in Garden City History
Dr Hymen Vogel Obituary
On December 10, 1931, Dr. Hymen Vogel and his wife, Eva, both residents of Detroit, moved to Garden City and occupied a house on Ford Road which previously had been rented by Hector McFarlane, and which years later was occupied by the Ellerhorst family. The land of this house is now taken in by part of North Brothers' Ford agency. Hymen Vogel was born in New York city a few days after his parents had come over from Europe. They then moved to Superior, Wisconsin and came to Detroit when Vogel was ten years old, in 1911. After attending Detroit schools, Vogel graduated cm laude from the University of Michigan in 1926. Dr. Vogel practised mainly in Detroit, at first, having an office at Michigan and Livernois, but accepting calls at his house. The SquareDeal Club was originally a political group whose primary aim was to give support to rank and file homeowners. The first meetings were conducted in the basement of Dr. Vogel's residence, starting in 1932, when the group was yet an informal association. Official organization followed in 1934.
On this date in Garden City History
Ground Breaking for Garden Towers
Straight Farmhouse Museum
On this date in Garden City history:
Garden City Chief of police Arthur Nagle
leaves office after 32 years as Police Chief
Dearborn Drive In
Ford Rd. and N.John Daley Rd
Folker Real Estate Building
29207 Ford Rd.
30247 Ford Rd
Dr Francis Schmitt's first Garden City house, The family moved from the rental unit in Norwayne on August 10, 1948. The vacant lots across the street were soon filled with new homes as the postwar construction boom took off. The house came on two 40-foot-wide lots and the Schmitts also bought the 40-foot lots to the right and left.
Home of Garden City police officer Jesse Smith for over 30 years
I think his Police Motorcycle is parked against the home.
From: Lesli S DeMoss
28233 Ford Rd
Lilienthal Building Company Model
Kmart Ad appeared on this date
Detroit Free Press:
Folker House Model
Somewhere on Barton
Home of William Lathers
around Harrison and Birchlawn
Lathers built the house in 1843 on 40 acres, he paid $1.25 a acre. They called that area of town back then The Irish Settlement.
On this date in 1967 Garden City lost one of its sons.
Rick James Stewart
Rick the son of James J. Stewart and Jacqueline G. Stewart of Garden City Michigan enlisted in the US Marine Corps on March 8 1966 in Detroit. In Vietnam he was assigned to and served with Battery A, 1st Battalion, 13th Marines, 3d MARDIV (Rein) FMF.
During the month of June Battery A was deployed at the Khe Sanh Combat base in support of the 26th Marines providing security and participating in Operation CROCKETT in northern Quang Tri Province.
On June 27, the perimeter was hit with a heavy barrage of 82mm enemy mortar rounds, estimated to be in excess of 50. The hostile fire killed 12 Marines, two were men from Battery A; one of those casualties was PFC Rick Stewart killed in his defensive positon by the deadly fragmentation wounds inflicted to his body.
ON THE WALL: Panel 22E Line 73
Home of Record: Garden City, MI
Date of birth: 08/13/1948
Service Branch: United States Marine Corps
Grade at loss: E2
Rank: Private First Class
Promotion Note: None
ID No: 2261842
MOS: 0811: FIELD ARTILLERY CANNONEER
Length Service: 01
Unit: A BTRY, 1ST BN, 13TH MARINES, 3RD MARDIV, III MAF
Start Tour: Not Recorded
Incident Date: 06/27/1967
Casualty Date: 06/27/1967
Status Date: Not Applicable
Status Change: Not Applicable
Age at Loss: 18
Location: Quang Tri Province, South Vietnam
Remains: Body recovered
Repatriated: Not Applicable
Identified: Not Applicable
Casualty Type: Hostile, died outright
Casualty Reason: Ground casualty
Casualty Detail: Artillery, rocket, or mortar
On this date in Garden City History 6-26-1942 :
Obituary for Robert J. Lathers
Robert J. Lathers was the youngest of John Lathers and Lillian A. Stuart eleven children. Robert J. Lathers, who was born here April 4 1854 and who eventually wrote a great deal on pioneer times. He attended elementary school at the corner of Inkster and Ford rd and went to Michigan Normal School (Eastern Michigan University)..When his father divided his land holdings, Robert received the west section of the old homestead north of Ford rd. and west of Harrison. Robert wrote articles for The Garden City Herald from 1931 to 1935. He commented on the early days of Garden City from firsthand knowledge, observations, and conversations with early pioneers.
R.J. Lathers home moved from
27512 Ford Rd to 5651 Arcola
Lytle Construction Company
Near Middlebelt and Cherry Hill
Somewhere on Barton
Elmwood and Henry Ruff
Win this Home Flyer/Ticket for Home and 1/2 Acre
Garden City's 1935 Model Home
Garden City Civic Association Drawing
Moved from Ford Rd about 1950
Subdivision built in the 50's
Somewhere east of Middlebelt
Marquette to Florence
House was purchased by John Hell in 1924
The Caldwell Funeral Home is built around the old Hauk farm house, which was considerably remodelled in the early 1920's, by John Hell, a local carpenter who was also on the East Nankin Board of Education.
Rear view of Hell Home.
Home on lot, One lot north of
Early Home built by Folker
The Van Akin House dated back to 1833
7130 Venoy Rd
General Lawson Alexander Van Akin, to give him his full title
and the spelling which he adopted for his name in later years, stands
next to Marcus Swift as one of the more colorful of the early pio-
neers. Van Akin was born in 1809 in the village of Phelps, N. Y.,
which was not far from Palmyra. His ancestors were from Holland.
His father, John Van Akin, had served in the Revolutionary War and
the War of 1812 He held the rank of Captain.
Like Swift, Van Akin first made a trip of exploration in 1830 into
southeastern Michigan and the next year, 1831, at the advanced age
of 22, Van Akin boarded the steamer Superior, with his wife, Sally
and infant son, and sailed off for Detroit. A day or two later, he hired a yoke of oxen, piled his belongings into a wagon he had bought back East, and with his small family set off down the "Ann Arbor road", which followed the banks of the Detroit river. The small town was soon left behind, as the wagon
rumbled over the rough road, and they were passing by the French
farm houses, one story high, often whitewashed, and with steep
roofs, out of which dormer windows peeked. In summer, lilac and
rose bushes half hid the homes of the habitants which faced the
river. The road passed close in front of the houses and on the other
side the gardens ran down to the river where single-plank boards set on poles served as piers for each family owning a canoe or small boat. Following the old French plan, each farm had a few rods of river front but reached back a mile or more. It was all very beautiful in the summertime with the white sails of the ships on the blue water and, sometimes in the evenings, the song of those
in canoes or boats came floating over the waters.
Buy now it was the first week in November. The Van Akins
hurried on as fast as their vehicle would permit them and soon were
passing a familiar landmark at the edge of Springwells, the old red
windmill, of Dutch type with revolving sails. A couple of miles
beyond the mill the river road ran into an Indian trail which ran
along the east bank of the Rouge, and up this the Van Akins now
proceeded, going north. Sometime around noon the little party came to the Ten Eyck Inn on the Chicago Turnpike, or Michigan Avenue as it is now called.
Here they stopped for a meal and .while they were seated, four or
five gentlemen rode up, tossed their reins to a waiting boy, came
inside, and ordered a meal which would include "some fresh meat."
Now, Conrad Ten Eyck was something of a character. He had
been a classmate of Martin Van Buren when in school together back
East and, among other things, Ten Eyck was at this time Treasurer
of the County which then, of course, consisted mostly of dense forest
and swamp once one was outside Detroit. It so happened that the
Inn was without any fresh meat when the order was given.
Rather than admit that his establishment, so well known to all
who traveled the Chicago road, was lacking in a basic commodity,
Ten Eyck stepped over to the kitchen door and called out to his wife,
"Is there any of that old wolf stew still in the pot?"
On hearing this, the four or five gentlemen held a low and
hurried conversation and left at once. And soon after, their own
repast finished, the Van Akins climbed back on their wagon, flicked
the plodding oxen into action and slowly rumbled down the narrow
road. The giant trees on either side rose like pillars of some vast
cathedral, their golden autumn leaves meeting high overhead in kind
of natural arch. Proceeding on the road, which is now the driveway of Fair lane Estate, the Van Akins eventually reached Ann Arbor Trail, turned
west and presumably late that evening came to their land. Van Akin
had purchased 160 acres on the south side of Warren with the land
bisected by what is now Venoy, but which was then not even a foot-
path. On the east side of this land, young Van Akin "erected a
shanty of boards and poles which he called a house." The narrative continues, "It was at least a shelter. It was the first erected in that vicinity, and Van Akin occupied it for about a year and until he got fourteen acres cleared and a comfortable house erected. Wild game and especially deer were so plentiful
in that section at that time that they would frequently come around
where the men were working. And the deer would sometimes come
near the house - in the evening and gaze in the windows at the light.
There were also plenty of wolves in the neighborhood, which made
the night hideous with their howling.
"One intensely cold winter night an Indian came into the house
with a knife and tomahawk and wanted something to eat. Mrs. Van
Akin was so alarmed she could not speak. Her husband told her
it was best to get something for the unwelcome stranger, which was
done with remarkable alacrity. When he had taken his food, the Indian took his leave and went into a swamp to the southward, very much to the amazement
of the family, that anyone should voluntarily go out in the night,
into the storm and forest, without shelter and in such inclement
weather." According to another biographer, who did not especially care
for him, Van Akin "... was captain in the militia at one time
and subsequently reached a military grade by which he was called
general." But the writer admitted that Van Akin was industrious,
if vain, and that among other crops he raised peppermint, "of which
he distilled hundreds of pounds of the essential oil annually."
Home of Fred Theuer
Was located around Merriman Rd
House on Lathers around Beechwood
Built for Mrs. Mathews by John Lathers in the late 1800's
Ford Foundation Home moved here in 1950
6116 Merriman Rd.
Tom Loop Home
31450 Pierce St.
Tom lived here over 70 years.
Early Folker house
Built in 1925
7045 Middlebelt Rd.
Margaret Roddenburg took one last look at the
Middlebelt home she lived in most of her life
Early Garden City House
30507 Hennepin Ave
Built in the 30's
McFarlane Brothers Sales Promotion from over 90 years ago.
Opening of Rainbow Gardens (North side Ford rd between Helen and Belton) with a chance to win the Model A in the picture.
6221 Merriman Rd
Garden City, MI
Be the first to know and let us send you an email when Straight Farmhouse Museum posts news and promotions. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Send a message to Straight Farmhouse Museum: