On this day in B&O history! On May 24th, 1830, the first 13 miles of the Baltimore and Ohio opened for public traffic. The journey between Baltimore and Ellicott’s Mills was by horse drawn railcar, A one-way trip only took one and a half hours to complete, with a stopover at Relay to change horses. The new railroad was an immediate success as the journey by horse drawn railcar was much faster and more comfortable than the equivalent journey by stage coach. This was the first regular rail service in the United States. However, horse drawn railcars would be quickly be replaced by Steam Locomotives which were being developed at the same time. To learn more about early railroad history, stop by the Ellicott City Station Museum between Wednesdays and Sundays and see our replica of the Pioneer car, the first horse drawn railcar to make the journey on the Railroad!