Dobbs Ferry Historical Society

Dobbs Ferry Historical Society visit our website at: www.DobbsFerryHistory.org
The Dobbs Ferry Historical Society serves the community by: • collecting and preserving public and private documents as well as formal and informal correspondence which have been used by past generations and which typify and illustrate their way of life. • making available historical publications, books, paintings, artifacts, and maps relating to the history of Dobbs Ferry. • filming and recording oral histories of present citizens to preserve their stories for future generations. • publishing books, pamphlets and the newsletter, The Ferryman. • fostering an awareness and appreciation for the history of Dobbs Ferry and all the people, noted and humble, who transmitted the good things of the past to the present and the future.

Our Archives are located at the Mead House which was bequeathed to the Society by Clara Mead in 1990. The house is also available for community meetings and private functions.

Mission: Our mission is to preserve and present the history of the people and the institutions that make up the Village of Dobbs Ferry, New York.

Still going strong…Dobbs Ferry was incorporated as a Village 146 years ago on July 5, 1873. Featured is the program fr...
07/05/2019

Still going strong…
Dobbs Ferry was incorporated as a Village 146 years ago on July 5, 1873. Featured is the program from the Diamond Jubilee in 1948, and a glimpse from the reviewing stand of the 1973 Centennial parade.

Happy Fourth!Pasquale Connola and daughters, Rachel and Josephine, in front of his tailor shop, 153 Main Street (former ...
07/04/2019

Happy Fourth!
Pasquale Connola and daughters, Rachel and Josephine, in front of his tailor shop, 153 Main Street (former library and now DeLa Garza Architecture) celebrate the Fourth of July circa 1900.

Summertime, and the living is easy…Upaway, was the summer estate of Dr. George F. Shrady (father-in-law of Edwin Gould...
06/28/2019

Summertime, and the living is easy…
Upaway, was the summer estate of Dr. George F. Shrady (father-in-law of Edwin Gould). The house, located on what is now the Juhring Estate Woodland Preserve, burned in 1931 and was demolished in 1941.

Great program at the Mead House this coming weekend. All are welcome.
06/17/2019

Great program at the Mead House this coming weekend. All are welcome.

Today is Flag Day, commemorating the adoption of the flag of the United States by the Second Continental Congress on Jun...
06/14/2019

Today is Flag Day, commemorating the adoption of the flag of the United States by the Second Continental Congress on June 14, 1777. President Woodrow Wilson established the day in 1916. Pictured is a group of Dobbs Ferry school children proudly displaying the 48 star version of the “Stars and Stripes” circa 1913 or 1914.

Tonight, June 12, is Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. Another hockey season comes to an end.Pictured, is the 1939 Dobbs...
06/12/2019

Tonight, June 12, is Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. Another hockey season comes to an end.
Pictured, is the 1939 Dobbs Ferry High School Hockey Team.

Dobbs Ferry Historical Society's cover photo
06/10/2019

Dobbs Ferry Historical Society's cover photo

Some enchanted evenings...Tonight is the 73rd annual Tony AwardsVillage Clerk Liz Draper created this mural over the ent...
06/09/2019

Some enchanted evenings...
Tonight is the 73rd annual Tony Awards
Village Clerk Liz Draper created this mural over the entrance to the high school auditorium, of performances by Dobbs Ferry students. Liz began the mural when she was in high school and updated it after graduation.

Remembering….June 6, 1944- Normandy, the largest military air, sea and land invasion took place to stop Nazi Germany. ...
06/06/2019

Remembering….
June 6, 1944- Normandy, the largest military air, sea and land invasion took place to stop Nazi Germany. D-Day turned the course of WW II.
Dobbs Ferry resident Augustine Monteleon, landed on Omaha Beach on that day. Monteleon, (photo right), and fellow GI point to their unit, the 616th Ordinance Ammunition Co., listed as part of the Fifth Engineer Special Brigade that was part of the invasion on D-Day. The monument still stands today, at Colleville-sur-Mer overlooking Omaha Beach.

Young designers took over the Mead House on Saturday, in a family workshop led by ArchForKids.
06/04/2019

Young designers took over the Mead House on Saturday,
in a family workshop led by ArchForKids.

On this Memorial Day and every day,Remember...
05/27/2019

On this Memorial Day and every day,
Remember...

Another interesting program at the Mead House...
05/22/2019

Another interesting program at the Mead House...

The DF  Historical Society will host a reception  recognizing all students who entered this year's contest "Why History ...
05/22/2019

The DF Historical Society will host a reception recognizing all students who entered this year's contest "Why History Matters to Me," on Sunday, June 2, 2-4 p.m. at the Mead House.
The winning essay/presentation will take place during the reception and the top three submissions will be on display.

05/22/2019
This Weekend!
05/22/2019

This Weekend!

Dobbs Ferry Historical Society's cover photo
05/18/2019

Dobbs Ferry Historical Society's cover photo

Tomorrow, May 19,  Dobbs Ferry Historical Society presents "The History of Railroads in Westchester", by local author an...
05/18/2019

Tomorrow, May 19, Dobbs Ferry Historical Society presents "The History of Railroads in Westchester", by local author and Dobbs Ferry native, Kent Patterson. The program will be at the Dobbs Ferry Public Library at 2 p.m.
Shown is a view of the DF Train Station circa 1900.

A seaplane made an emergency landing in the Hudson River on Tuesday, and was pulled out of the river by firefighters fro...
05/15/2019

A seaplane made an emergency landing in the Hudson River on Tuesday, and was pulled out of the river by firefighters from Piermont.
In the 1930s and 1940s, the Dobbs Ferry seaplane base at the waterfront was an active enterprise. The base was used (less and less) until around the time of the opening the Tappan Zee Bridge in 1955, when it ceased operations all together.
Actors Laurence Olivier and Vivian Leigh took flying lessons here in 1940 (only Olivier, who had flying lessons prior to coming to DF, logged enough hours here for a license).

Facebook Co-Founder Mark Zuckerberg grew up in this house on Russell Place. Zuckerberg celebrates his 35th birthday, tod...
05/15/2019

Facebook Co-Founder Mark Zuckerberg grew up in this house on Russell Place. Zuckerberg celebrates his 35th birthday, today, May 14.

All are welcome. Hope to see you there.
05/12/2019

All are welcome. Hope to see you there.

Coming soon....
05/09/2019

Coming soon....

Celebrating Small Business week May 5-11. Check out the great article on page 3 of The Ferrymen! (link below)
05/05/2019
dobbsferryhistory.org

Celebrating Small Business week May 5-11. Check out the great article on page 3 of The Ferrymen! (link below)

The RiverArts Annual Studio Tour, a multi- village event, is this weekend (April 27- 28).Much of Dobbs Ferry’s artists...
04/25/2019

The RiverArts Annual Studio Tour, a multi- village event, is this weekend (April 27- 28).
Much of Dobbs Ferry’s artists' works will be displayed at 145 Palisade Street.
In 1853, German immigrant, Peter M. Biegan founded the Hudson River Brewery at 145 Palisade St. The site complex included several red brick buildings, a pool, a waterfall, an underground storage area for beer and a dock. The brewery and subsequent breweries, including Anchor Brewery, was the largest employer in Dobbs Ferry, which ended with the advent of Prohibition.
The main building was razed in 1925, and new owners, the Methodist Book Concern, built a factory to produce Bibles and other religious books there. In 1941 North American Philips brought the property for war goods production, and in 1951, Columbia University leased the property for labs.
Today, multiple businesses, including Hudco and The Beauty Parlor, and many artists' studios call 145 home.
http://2019studiotour.riverarts.org.

Dobbs Ferry Historical Society's cover photo
04/23/2019

Dobbs Ferry Historical Society's cover photo

On this World Book Day…Take a walk on the…  Spoilers Run Trail between Lefurgy and Washington avenuesThe path is nam...
04/23/2019

On this World Book Day…
Take a walk on the… Spoilers Run Trail between Lefurgy and Washington avenues
The path is named for The Spoilers, written by novelist, playwright and onetime DF resident, Rex Beach (1877- 1949).
The novel, made into a movie five different times between 1906 and 1955 featured such Hollywood luminaries as Marlena Dietrich, Gary Cooper and John Wayne.
Beach was also a member of the silver medal- winning US water polo team in the 1904 Summer Olympics in St. Louis.

Today (April 22) is Earth Day!  Trees are planted, the earth is tended, and reverence is paid…. Dobbs Ferry is home to...
04/23/2019

Today (April 22) is Earth Day! Trees are planted, the earth is tended, and reverence is paid….
Dobbs Ferry is home to a stunning array of trees. Some of these trees are living memorials made by friends and relatives to residents who have passed, while others are dedicated to organizations. Some of these trees have been planted at Willow Point Park and other areas at the waterfront, and at the Historical Society’s Mead House.
At the river, stones placed in front of the trees and at the Mead House, plaques acknowledge those who have been memorialized.

On April 17, 1907, the most immigrants, on any given day, (more than 11,000) passed through Ellis Island. The Island was...
04/18/2019
dobbsferryhistory.org

On April 17, 1907, the most immigrants, on any given day, (more than 11,000) passed through Ellis Island. The Island was the site of immigrant entrance into the United States from 1892- 1954.
Dobbs Ferry’s immigrant populated brought (and still brings) much to the village.
Mother Cabrini, the first naturalized American saint, considered one of the most important immigrants to ever pass through Ellis Island, had a large impact on Dobbs Ferry. She not only founded an orphanage but she was instrumental in getting Italians to hear mass in their own language and ultimately in getting their own parish.
The Cabrini Nursing Home on Broadway and the Cabrini Immigrant Services on Main Street bear her name.

04/16/2019
Ardsley Country Club: 5th Hole

Tiger & the Masters on our minds …
Dobbs Ferry is the home to a major part of the Ardsley Country Club, one of the premier golf courses in Westchester. Designed by Willie Dunn, the course opened in 1895. At the time, ACC was the most expensive course ever designed ($1 million). The course originally was closer to the Hudson River, and has since been renovated several times.
Founding members included J. P Morgan, Cornelius Vanderbilt, William & John Rockefeller and Jay and Edwin Gould.
Henry Villard and William F. Judson have also served on its board of governors.

This is "Ardsley Country Club: 5th Hole" by Matt Pyrch on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.

The Colonel and the Community, a program about  Franklin Q. Brown's impact on Dobbs Ferry, held Saturday, April 13, was ...
04/16/2019

The Colonel and the Community, a program about Franklin Q. Brown's impact on Dobbs Ferry, held Saturday, April 13, was sponsored by the Dobbs Ferry Historical Society, Westchester County Historical Society, and the Friends of the Dobbs Ferry Library.
From left: Frank Farrington, Co- President Dobbs Ferry Historical Society; Vikki Jones, President Friends of the Dobbs Ferry Library, Patrick Raftery, Westchester County Historical Society, Sam (Skip) Page, jr., the Hon. Walter Schwartz, former Ardsley Village Historian; Richard Borkow, Dobbs Ferry Village Historian (Sara Rodgers, photographer).

04/15/2019
Friends of the Dobbs Ferry Library

Sam (Skip) Page Jr. , the great-great grandson of Franklin Quimby & Ida Eldridge Brown sharing his family history at the Colonel and the Community program at the Dobbs Ferry Library, yesterday.
The community sponsors for the DFPL program were the Dobbs Ferry and Westchester historical societies, and the Friends of the Dobbs Ferry Library.

This was a very interesting local program. Thank you Skip for bringing your family back to Dobbs Ferry Public Library!

And the Madness ends…We’re #1! We’re #1!The DFHS 2019 boy’s basketball team won the Section 1 championship in th...
04/09/2019

And the Madness ends…
We’re #1! We’re #1!
The DFHS 2019 boy’s basketball team won the Section 1 championship in their division, the first time since the 1967 championship team.
The 1967 team also broke the then school’s scoring record- racking up 105 points against Croton.

The NCAA Women’s Final is over for another year….Until 1939, the Women’s Division of the National Amateur Athletic...
04/08/2019

The NCAA Women’s Final is over for another year….
Until 1939, the Women’s Division of the National Amateur Athletic Federation took on women’s extramural basketball and other sports finding it too competitive. The group worked to get high schools, church groups and other organizations to ban tournaments.
The DFHS ’39 Honor Girls Basketball team not only competed, but they also were victorious against several neighboring schools.

Mark your calendars
04/02/2019

Mark your calendars

Spotlighting more DF Women Theresa Conlin followed her injured husband onto the Civil War battlefield, nursing him throu...
03/31/2019

Spotlighting more DF Women
Theresa Conlin followed her injured husband onto the Civil War battlefield, nursing him through his injuries. For the duration of the war she remained on battlefields nursing wounded soldiers.
Lily Coffey enlisted in the Women’s Navel Reserve Corps (WAVES) during WW II and served as a medical corpsmen in a military hospital in Long Beach CA.
Nurse Peg Moynihan was instrumental in spearheading the formation of the Dobbs Ferry Volunteer Ambulance Corps in 1962.
Dr. Mae Pepper was not only the head of Mercy College’s graduate nursing department, she was a friend and neighbor of Clara Mead and a Historical Society trustee. She was the custodian of Clara’s eggnog recipe. Today, that same recipe is served at the Society’s annual eggnog party.

Play ball…Today, is opening day for baseball…After Gould Park was completed it became the home to Dobbs Ferry High S...
03/28/2019

Play ball…
Today, is opening day for baseball…
After Gould Park was completed it became the home to Dobbs Ferry High School sports teams.
In 1924, Edwin Gould, son of financier, Jay Gould, (think Lyndhurst in Tarrytown), donated 6.5 acres of land for a park and $20,000 for the construction of a baseball diamond, football field, tennis courts and children’s wading pool there. Gould lived in the village from 1902 –1927, at his home Agawam, on Broadway. The property also contained multiple outer buildings and a boat dock and house. The entrance to the property was where Sacred Heart School once stood, now the Alcott School.
Below: The 1965 DFHS baseball team in front of the school.

Since 1873, when it became a village, Dobbs Ferry has only one woman mayor, Gisela S. Knight, 1984-88. Since her tenure,...
03/26/2019

Since 1873, when it became a village, Dobbs Ferry has only one woman mayor, Gisela S. Knight, 1984-88. Since her tenure, several women trustees have been appointed to Deputy Mayor. To date only 16 women have served on the village BOT.
When asked about the inaccuracies on the Washington’s Headquarters monument, Gisela told the NY Times, Feb. 15, 1987, “Dobbs Ferry old-timers- cherish this story, but the truth is the truth. I am a history buff myself and I do want the monument corrected.”

As Hudson Valley Restaurant Week ends- time to once again shine a spotlight on another family-run eatery from the villag...
03/25/2019

As Hudson Valley Restaurant Week ends- time to once again shine a spotlight on another family-run eatery from the village’s past.
Paparella’s Restaurant opened in 1970 in the new Southfield Ave. shopping center. The Paparella Construction Co., father Nick, and sons, Angelo and Chris, built the shopping mall. The family decided to open a restaurant in the spot allotted for one in the new shopping center- and Paparella’s was born. The Italian- American menu offered homemade fare including such favorites as gnocchi and cheesecake. After several years, the family sold the restaurant, and it became the Casa Rina. During a 30- year period, the Paparella Construction Co. built many local residences.

More for Women’s History Month…Highlighting three Dobbs Ferry women, who thought Dobbs Ferry history was important e...
03/20/2019

More for Women’s History Month…
Highlighting three Dobbs Ferry women, who thought Dobbs Ferry history was important enough to record.
Alice Denike (below in a class photo, 1st one on left 1st row), village historian during the 1950s and 1960s, compiled a history of DF, “Growth of the Village.” Much of her work appeared in The Dobbs Ferry Register.
Professor, Sr. Agnes Parrell (pictured below in 1973 at Wickers Creek) taught a popular local history class at Mercy College. Her book, “Profiles of Dobbs Ferry”, was published in 1976.
Jean Fritz, award-winning children’s author, chronicled the History of Dobbs Ferry in The Ferrymen, the Society’s newsletter.
Agnes and Jean were trustees of the Society. Alice was a member of the Historical Committee, an early precursor to the Society.

Dobbs Ferry Historical Society's cover photo
03/20/2019

Dobbs Ferry Historical Society's cover photo

Happy St. Patrick’s DayThe Westchester County “Great Hunger Memorial” was unveiled on June 24, 2001 at V.E. Macy P...
03/17/2019

Happy St. Patrick’s Day

The Westchester County “Great Hunger Memorial” was unveiled on June 24, 2001 at V.E. Macy Park in Ardsley, off the Saw Mill River Parkway, commemorating the suffering of millions of Irish peasants who died from the potato famine or were forced to leave their country.

The role of the Irish immigrant in Dobbs Ferry was explored in the May 2000 issue of the Historical Society’s newsletter, The Ferryman.
Céad Míle Fáilte
http://dobbsferryhistory.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/048-2000_May.pdf.

It’s Westchester Restaurant Week- Remembering: Scappy’s Harmony Inn was the go to place to dine out, to bowl and to ...
03/13/2019

It’s Westchester Restaurant Week-
Remembering:

Scappy’s Harmony Inn was the go to place to dine out, to bowl and to chat with friends at the bar.
The family- run business was opened in 1939 by Christoph and Anna Scaperrotta at 207 Ashford, and stayed open for the next 60 years. The restaurant was the site of many bridal showers, children’s birthday parties, local organizational meetings, weddings, and then some…

Popular Dobbs Ferry High School history teacher, L. Doris Wood, taught generations of students from 1923-51.  During WWI...
03/09/2019

Popular Dobbs Ferry High School history teacher, L. Doris Wood, taught generations of students from 1923-51. During WWII, she wrote to young men and women from her classes while they served in the armed services.
Wood’s importance to the community was highlighted at the Society’s 2016 Annual Gala with a dramatic presentation of the letters.
The letters are part of the Historical Society’s permanent collection.

Digging it….The March Blizzard of 1888 dumped nearly two feet of snow, crippling the village and train transportation ...
03/04/2019

Digging it….
The March Blizzard of 1888 dumped nearly two feet of snow, crippling the village and train transportation for days.
In 1926 (Pictured above), the village digs out from yet another substantial snow fall.

Dobbs Ferry Historian Rebecca Browning Rankin was the Municipal Reference Librarian of the City of New York from 1920- 1...
03/01/2019

Dobbs Ferry Historian Rebecca Browning Rankin was the Municipal Reference Librarian of the City of New York from 1920- 1952. She moved to Dobbs Ferry in 1927, to live with her friend Alice Bunting at 31 Lefurgy Ave.
She soon volunteered to catalog the village’s history collection that was then kept at the library. After her appointment as VH she organized a group of 25 residents who became known as the Local History Group. Together they collected DF info that was published in the Dobbs Ferry Register from July 1957- April 1958.
Rankin also led children’s programs at the library and tended her garden on Lefurgy Ave. She died in 1965. She was 78.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/444735.A_True_Politician.

Address

12 Elm St
Dobbs Ferry, NY
10522

General information

Archives are open on Tuesday mornings from 10 am until noon and at other times by appointment. The Society is governed by a Board of Trustees elected at the annual meeting by those residents of Dobbs Ferry who have joined the Society.

Opening Hours

Tuesday 10:00 - 12:00

Telephone

(914) 674-1007

Alerts

Be the first to know and let us send you an email when Dobbs Ferry Historical Society posts news and promotions. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at any time.

Contact The Museum

Send a message to Dobbs Ferry Historical Society:

Videos

Category

Nearby museums


Other Museums in Dobbs Ferry

Show All