Cortland County Historical Society

Cortland County Historical Society Telling Your Stories Since 1925! Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok for local history! We love to share life in the past lane with you!

The Cortland County Historical Society was founded in 1925 and we have been serving up local history ever since. We offer programs about local history, house an excellent research center (as well as a museum full of super cool artifacts!), have educational kits available for organizations to borrow, and we table at several festivals within the county each year. CCHS is home to both the Suggett Hou

se Museum and the Kellogg Memorial Research Center. The Suggett House is a wonderful museum with artifacts that span the two centuries of Cortland County history, though our collection includes items from four centuries (mid 1700s-today). We have fabulous items like Major General Samuel G. Hatheway’s hat and epaulets, a rocking horse owned by Dr. H.O. Jewett, Francis Bicknell Carpenter paintings, a very rare bloomer costume, furniture from the homes of both Jedediah Barber and William Randall, wreaths and jewelry made from human hair, and so very much more! If you don’t know who these folks are or why they are important, be sure to stop by to hear their stories. The Suggett House Museum is also home to our recent addition, the Then & Now Children's Room, a child sized history room where kids can explore history with hands on activities and play. Our research center is a treasure trove of information about our shared past. We have diaries, letters, photographs, family files and genealogies, vital statistics, census records, cemetery records, and town, church and school records. This list barely scratches the surface of what is stored within the library and vault at CCHS! We are here to provide assisted research or you can hire us to do research for you if you are unable to visit us. We are open Wednesday through Saturday from 12-5pm. Please call ahead to confirm we will be open as we occasionally take the show on the road for local festivals which means staff will not be available on site. Our number is 607-756-6071. We look forward to assisting you with your research needs or showing you through our quaint museum.

Main Street Monday95-101 Main StreetAs covered in the previous Main Street Monday post, the lot on which the buildings m...
08/31/2026

Main Street Monday
95-101 Main Street

As covered in the previous Main Street Monday post, the lot on which the buildings making up 95-101 Main Street contained in early years “the cherished home of the Hon. William Mallery." The property exchanged hands three or four times until it came under the ownership of Joseph Reynolds in 1853.

It is probably at this time that a new block, called the “Reynolds Block,” was erected on the lot, likely initially neighboring the Mallery residence. Smith’s “History of Cortland County” explains that “the first public hall in Cortland village that was prepared expressly for amusements, public meetings, dancing parties, etc., was what was known as Reynolds’s Hall, and later as Squires’s Hall, after the building passed into possession of James S. Squires.”

Also in the Reynolds Block was the Empire Saloon located in the basement, accessed by a stair on the left side of the building. “R. Newton and N. Sannick respectfully announce that they have leased the above establishment (Empire Saloon) and have fitted it up as a first-class Saloon, where all the delicacies, as well as substantials, will be served in the most superior style. During the summer season they will be constantly prepared to serve excellent ICE CREAM AND CONFECTIONARY, with ample conveniences, and skill in its manufacture, their Cream cannot be excelled by any other establishment. Parties of Ladies and Gentlemen will be accommodated,” (Cortland NY Whig, May 1854). There was steady turnover in ownership of the saloon over the years; in 1858 the Republican Banner reported that “We called into the Empire Saloon a day or two since, and was very agreeably surprised to find it kept in much better order than we had imagined. Instead of the manner in which such Saloons are usually kept, this is kept neatly and quietly. Mr. Meadon the Proprietor, has the appearance of a gentleman, and will do all in his power to accommodate his customers.” It was said of another proprietor, Johnny Hunter, that “in order to avoid the ‘bar’ law, kept his whiskey in a pail with a dipper and these in an old stove.”

The other storefronts of the Reynolds Block in the 1850s were used by Lyman Reynolds, lawyer; Benton & Woodruff, clothes; William E. Lewis, boots and shoes. In 1857, Lyman Reynolds went out to Minnesota with his brother-in-law, Augustus Ballard, to start up a lumber mill. The Reynolds Block, under the ownership of Lyman’s father, Joseph Reynolds, was sold off to James S. Squires in 1861.

Throughout the following decades, while the names associated with the businesses changed constantly, they mostly kept to the same types- boots & shoes, barbers, hardware/carriage goods, clothing & accessories, furniture & undertaking, along with offices upstairs that at one time housed the Cortland Democrat printing offices, and an assembly hall on the third floor. The assembly hall played host to countless clubs and organizations, and would be known at various times as Temperence Hall & Odd Fellows Hall, and accommodated the meetings of the Lincoln Lodge (I.O.G.T.); Bryan & Sewall bi-metallic league (Free Silverites); the Knights of Pythias, and many others.

Sometime before 1895, William Martin purchased the building which became known as the Martin block. In 1900, it was announced that “W.A. Wallace & Co have opened the only saloon in the city of Cortland. The interior of the Martin block has been fitted up in elegant shape, several very pretty lunch rooms being nicely furnished,” (Cortland Democrat, July 13, 1900). This saloon was named the Oak Café, located in the northernmost (left) storefront. After twenty years, Wallace sold the business to Earl A. Fish who still operated the café in 1930 when the block (sold in 1910 to Charles F. Sarson & J. Melvin Samson) underwent renovations at which time the entire first floor of the building was lowered to street level, new store fronts put in and tapestry brick used for the front with stucco for the upper floors, giving the old frame structure with brown wooden siding a fresh look. At the same time, the bottom floor would be taken over by the Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company (A&P) store and the Circle Supply Corp. which dealt in radios, automobile tires and accessories, and small appliances.

While up until now my focus has been on the Reynolds block, I would be remiss to forget to mention that the alleyway between the block and its neighbor (Dowd building) to the left, long the access point to the saloons and barber shops that occupied the downstairs, was by the 1880s taken over by a narrow addition housing at different points a jeweler, a fruit stand, and various to***conists (James Kelley & Co, Sebastian Lohr & Son, James Porter, John Scollins). The longest running of the to***co shops was the Umpire Cigar Store started up by Ira A. Dexter in the first part of the twentieth century, and carried on by his son, Thomas Arthur “Art” Dexter.

In October of 1959, the over one-hundred-year-old block was demolished to make way for a new J.C. Penney. The Cortland Standard reported that it was the “oldest business block on Main Street, in which Fabrizio’s Men’s Shop and Alita’s Vogue now occupy the ground level stores. Penney’s new store is designed to provide 14,000 square feet of floor space. The landlord will be Harry Fabrizio…Fabrizio’s Men’s Shop and the business known as Alita’s New Dress Shop will be relocated two doors down in the former Mathews store building, now being completely renovated. Also relocating will be a barber shop, sign painting studio and tailor shop now in upper floors of the building to be demolished. The demolition of the Fabrizio building, which is about 130 years old, will also include Dexter’s Cigar Store…Harry Fabrizio purchased the former Reynolds Block in 1929 from the Samson estate, the block at one time owned by the firm Samson and Sarson. The block is believed to have been erected in 1829 [unconfirmed] and was known as the Martin Block (this is a later name for it)…The building formerly had a balcony across the front...The new Penney’s will be completely modern and will feature the latest developments in store design, fixtures, lighting, and equipment. Illumination throughout will be provided by the new fluorescent lighting. Color will be engineered to play a functional as well as decorative role in each department.”

In 1991, J.C. Penney moved into a new location in Cortlandville. The front of the Main Street block was remodeled in the 2000s, and in 2013 was occupied by the Armed Forces Career Center; Cortland Works Career Center; and The Bling Store. These remain unchanged except for the last unit (101), now Gorgers restaurant.

~Sophie, Collections & Research Assistant

What connection does the four-time Pulitzer Prize winning poet Robert Frost have to do with Cortland? In 1935, Frost’s p...
08/28/2026

What connection does the four-time Pulitzer Prize winning poet Robert Frost have to do with Cortland? In 1935, Frost’s poem, The Gold Hesperidee, was published by The Bibliophile Press in Cortland. The Bibliophile Press was founded by Earle W. Newton in his home at 34 Tompkins Street when he was a twelve-year-old boy. From his home, and later from a house out back, Newton conducted a small business which printed cards, letterheads, and pamphlets until he left for prep school in 1932. When he returned home for the summers, he returned to his printing business.

From prep school, Newton moved onto Amherst College where he met the acquaintance of Robert Frost who was, at that time, the Poet in Residence at the college. Frost was a well-known poet at the time, having already been awarded two of his four Pulitzer Prizes, but he took an interest in Newton’s printing career and offered an unpublished poem to print. What an exciting opportunity for the young man! Unfortunately, his press broke down that summer, and the actual printing was done at a shop on Central Avenue (formerly Railroad Street) in Cortland. There were reportedly about 5oo copies made. The illustration on the cover was created by Earle Newton’s mother, Ann McGraw, and the text cut was done by his friend, Charles Miller. This small booklet is indeed a rare treasure to find.

This enterprising youngster went on to become an accomplished historian with a long list of achievements, including a stint as the director of Old Sturbridge Village in Massachusetts, as president of the American Association for State and Local History (AASLH), as director of the State Restoration Commission in St. Augustine, and as editor of American Heritage. This is just a sample of his many accomplishments!

This story goes to show that a little entrepreneurship and a little luck can set a young person on an extraordinarily successful career path! ~Tabitha Scoville, CCHS Director

Photo of Robert Frost was taken in 1941 and is courtesy of the Library of Congress and is available to view here: https://www.loc.gov/item/98506674/.

Photo of the week!Birdseye view of Cortland from the south, circa 1910. Wickwire Bros. mill visible on the right.       ...
08/27/2026

Photo of the week!

Birdseye view of Cortland from the south, circa 1910. Wickwire Bros. mill visible on the right.

A few weeks ago, we shared an image of a dance held inside the hangar of the Cortland Airport- it generated quite a bit ...
08/26/2026

A few weeks ago, we shared an image of a dance held inside the hangar of the Cortland Airport- it generated quite a bit of interest, and a member even made a visit to CCHS to share a potentially related story!

In the summer of 1931, Anne Marie Butler attended a social dance at the airport. Live music was provided by the Wh**ey Kaufman broadcasting orchestra, one of the members of which was the handsome Webster Gillen. The imagination is prone to try to imagine the scene at the airport: Mr. Gillen playing the piano, his eyes glancing up over the dance floor and catching sight of the twenty-year-old Miss Butler. Perhaps during a break, he had a chance to talk with her and be charmed by her. As he was employed by a traveling orchestra, he would know his opportunities to spend time with the lovely Miss Butler would be limited, so maybe he asked for her address or phone number and promised to be in touch from the road.

It’s not currently possible to know that the event pictured is the same one that Anne and Webster met at, but it’s fun to think that they might be amongst the figures on the dance floor! However it played out, romance sparked between Mr. Gillen & Miss Butler, and three months later the couple were wed at St. Anthony’s Church. What made this event particularly newsworthy was that during her Cortland High School years, Anne Butler was organizer of the Bachelorette Sorority, in which all members pledged to never marry. One by one, each would break this promise, including Anne, and the sorority was reformed in 1940 as the Bach-Mar Club, welcoming both married and unmarried members.

We’re grateful to our own CCHS members and those who follow us here on Facebook for sharing with us stories that aren’t always readily found in our files, and helping add even more fascinating context to what we already know!

Photo of the week!Photo postcard image of the view off Tinker's Falls in Truxton, c.1909.The man is identified as "Mr. W...
08/20/2026

Photo of the week!

Photo postcard image of the view off Tinker's Falls in Truxton, c.1909.
The man is identified as "Mr. Westcott."

Free Admission Every Day?That’s right, you can visit the Suggett House Museum and the Then & Now Children’s Room for fre...
08/18/2026

Free Admission Every Day?

That’s right, you can visit the Suggett House Museum and the Then & Now Children’s Room for free every day we are open! History belongs to all of us, and providing affordable ways for our community to experience history is important to us. Please call ahead at 607-756-6071 with any questions you may have or to verify if we’ll be open on a holiday weekend. Our regular hours are Wednesday-Saturday from 12-5pm. We’re looking forward to exploring life in the past lane with you!

In 1906, Upton Sinclair wrote The Jungle as an expose about the unsanitary conditions in slaughterhouses in Chicago, and...
08/14/2026

In 1906, Upton Sinclair wrote The Jungle as an expose about the unsanitary conditions in slaughterhouses in Chicago, and this book has been required reading for high schoolers for decades. But did you know there was a slaughterhouse in the middle of Cortland?

The Cortland Beef Company was a branch of the Manhattan Beef Company of New York and operated in the city of Cortland from 1888 to about 1918. In his obituary, it states that Alfred H. Winchell was the founder of the Cortland Beef Company, and records indicate that his son, Bryant C. Winchell was the longtime manager of the company.

The facility was located at 98 Railroad Street which was on the corner of what is now Central Avenue and Pendleton Street. The iSpice parking lot and building sit where the Cortland Beef Company once operated.

The Cortland Beef Company operated as “wholesale dealers and slaughterers of dressed meats, pork packers and wholesale dealers in butter, cheese, eggs, provisions, canned fruits, preserved fruits, salt, fish and manufacturers of sausage,” according to the Cortland Standard’s 1914 Industrial Edition. They were especially renowned for their Epicure hams and bacon.

During its existence, the company suffered three devastating fires, the first of which occurred in 1895. The fire started in the smokehouse and caused extensive damage. Another fire in 1904 destroyed the plant, causing the company to build an entirely new facility with modern equipment and more efficient methods for processing meat, including eight huge coolers. The largest cooler could hold 35,000 pounds of smoked meats, and the ice bunkers on the second floor held 350 tons of ice. The abbatoir (slaughterhouse) was situated in the center of the building and was constructed for efficient cleaning. Holding pens for livestock were in the basement which led to the abbatoir. In 1912, their production capability was 30,000,000 pounds of meat a year. A third fire in 1913 caused the company to rebuild yet again. This facility had even more production capacity, fire protection features, and communication capabilities.

For as successful as the Cortland Beef Company was, its demise is unclear. At some point Armour and Company became involved in the plant production, and that may mean that it purchased and closed or simply absorbed the Cortland Beef Company. ~Tabitha Scoville, CCHS Director

Address

25 Homer Avenue
Cortland, NY
13045

Opening Hours

Wednesday 12pm - 5pm
Thursday 12pm - 5pm
Friday 12pm - 5pm
Saturday 12pm - 5pm

Telephone

+16077566071

Alerts

Be the first to know and let us send you an email when Cortland County Historical Society posts news and promotions. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at any time.

Contact The Museum

Send a message to Cortland County Historical Society:

Shortcuts

Share

Category