The Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument commemorates the 9,000 individuals from Cuyahoga County who served in the American Civil War. It was dedicated on July 4th, 1894 and has since been a stoic reminder of the region’s patriotism and loyalty to the Union. To this day, the Monument’s exterior and interior remain open to the public and free to visit.
The Monument consists of a 125 foot column surrounded at its base by a Memorial Room and esplanade. The column, topped with a statue of the Goddess of Freedom, defended by the Shield of Liberty, signifies the essence of the Nation for which Cuyahoga County veterans were willing to and did give their lives. Four bronze groupings on the esplanade depict, in battle scenes, the Navy, Artillery, Infantry, and Cavalry. Inside the Memorial Room are four bronze relief sculptures: Women's Soldiers' and Sailors' Aid Society, Beginning of the War in Ohio, Emancipation of the Slaves, and End of the War at City Point, Va., as well as busts of Gen. James Barnett and Architect & Sculptor Levi T. Scofield, together with 6 officers, who were either killed in action, or died due to wounds sustained in battle.
The column is made of polished black Quincy granite with 6 foliated bronze bands listing the names of 30 battles in which soldiers from this County fought. The Memorial Room is constructed of rough finished, light gray granite and light brown Amherst sandstone; the esplanade and steps of Medina red sandstone.