Historic Catasauqua Preservation Association

Historic Catasauqua Preservation Association Our Mission HCPA was created in 1984 to encourage an appreciation of the historical and architectural heritage of the Borough of Catasauqua
501(c)(3). EIN: 23-2722500

Welcome! HCPA traces its beginnings to 1983 when a small group of residents banded together to prepare applications for the establishment of two national historic districts in the Borough of Catasauqua (Lehigh County, Pennsylvania); the Biery's Port Historic District and the Mansion District. Since then, HCPA has worked to revive and maintain the towpath along the canal thru Catasauqua and has preserved The Biery House at 8 Race St, its Summer Kitchen, and the Deily Coal Yard, Scale House and Mule Barn – all between Union and Race St along the Canal. They have secured 6 of the 7 State Historic Markers in the borough and created an art gallery and museum at their 8 Race St headquarters featuring the borough’s history and architecture. HCPA remains active as an organizer and volunteer in the community for events such as Fest O’Fall and the recent Old Home Week celebration. In addition, our members enact their passion for historic preservation through biennial home and garden tours that highlight Catasauqua's rich history. HCPA's webpages are hosted by the Borough of Catasauqua; where HCPA creates and maintains the History pages for the borough. Included are Block by Block Walking Tours in addition to links to history resources. You can visit them by appointment or by stopping by 8 Race St the first and third Sundays of each month from May through September. History Located at the center of the Lehigh Valley, Catasauqua is one of the smallest, but most densely populated municipalities in the Valley. Now a quiet residential community, the borough once was home to the Crane Iron Works, the first commercially successful anthracite iron furnace. Its first blast in 1840 marked the beginning of the Industrial Revolution in America. The iron and allied industries brought much wealth to the town; such that by the early 1900s, Catasauqua had the highest concentration of millionaires per capita in the nation. Industry waned after WWI and commerce declined with the introduction of malls in neighboring Whitehall in the 1960s. With the purchase of the old Crane Iron site, the borough is targeting a development of the canal front and revitalization of downtown areas.

Mission: Our Mission HCPA was created to encourage an appreciation of the historical and architectural heritage of the Borough; to encourage the preservation of the architecture in our historic districts and the Borough at large as the houses and buildings are the tangible evidence of the events that made Catasauqua important as a contributor to the growth and development, not only Pennsylvania, but also of the United States; to encourage the preservation of the architectural integrity of our neighborhoods and to foster pride of ownership in the houses and buildings in our historic districts.

01/21/2020

Putting together programs for 2020: dates TBA. Rick Guth will present on George Taylor. We're putting together programs on corner stores, Edison, and Temperance in Catasauqua. Anyone who would like to help (or has info to contribute), please let us know. We'll hold the programs in the Library Auditorium. In April, we'll be presenting our program on the Bryden Horse Shoe Works for Whitehall's WHPS. If you missed the historic marker event 2 years ago, come to the mill in Whitehall 4/29, 7pm, to hear the history of the Bryden - did you know it started next to the Union Foundry at Pine and Railroad?
HCPA will be participating in the street fair in June.and the J4 reunion event.
Our volunteer Pete Ellis has been in the hospital. Get well, Pete!

Serene!
01/07/2020

Serene!

11/29/2019

Our Catty Cat Ts will be available for purchase on Shop Local Saturday at the Melvin Farm Market bldg (between Blondies and the Gas House Dance Hall) 8am - 3pm.

Saturday Dec 7th, 11am @ 8 Race St.  2nd annual "Paint a Cookie Plate for Santa".
11/23/2019

Saturday Dec 7th, 11am @ 8 Race St. 2nd annual "Paint a Cookie Plate for Santa".

Anyone recognize these men?  Shared from Lehigh Valley History page.A late 1800s cabinet photo of three well-dressed men...
11/20/2019

Anyone recognize these men? Shared from Lehigh Valley History page.

A late 1800s cabinet photo of three well-dressed men. The photo was taken by Cornelius F. Roth, his studio at the corner of Second and Bridge Streets of Catasauqua, PA.

A late 1800s cabinet photo of three well-dressed men. The photo was taken by Cornelius F. Roth, his studio at the corner of Second and Bridge Streets of Catasauqua, PA.

West side of Second & Pine.  Sanborn map section is from 1885.  Note the two homes, one on the north side, one on the so...
11/12/2019

West side of Second & Pine. Sanborn map section is from 1885. Note the two homes, one on the north side, one on the south side - neither currently standing. The home on the norrth was the home of John & Hester Hudders, both teachers; John also was a freight agent for the LVRR. After their death, Oliver Williams bought the lot and expanded his garden. The home on the SW corner was that of William Michel, a carriage maker. He also was part owner of the Union Foundry with David Thomas from 1850-1869. He sold his 3-story brick home and lot (which included the Union Foundry Pattern Shop) to Chas. Schneller in 1879. Schneller built the row homes there in 1909. Schneller owned the buildings on the 500 block of Front St below Strawberry, which included his hardware business.

Happy Birthday, David Thomas.  Born in 1794.  Father of Catasauqua.  Father of the Anthracite Iron Industry.
11/03/2019

Happy Birthday, David Thomas. Born in 1794. Father of Catasauqua. Father of the Anthracite Iron Industry.

Thanks for enjoying them.
10/26/2019

Thanks for enjoying them.

Had a lunch meeting at our favorite Catty hot spot Catty Corner Neighborhood Pub & Pie, DELICIOUS as always. We are ready for this weekend at D.H. Productions DJ's At Seiple Farms Pumpkin Patch! & Petersville Rod & Gun Club Halloween Dinner Dance.

We wanted to give a shout out to the person in CATASAUQUA who came up with this idea pictured below, there are tons of them & I wish I could have taken a pic them all. Many creative ones, take a drive thru Catty, fantastic job!

Happy Halloween, Hope you'll join us this weekend!

Catasauqua Cement Co, founded in 1888.  Located in Coplay, near Whitehall Stn along LVRR, south of Cementon.  Went Bankr...
10/22/2019

Catasauqua Cement Co, founded in 1888. Located in Coplay, near Whitehall Stn along LVRR, south of Cementon. Went Bankrupt 1890. Then became Catasauqua Hercules Cement. Large loss for Catty industrialist investors (list from 1901) Demolished in 1904.

Crane Iron history from 1900 article on Empire Steel & Iron Cohttps://himedo.net/TheHopkinThomasProject/CoalFireIronStee...
10/20/2019
Empire Steel and Iron Co

Crane Iron history from 1900 article on Empire Steel & Iron Co
https://himedo.net/TheHopkinThomasProject/CoalFireIronSteel/Appendices/CatasauquaIndustryResidences/CatasauquaIndustries/CraneIronWorks/CraneIronGreaterAmerica.htm

The Empire Steel & Iron Co. was incorporated in April, 1899, under the laws of New Jersey, with authorized capital of $5,000,600, of which $4,6oo,ooo has been issued. The purpose of the organization was to make foundry, Bessemer, and forge pig iron.

10/10/2019
Find Us

Horner's Cemetery Historical Society will be holding their annual Open House this Saturday, October 12 from 1 PM to 4 PM. There will be tours running continuously.

The cemetery is located 4955 Nor-Bath Blvd, near Northampton. It is located behind God's Missionary Church, just east of the East Allen Ambulance facility.

Here is a link to the Web site, which has a map: http://www.hornerscemetery.org/horners/?page_id=46

Hope to see you there!

Find Us Horner’s Cemetery is located behind God’s Missionary Church at 4955 Nor-Bath Blvd, Northampton PA 18067. The coordinates are: 40.7000 N, 75.4509 W. Please park in the church parking area, and you may walk back the lane to the cemetery. Please use the map below for a better look, or to ge...

10/07/2019

Saturday was a great fall day for Fest O'Fall in Catasauqua! Hope everyone had a good time. Thanks to all who came out for the fun and games, crafts, food, music, and history. Thanks to all the volunteers who helped at all the sites, and a special thanks to the students from the CASD National Honor Society who volunteered to help with the events. Hope you enjoyed yourself as much as we enjoyed having you there!

Lehigh Valley History
10/07/2019

Lehigh Valley History

The Lehigh Valley Railroad station, along the Lehigh River, in West Catasauqua, PA, near the Pine Street bridge. This postcard was mailed in 1911. Thank you to those who offered corrections to a previous caption!

09/19/2019

Needed: newspapers and bubblewrap for stuffing scarecrows on Oct 5th. Please drop off at 326 Bridge or at Mule Barn off Union St, behind 8 Race St. THANKS

Historic Catasauqua Preservation Association
09/18/2019

Historic Catasauqua Preservation Association

09/18/2019
09/16/2019

On Sept 28th, Lower Macungie Library is offerring "Genealogy 101" from 10am to 4pm, with a focus on using Ancestry.com. Mary Ellen Heckman to share her knowledge as librarian and genealogist.

09/15/2019

Sunday, Sept 15, is the last scheduled 1-4 PM open house at 8 Race St this year. Stop by for a visit to the museum and gallery. Of course, the Biery House will also be open Oct 5th during Fest O' Fall.

100 yrs ago today.  Post WW1, communities bring back baseball.  Catty starts with a town league of four teams, local pla...
09/13/2019

100 yrs ago today. Post WW1, communities bring back baseball. Catty starts with a town league of four teams, local players with an occasional ringer, calling themselves the Million Dollar League, playing off the fame of selling $1million+ in war bonds. The Majestic Theater goes for a more competitive team, bringing in talent. Having built up a following and their own baseball field, they move to a single team in 1922. There are some rocky times - when those wanting to see local talent playing are at odds with those wanting to get the best players and win championships. The new Catasauqua A. A.s go through many managerrs and club officers as they try to work through it, while staying solvent. In 1928, a rising East End team replaces the CAA as Catasauqua's team in the LV Semi-Pro League playing out of Clearview Field, which it shared with local teams within the borough. In 1930, during a disappointing season for the East End team, the Cardinals replaced them in the LV league. (to be cont'd)

09/09/2019

FEST O" FALL coming OCT 5th
Flyer TBA

Weisenberg/Lowhill Township Historical Society
09/08/2019

Weisenberg/Lowhill Township Historical Society

Come to the Festival next weekend - September 14 and 15, noon to 6 PM each day to see some of our new donations. Thanks to Charlie & Dee Fenstermaker for donating this wonderful Real Apollo stove that his grandparents Raymond & Verdie Fister purchased from local dealer C. F. Sycher. It will be on display in our Display Shed behind the Food Court. Hope to see you here!

09/04/2019

Can you help with Fest O'Fall on Oct 5th? Organize a Pet Parade? Run a game? Help families make scarecrows? Help us get rid of spotted lantern flies before hand? Let us know!

08/29/2019

1st Sunday of September - Open House at 8 Race. 1-4pm

Pencil dwg of the Crane - in Library History Room.  Note pig iron stockpiled along river waiting for market.
08/23/2019

Pencil dwg of the Crane - in Library History Room. Note pig iron stockpiled along river waiting for market.

SE corner of Front and Church, 1919.  T&D Auto stands on the site of the original Iron Masters house, shown on the left....
08/21/2019

SE corner of Front and Church, 1919. T&D Auto stands on the site of the original Iron Masters house, shown on the left. It was built for the David Thomas family c 1840. After the Thomas' moved to 2nd and Pine in the 1850s, Emma and John Williams, cashier/bookeeper for the Crane for almost 50 years, lived here. (In 1870, the Williams built a home at 325 Bridge St (razed by the Fullers in the 1930s)). The 1913 Sanborn map identifies this as an Hungarian boarding house.
Note the small building to the right that still stands. Built originally to store hose used to fight fires, it became a barber shop. Anyone know when it ceased being a barbershop? The pic was cropped from a photo taken during the Crane Iron WWI upgrades.

08/16/2019

Open House at 8 Race St this Sunday, Aug 18th, from 1-4. Geo Taylor House will also be open for tours this Sunday.

WEEDS
08/16/2019

WEEDS

Weeds - 1881

08/05/2019
CATASAUQUA

CATASAUQUA

Tonight at the Borough Council meeting, the Mayor will honor Martha Capwell for 60 years with the Catasauqua Garden Club - and the garden club for its 60 year anniversary in the community.

Lehigh Valley History
07/29/2019

Lehigh Valley History

On the night of April 13, 1982, a fire destroyed the Jackson-Allen Corp. A mansion nearby was in danger as well, in the upper left on this photo. It was the home of George Taylor, the Lehigh Valley's only signer of the Declaration of Independence. The house was saved and continues to be a museum today. Catasauqua, PA

Race Street Bridge, between Pineapple Street and 10th Street, to close this weekend - IN BOTH DIRECTIONS - for sewer rep...
07/26/2019

Race Street Bridge, between Pineapple Street and 10th Street, to close this weekend - IN BOTH DIRECTIONS - for sewer repairs in Catasauqua Borough. This bridge repair is aimed at eliminating Catasauqua Creek flow restrictions which have contributed to flooding in the area at least as far back as the 1860s. Attached is a flood report from July 1879. (Let me know if its not legible, after downlooading.)

Found this pic on ancestry.com of the home that preceeded 326 Bridge, built by CD Fuller, brother to James W Fuller, Sr....
07/24/2019

Found this pic on ancestry.com of the home that preceeded 326 Bridge, built by CD Fuller, brother to James W Fuller, Sr. Pictured are the Fuller and Ulrich families in the summer of1898, 1.5 yrs after the death of Harriet (CD's wife) and Marion Louise Fuller, youngest daughter. They were mother and sister to Chauncey, Charles D (Jr), George (deceased), Irene (Mrs AN Ulrich), and Dr H C Fuller, pictured. Picture taken on the porch of the CD & Harriet Fuller home, located on north side of Bridge between Crane and 4th (now the site of 326 Bridge). CD Fuller died in 1873.
The Ulrich family home was on Bridge St below Crane. The families were united by the marriage of Irene Fuller to Alexander N Ulrich, teacher, principal, and lawyer.
Back row: Chauncey Orlando Fuller , Alexander N Ulrich, Charles Dorrance Fuller
Middle row: Mrs. George Fuller, Mrs A N Ulrich, Mrs James W Fuller and Lucille Fuller.
Front row: Dr H C Fuller, Charles N Ulrich, Chauncey Fuller Jr, James W Fuller Taken on front porch of Charles D Fuller. From Charles N Ulrich collection
Picture and info from Charles N Ulrich page, ancestry.com

07/14/2019

Open House Sunday July 14th at 8 Race St from 1-4pm. Free

07/08/2019

To those who may have stopped by 8 Race St today, Sunday July 7th, we apologize for any inconvenience. We had no volunteers to cover the open house this afternoon.

06/27/2019

Reading of the Declaration of Independence coming up July 4th at the GTH. 8 Race will be open afterward for visitors, so stop by. And on July 6th, The Biery House "Tavern" will be open for Pub Crawl. Come reenact - 8 Race started its history as a tavern for travelers crossing the river at Biery's Port going from Allen's Town to the Craig Settlement and points north.

Is there a cannon expert in town?  Got this Qx regarding the cannons at Fairview Cemetery from Don Barker at livinghisto...
06/25/2019

Is there a cannon expert in town? Got this Qx regarding the cannons at Fairview Cemetery from Don Barker at livinghistoryregistry.com.

“The Big Guns” reference shows only one M1829 being ordered by the Government, serial number 313. We have no references showing its location. It is a M1829 32-pdr Seacoast gun that was reamed to a smaller bore size when cast. The gun would thereby be much larger (8000 pounds) than the M1819 (6000 pounds) but having the same bore size.

“The Big Guns” shows two M1819 cannon in the cemetery, both cast by Columbia foundry in 1829. Our thoughts on the newspaper article is that it took that data and reported it as a M1819 and a M1829.

Do you have anybody with archaic cannon knowledge that would be able to verify it for us? I guess the easiest thing to do is to look at them and see if there is a noticeable difference. If you could, maybe the best way is to get photos for us (cell phone fine) and we could make the determination. The dates should be stamped into the trunnion ends, but they may be unreadable due to multiple layers of paint.
Any help is appreciated.

Lehigh Valley History
06/25/2019

Lehigh Valley History

During the mid-1800s, the Thomas Iron Company became the biggest anthracite iron producer in the U.S. Besides their Hokendauqua plant, the company included the Lock Ridge furnace at Alburtis in 1869, the Keystone Furnace, near Easton, in 1882 and the Saucon Iron Works at Hellertown in 1884. M. A. Kleckner stereo view of iron works.

06/24/2019

Thanks everyone for another successful Historic House and Garden Tour. Thanks to the owners who opened their homes, to the volunteers who assisted at all the sites on the tour, and to those who supported the event by purchasing tickets and being so gracious to the homeowners. A special thankyou to Herve for sharing the Dery Mansion with the community.

06/19/2019

Advanced tickets ($17) for the 2019 tour on June 23rd can be purchased online, at Hartzells, at Blockers Coffee Shop through 5pm Saturday. They can also be purchased Wedn nite at Tony's TopCat and Friday nite at the concert in the park. Tickets are $20 the day of the tour at 8 Race St.

06/15/2019

Catty is starting a summer program for teens. There are 4 "camps", including a week on local history. HCPA will be doing the History Week. It is the first week of July. Free. Teens will get to research a home or topic of their choice and the results will be posted here and on the Catty history pages. Sign up Monday morning, June 17th, at 9am at the park.
The other programs are painting a mural at the park, a gardening week, and a computer gaming week at the school.

06/08/2019
06/04/2019

The Borough of Catasauqua is sponsoring Teen Summer Programs - for the tweens and teens who have out grown Lisa and Kim's summer park activities. 8 weeks of activities are planned beginning with a mural project the last 2 weeks of June, followed by a History Project the first week of July, a gardening week the second week in July and computer labs the last 2 weeks in July. HCPA's Deb Mellish will be leading History week the first week of July. Ck back for details.

06/01/2019

Open House Sunday at 8 Race. Come visit the museum, gallery and chat about history. 1-4PM

Lehigh Valley History
05/31/2019

Lehigh Valley History

In 1953, the new Pine Street Bridge was completed. It connected Catasauqua to West Catasauqua and spans the Lehigh River and the former railroad tracks of the Central, Lehigh Valley and Lehigh & New England lines.

Address

8 Race St
Catasauqua, PA
18032

Alerts

Be the first to know and let us send you an email when Historic Catasauqua Preservation Association posts news and promotions. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at any time.

Category

Our Story

Welcome! See Catasauqua’s History at http://www.history.catasauqua.org/ HCPA traces its beginnings to 1983 when a small group of residents banded together to prepare applications for the establishment of two national historic districts in the Borough of Catasauqua (Lehigh County, Pennsylvania); the Biery's Port Historic District and the Mansion District. Since then, HCPA has worked to revive and maintain the towpath along the canal thru Catasauqua and has preserved The Biery House at 8 Race St, its Summer Kitchen, and the Deily Coal Yard, Scale House and Mule Barn – all between Union and Race St along the Canal. They have secured 6 of the 7 State Historic Markers in the borough and created an art gallery and museum at their 8 Race St headquarters featuring the borough’s history and architecture. HCPA remains active as an organizer and volunteer in the community for events such as Fest O’Fall and the recent Old Home Week celebration. In addition, our members enact their passion for historic preservation through biennial home and garden tours that highlight Catasauqua's rich history. HCPA's webpages are hosted by the Borough of Catasauqua; where HCPA creates and maintains the History pages for the borough. Included are Block by Block Walking Tours in addition to links to history resources. You can visit them by appointment or by stopping by 8 Race St the first and third Sundays of each month from May through September. History Located at the center of the Lehigh Valley, Catasauqua is one of the smallest, but most densely populated municipalities in the Valley. Now a quiet residential community, the borough once was home to the Crane Iron Works, the first commercially successful anthracite iron furnace. Its first blast in 1840 marked the beginning of the Industrial Revolution in America. The iron and allied industries brought much wealth to the town; such that by the early 1900s, Catasauqua had the highest concentration of millionaires per capita in the nation. Industry waned after WWI and commerce declined with the introduction of malls in neighboring Whitehall in the 1960s. With the purchase of the old Crane Iron site, the borough is targeting a development of the canal front and revitalization of downtown areas.

Nearby museums


Other History Museums in Catasauqua

Show All

Comments

I am looking for information on the old Mauser and Cressman flour mill formerly located on Race Street. I'm trying to pin down when the mill ceased to exist, and I’m also trying to find a photograph of the building for my research on the Mauser Company.
My daughter is in love with the pumpkin bread that we purchased from the bake sale. Would the person who made this be willing to share their recipe for this? We also really enjoyed the chocolate banana bread as well.
Location: West Catasauqua; Slatington; Whitehall; Hokendauqua; schnecksville; Allentown Surnames: PFAFF; ROCKEL; MILHEIM Industry: Unicorn Silk Mill FIRE!!! HEADLINE NEWS . . . “At 6:15 am, Thursday, 24 April 1890 the alarm was sounded . . . “many wounded” “A neighbor on Second Street said he saw the smoke issuing from the drying room at an earlier hour, but thought it nothing unusual . . . “ “The destruction of the Unicorn Silk Mill, the loss of of five lives and wounding many citizens will be long remembered by the peoples of Catasauqua with sadness and regret.” “The funeral of George Paff, one of the victims of the Catasauqua fire, took place Wednesday afternoon . . .”
Lehigh MPMS #:57433 Title:Lehigh Race St Intersection Improvement Type:Relocation/Realignment Est. Let Date:01/18/2018 Municipality:Catasauqua (Boro) Route:1004 Section:03S Exempt Code: Actual Let Date: A/Q Status:Significant Geographic Limits:Catasauqua Borough, Lehigh County Narrative: This project involves the extension of Second Street (State Route 1004) including a new alignment with a new structure over the Catasauqua Creek and connecting an upgraded intersection with Race Street. Substantial historical resource issues will be present on this project such as the required acquisition of a portion of the historic property associated with the George Taylor House, Catasauqua historic district designation and the Lehigh Canal in the Borough of Catasauqua, Lehigh County. Earmark PA ID#445 SAFETEA-LU $881,298
Casting Iron......
Can the society direct me to where I might find copy / access to the film made back in late 60s / early 70s called Catasauqua: The Million Dollar Town?