08/29/2026
From The Democrat-Argus, January 27, 1977
Community Pride Alive at McCarty
By Charles Brady
McCarty, a small community a few miles southwest of Caruthersville, has been and still is a fine example of a community pulling together. The reorganization of several school districts into McCarty R-3 is one such example. Another is the R-3 Party.
The main road to McCarty is Route D. There's not much there, only a few businesses, the school, and some homes. But the people that make up the McCarty community can take special pride in their two major accomplishment of school reorganization and the party, which is an annual event that has been held for many years. People and businesses donate all types of items for the auction and the money raised goes to several causes. Hundreds of people attend this party and a good time is had by all. In addition to the auction, there are country stores, games, and a supper for those in attendance.
The party, a tribute to the people of the McCarty community who make sure it is held each year, is appropriately held in the school. The school itself is a tribute to the community.
At one time there were a total of 31 school districts in Pemiscot County. Now, of course, there are seven. But in 1948, there were 31, including 21 rural districts, nine consolidated districts, plus the Caruthersville district.
Because of the large number of districts, students just were not able to enjoy the best in educational facilities. School personnel did the best they could with what they had but the school facilities were mostly frame buildings that were just not very good.
Ten of the schools that existed in 1948 before the reorganization in 1952 were Canady Switch School, Chute 16 School, McCarty School, Chapel School, Kinfolks Ridge School, Hunter School, Cottonwood Point School, and Mound School. Two schools for Black students were another Mound School and another Chute 16 school.
Students attending the eleven school then went to just one school, McCarty R-3, after the reorganization. So instead of eleven school and eight school districts in the rural county, there is now one school district and one school.
At the time of the reorganization, there were between 600-700 students divided between the eleven schools. At the time of this writing McCarty R-3 had 274 students.
Education has certainly been improved as a result of the reorganization. At one time there were 19 teachers employed at the eleven schools. Now there are 17 teachers and one school.
One of the first projects after the reorganization in 1951 was getting a new building. In 1955, a bond issue in the amount of $150,000 was let and the present building was constructed in 1955-1956. The bonds were finally paid off in 1976.
The McCarty community continued to support the school by passing a bond issue totaling $129,000 in 1957. This was for an expansion program.
Charles Johnson was the first principal and superintendent of the reorganized district. Floyd Hamlett succeeded him and served as superintendent for 15 years before retiring in 1973. Other former Principals at McCarty were Elzie Danley, a Caruthersville High School graduate who became a professor at Memphis State University, Tom Moore, Lonnie Daughtry, and Paul Brackens.
Commenting about his time at McCarty, Hamlett said the high point was "the ease of integration as accepted by the students, teachers, and administration. It was easy because of the community's attitude toward integration." He said other high points were the benefits from the Title I program and the development of a fine facility ad staff at McCarty.
Some teachers at McCarty in 1977 were employed from the very beginning, the days of the reorganization: Mrs. Ruth Carson, Miss Lugene Clifford, Mrs. Jean Saliba, Mrs. Martha Thompson, and Mrs. Agatha Travis, lunchroom supervisor.