Canton Area Heritage Center

Canton Area Heritage Center The Canton Area Heritage Center will collect, preserve, research, interpret and exhibit historical artifacts of Canton, Illinois and the surrounding area.

Time Capsule Spotlight:  Graham Hospital and the Graham Hospital School of NursingThe artifacts and the history of Graha...
06/15/2026

Time Capsule Spotlight: Graham Hospital and the Graham Hospital School of Nursing

The artifacts and the history of Graham Hospital were particularly interesting to museum board member Kathy Myers so she selected those to spotlight. Kathy’s mother Lorene Myers and her sister Linda Myers Brown both had careers spanning over 30 years at Graham Hospital. Linda graduated from the Graham Hospital School of Nursing, and Kathy and her brother Butch both worked at the hospital in the summers to earn money for college.

In 1925 when the Canton Centennial was celebrated and artifacts were placed in the time capsule, Graham Hospital was only 16 years old. However, the need for medical care and a hospital went back even further. The first hospital established in Canton in 1890 was known as the Altruistic Hospital. It was located on the southeast corner of South Main and Maple in the G.B. Vittum residence. The Altruistic Society of Canton provided the medical equipment used there. That hospital continued until approximately 1900. A second city hospital was established at the Cooper property on South Second Avenue, across from South Park, that was leased and staff was hired. In 1903 a local typhoid epidemic was so large that the existing hospital at the Cooper residence on South Second Ave. was filled to capacity and many patients had to be housed in temporary tents. It was this typhoid catastrophe that provided the impetus for a fundraising drive for a larger, more permanent hospital.
In 1904 the Fulton County Medical Association, Canton city officials, and the Altruistic Club of Canton began working together to establish a permanent city hospital to replace two earlier facilities which had been housed in private residences. Although Alice and Caroline Graham had moved to Washington, D.C. from their home in Canton, they gifted the city with funds for a hospital in memory of their parents, John and Lydia Graham. They temporarily returned to Canton to oversee that project. Construction bids were accepted in 1907. The Cornerstone was laid in 1908. The original Italian Renaissance style building included 18-25 beds, an office, a children’s ward, a surgical room and solarium, along with housing for nurses and nursing students. Graham Hospital and Graham Hospital School of Nursing were opened in October 4, 1909.
The first two years were rocky, as the majority of patients admitted were terminal when they entered, resulting in the relatively rapid resignations of the first two administrators. During those two years, the Graham sisters continued to support the hospital, but in 1912, the hospital was reorganized and chartered as a non-profit organization. One board member was chosen from each of the following churches: Methodist, Episcopal, Baptist, Congregational, Presbyterian, and Christian, along with a member from the following lodges: Morning Star Lodge, A.F. and A.M. Olive Branch Lodge, Odd Fellows, Bohemond Lodge, and Knights of Pythian. Miss Alice Graham also served as a board member. A bequest from Joseph L. Murphy in 1907, provided for an additional $40,000 for the construction of the hospital. After a bitterly contested legal battle with his family, the Murphy Memorial Unit was completed in 1925. In 1916, a generous gift from Chicagoan Mrs. Samuel Allerton provided for the purchase of a residence across the street from the hospital named the Nurses Home, to house nurses and nursing students, allowing for additional patient beds in the hospital. Due to the need for isolation during the 1918 Spanish influenza pandemic, patients were housed in the Central Grammar School. All public events were suspended during this time. At the time of her death, Alice Graham provided additional funding through a trust she had created to continue upkeep of the hospital, the School of Nursing, and to provide for a new Nurses Home and its upkeep. As the number of patients increased, so did additions to the hospital. Fundraising began in 1955 for a new East Wing to provide for more beds, a pharmacy and gift shop. A 1964 fundraising campaign provided for an extended care unit and additional space for the School of Nursing. The School of Nursing’s mission was to provide staffing for the new hospital. Originally, the nursing students were educated by the physicians, as well as working long hours with strict supervision providing personal patient care, preparing patient meals, cleaning patient rooms and performing some routine laboratory analysis. As one graduate from the 1930’s quipped, “All we had were Lysol and morphine to take care of our patients.” The first class of Graham Hospital School of Nursing students graduated in 1913 and included Mrs. Signa C. (Axcell) Thomas who later became the Superintendent of the hospital in 1933 and remained so until 1959. When she died in 1965, she left her entire estate to Graham Hospital. The School was approved by the IL Department of Registration and Education in 1923 as a three-year diploma program and accredited by the National League for Nursing in 1968. The name of the School changed from Training School for Nurses to Graham Hospital School of Nursing to reflect the current recognition that nurses were not “trained”, but educated. The School has now received accreditation as a four year Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree granting program. Thousands of nurses have received their training through the school, serving communities throughout Illinois and beyond.
From a single building with a capacity of 25 beds, Graham Hospital is now Graham Health System operating in five counties (Fulton, Mason, Knox, McDonough, and Peoria) with 12 clinic locations continuing the commitment of the Graham sisters and those who came before.
Among the items submitted to the 1925 time capsule are a letter from T.T. Smith, Secretary of the Hospital Board of Directors and a catalogue from the 1916 “Training School for Nurses” that includes photographs of the hospital, lists of board members and students, interesting statistics about the operation of the hospital, and so much more.
In his letter dated Sept 21, 1925 T.T. Smith related the following:
“Supplementing the information contained in the enclosed 1916 Year Book of the Graham Hospital, the enclosed 1925 photograph of the Building and the following data is submitted.
The building is 40 feet deep, 90 feet front, three stories and basement and is situated at Nos. 210 to 220 West Walnut Street, Canton. The walls are of a light colored fire clay brick, roof of tar and gravel, interior construction of wood. The site between Walnut and Maple streets has the approximate dimensions of 180 x 260 feet and cost with building about $40,000. The basement of the building consists of Kitchens, Dining room, Laundry, Drying room, Stock, rooms, Boiler room, and three maid’s room. First floor consists of office, Reception room, Sun Parlor, Superintendent’s room, Linen room and seven patient rooms. Second floor, Nursery, General Ward, and Nine Patients rooms. Third floor, Two operating, Sterilizing, Dressing, and Service rooms, and Diet Kitchen. The site and the building constructed and equipped (with the exception of a few rooms, see 1916 Year Book) by Caroline J. Graham and Alice L. Graham, daughters of John Gleason Graham, one of the founders of the City of Canton.”

The 1916 “Training School for Nurses” Year Book contains statistics and photos of many of the rooms of the hospital and nurses quarters. The Statistical Report on page fifteen lists the following:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1915 1916
Number of patients received during the year 347 457
Number of deaths during year 20 16
Per cent of deaths to patients received 5.7 3.5
Number of deaths with 48 hours after admitted 7 7
Per cent of deaths after deducint 3.8 2.4
Number of operations performed 315 453
Number of patients operated on 236 323
Number of days treatment given 4476 ` 5115
Greatest number of days any patient in Hospital 320 129
Average number in hospital per day 12 14
Average cost to Hospital per day 2.15 2.33
Average days stay of patient 13 11
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These selections from T.T. Smiths’s letter and the statistics and photos from the 1916 Year Book are just sampling of the documents submitted by Graham Hospital on display from the time capsule. Included are photos of the Graham sisters as well as selected photos from the 1916 Year book illustrating the operating rooms, patient rooms, and nurses’ rooms. The pages of statistics about the illnesses treated and operations performed are fascinating!

Like Kathy, maybe many of you, our members and followers, may have a connection to the Graham Hospital artifacts preserved in the 1925 time capsule.

Come visit us at the museum and find an interesting connection to your past. We are open Friday 10-12, Saturday 10 -2, Sunday 1-3 or by appointment.

Additional Sources:
Graham Hospital School of Nursing historical collection in the Illinois Digital Archives includes over 2000+ online digital items such as photographs, yearbooks, oral histories, postcards, meeting minutes, capping and graduation programs, newspaper clippings, etc. regarding both Graham Hospital and the School of Nursing history. Access to this collection is available by going to idaillinois.org.

Reflections of Canton in a Pharmacist’s Show Globe: A Comprehensive History of Canton, Illinois and the Important Events in Fulton County by Edward R. Lewis, Jr., 1967

Parlin Ingersoll Library presents The Founding Mothers as we celebrate America's 250th birthday.   Sign up today!
06/10/2026

Parlin Ingersoll Library presents The Founding Mothers as we celebrate America's 250th birthday. Sign up today!

MEMORIAL DAY. “Land of the free because of the brave.” These traditions are ways to remember those who gave their lives ...
05/24/2026

MEMORIAL DAY. “Land of the free because of the brave.” These traditions are ways to remember those who gave their lives for our freedoms.

— National Moment of Remembrance: At 3:00 p.m. local time on Memorial Day, Americans have been asked to pause for an extended moment of silence in a unified expression of gratitude to honor those who died in service to the country.

— Flag Etiquette: The U.S. flag is to be flown at half-staff from sunrise until noon, followed by a full-staff display until sunset.

— Ceremonies & Tributes: Events and wreath-laying ceremonies are held across the country. Join your community’s local observance to honor the servicemen and servicewomen who sacrificed their lives for us.

Time Capsule SpotlightYoung Men's Christian Association (Y.M.C.A.) of Canton. Historical documents, a fundraising campai...
05/18/2026

Time Capsule Spotlight
Young Men's Christian Association (Y.M.C.A.) of Canton.
Historical documents, a fundraising campaign, and lots of photos were placed in the 1925 time capsule. The photos illustrate the Y activities of the time. Below is a letter written by W.E. Lauterbach, General Secretary, and dated September 16, 1925. It includes a list of the Board of Directors and a brief history of Canton's Y.M.C.A.

"To whom it may concern:
The members of the Board of Directors of the Canton Young Men’s Christian Association at present are:
F.C. C***s, Asst. Principal, H.S.
Jesse O. Johnson, International Harvester Co.
W.H. Price, Asst. Farm Bureau Agent
Claude Seaton, teller, First State Bank
J. W. Cluts, Anderson and Cluts Vulcanizing and Tire Co.
C. C. Koulsworth, clerk, J. Newman’s & Sons
S. G. Divilbiss, Dave & Dick Clothiers
H.S. Dutch, Grocer
S.E. Gustine, Farmer and Construction
Relle Lindbloom, clerk, Dave & Dick
Dr. H.T. Miller, President, Y.M.C.A.
G. W. Wilson, cashier, First State Bank
H.L. Freed, C.B.&Q.
H.L. Gillet, with U.G. Orendorff
Frank Nelson, Canton Sash & Door Co.
Dr. P.S. Scheles, past-president
A.C. Shepley, Insurance and Loans

"September 1st Mr. Fergusen left Y.M.C.A. to work for SS. Kresge Co. Mr. Herman “‘Jack’” Spence is coming Oct. 1-1925 as physical director.

"The Y.M.C.A. was organized in Canton in 1889 in rented rooms and had its ups and downs. In 1910 the members met with the purpose of collecting enough money to pay outstanding bills and then discontinue. But a few men like Dr. J.E. Coleman thought it was time to build a Y.M.C.A. building and then Mr. Seaman was asked to become secretary and then a plan for the $50,000. building was launched. About $33,000. was raised. The building was not opened and a "'White Elephant'” Campaign was launched but not sufficient funds were raised. Then the building was opened and another large financial campaign was had in 1916 for $16,000. and in 1920 for $20,000. They were short about $3000. in this last campaign. As will be noted by the enclosed sheet a campaign is to be launched in October of this year to pay all debts and sufficient for running expenses until January 1, 1927. These interested believe this sum will be raised.
“W.E. Lauterbach
General Secretary"

The fundraising was successful as the first photo is of the first YMCA building located at Chestnut and Main (where the Coleman Medical building now stands). Bicyclists also helped advertise Canton's 1925 Centennial by riding to Keokuk and Burlington, IA, with a "Come to the Centennial" placard placed on their backs.

We’ve decided to bring this Time Capsule Spotlight on the YMCA up to date with a few questions directed to Mark Sawyer, its CEO/Executive Director since 2023. And I've learned more about this excellent local resource!

What is unique about the Canton Family YMCA?
The Canton Family YMCA is more than a fitness center—it is a vital community cornerstone dedicated to strengthening the lives of individuals and families across Fulton County. With deep local roots and a strong commitment to accessibility, the Y ensures that no one is turned away due to financial hardship, providing over $150,000 annually in financial assistance to support memberships and programs. Serving thousands of members and participants each year—including over 100 children in afterschool care, more than 140 in swim lessons, 130 in day camp, and over 80 seniors—the Y delivers broad, family-centered programming that meets the evolving needs of the community. Unique offerings like its growing Tumbling and Trampoline complex further set the Y apart, creating specialized opportunities for youth development and competitive training not typically found in a small-town setting. Supported by dedicated volunteers, strong community partnerships, and local donors, the Canton Family YMCA operates as a mission-driven organization that not only meets community needs—but helps build a healthier, more connected future for all.

The Y is a large complex – what’s inside?
The buildings at 1325 East Ash St. house the YMCA’s many opportunities for fitness and sports. The South Building houses the community room, main gym, 10th of a mile indoor track, Olympic Free Weight Room, Life Center Cardio/machine weight room, 25-yard 6 lane pool, whirlpool bath and sauna. The Cowan addition houses the YMCA’s second gym (added in 2006). The North building houses a racquetball court, multi-purpose room, STRIVE Machine weight room, Administration offices, Preschool room, Fitness room, tennis/Pickleball court, and a Tumbling & Trampoline complex.

What initiatives are being undertaken for the future health and enjoyment of Canton-area residents?
The Canton Family YMCA is actively investing in initiatives designed to improve the long-term health, wellness, and overall quality of life for residents throughout the Canton area. These efforts are both facility-driven and program-driven, ensuring impact across all age groups and income levels.
At a strategic level, the Y is working toward enhancing facilities and expanding access to outdoor and indoor spaces by 2030, including improvements to the soccer fields, and long-term building maintenance such as roofing and HVAC upgrades. These investments ensure that residents have safe, modern, and accessible spaces to be active.
From a health and wellness perspective, the Y is focused on expanding programs that directly address community health outcomes, including partnerships with the Fulton County Health Department, schools, and the park district. A key goal is to improve overall wellness and reduce chronic conditions like diabetes, supported by increased fitness programming, youth activity opportunities, and educational resources.

Technology and communication are another major initiative. The implementation of Daxko Engage and the YMCA app will allow for more personalized communication, easier program access, and stronger member engagement —helping residents stay connected and consistent in their wellness journeys.

On the youth development side, the Y continues to grow high-impact programs such as youth sports (soccer, basketball), swim lessons, day camp, and expanding the Tumbling and Trampoline complex with the addition of a 3rd in-ground trampoline, all providing structured, healthy outlets for hundreds of kids. These programs are critical not only for physical health but also for confidence, discipline, and social development.

Finally, the Y remains committed to financial accessibility, ensuring that all these opportunities are available regardless of income through substantial financial assistance and community-supported fundraising efforts.

In short: the Canton Family YMCA is taking a comprehensive approach —combining facility investment, program expansion, community partnerships, and technology—to build a healthier, more active, and more connected Canton for years to come.

Thank you, Mark Sawyer, CEO/Executive Director of our Canton Family YMCA, for your description of the current Y program.

We proudly support this new initiative to highlight our history and have fun things to do in the downtown this summer.
05/11/2026

We proudly support this new initiative to highlight our history and have fun things to do in the downtown this summer.

We extend a heartfelt thank you to The Canton Area Heritage Center for their support of preserving and celebrating the rich heritage of our community.

Through partnerships that value the arts, culture, and preservation of local history, we are able to keep those stories alive for future generations.

Thank you for investing in our community.

Time Capsule SpotlightOrendorff Family ArtifactsThe Orendorff family has played a significant role in Canton’s prosperit...
05/04/2026

Time Capsule Spotlight
Orendorff Family Artifacts

The Orendorff family has played a significant role in Canton’s prosperity, yesterday and today. William J. Orendorff joined his brother-in-law William Parlin in 1850 and became the business manager for Parlin & Orendorff Plow Works Company.

Among the artifacts included in the 1925 Time Capsule are:
• Manufacturer’s News article, Pioneer Manufacturers - No. 19, 1914
• Ulysses Grant (U.G.) Orendorff Sketch of Life History
• U.G. Orendorff Memorial Program
• Brief biography of William J. Orendorff
• Brief biography of John Orendorff, one of first residents of Canton

In "Notable People from the Past," held annually at Greenwood Cemetery in Canton, members of the Orendorff, Parlin and Ingersoll families, have told their stories to those people assembled. At the 2019 Cemetery Walk, following readings by Brooks Carver, co-author of "Legacy-The Story of Three Families" and "On the Corner of Union and Prairie," these nine family members were introduced:
John Orendorff (portrayed by Mike Walters)
William Parlin (portrayed by Larry Eskridge)
Carolyn Orendorff Parlin (portrayed by Andrea Barbknecht)
William J. Orendorff (portrayed by Dave Lewis)
Alice Parlin Ingersoll (portrayed by Nancy Stiglish)
Charles E. Ingersoll (portrayed by Craig Zilly)
Elizabeth Mitchell Ingersoll (portrayed by Carol Davis)
W.P. Ingersoll per Anna Hollandsworth (portrayed by Claudia Moss)
Ulysses Grant Orendorff (portrayed by B.J. Stone)

William J. Orendorff (1829-1897) was the son of John and Margaret Sayle Orendorff who came to Illinois in 1818 and settled near what is now Canton. In 1850 W. J. went into partnership with his sister Caroline’s husband, William Parlin, manufacturing and selling plows. In 1856 W. J. married Mary Rohrer and they had four children. He represented his district, as a Republican, in the General Assembly from 1884 to 1886. W.J. also wrote a book of family history and attempted to get it published. W. J. died in 1897 as a result of an accident with a team of runaway horses.

Ulysses Grant Orendorff (1865-1943), his son, became the Secretary-Treasurer of Parlin & Orendorff and remained with the company until it was bought by International Harvester in 1919. He bought the local newspaper in 1911 and named it the Canton Ledger. He was President of the First State Bank & Trust of Canton and the president of the Board of the Canton Park District. He married Daise Baughman in 1896.

Giving back was important to the Orendorffs. The Orendorffs, along with the Ingersolls, saw needs in the Canton community and set up trusts and foundations to support many projects throughout this city. An end-of-year gift list was recorded in a Canton Daily Ledger article, dated December 29, 1923.

Canton School Christmas tree, $100
BPO Elks charity fund, $100
Salvation Army general fund, $100
Canton Altruistic Club, $100
Canton High School band, $100
Y.W. C.A. general fund, $250
Mary Orendorff Memorial, thru Women’s Missionary Society of the First Methodist Church, $500
Y.M.C.A. Orendorff trust fund, $2500
Canton High School Orendorff trust fund, $2500
Orendorff Cemetery trust fund, $2500

Five buildings still standing in Canton are attributed to the Orendorff family -- the Orendorff building on the west side of Canton’s Square; Redcrest, the Orendorff mansion; St. Mary’s Parish House; the Carrollton Arms apartment building; and a residence. We’ll describe two of the buildings here.

ORENDORFF BUILDING
82 North Main Street
In 1879, a fire destroyed a large part of the north half of the west side of the square. The Orendorff building was constructed on part of the burned-out area in 1887. The face of the building was covered with terracotta tile. That was a choice material for that era but was expensive. The beauty of the building is still evident. Henry Orendorff was the brother of William Orendorff and a brother-in-law of William Parlin, developers of the Parlin and Orendorff (P&O) Plow Works. In his store Henry sold the farm equipment made at P&O.

REDCREST MANSION
345 West Elm Street
The Orendorff house was built in 1902 by Ulysses Grant (U.G.) Orendorff, the son of Parlin & Orendorff co-founder W. J. Orendorff; the home is commonly known as “Redcrest.” Architect Robert C. Spencer of Chicago designed the house; Spencer was an apprentice of Frank Lloyd Wright and an early figure in the Prairie School, and the house represents Spencer's shift toward the Prairie School aesthetic from his earlier Tudor style works. Two large gables on the front of the house are decorated with a wooden grid with rows of windows and geometric patterns; while the design resembles half-timbering on its face, it embodies the horizontal emphasis that became a key feature of the Prairie School.

What will you find at Canton’s museum from the Parlin-Orendorff Plow Works legacy? Artifacts include the items previously listed in the 1925 time capsule, as well as photographs, dealer magazines, trade fair programs and lots of dealer paraphernalia distributed at conferences, points of sale, and other events. You'll find a P & O Band hat and a horse blanket emblazoned with P & O Plow Works. Continuing with the IH-Canton Plant, we have a scale model of the plant itself which encompassed 53 buildings and 34+ acres. At its apex, the Canton Plant employed 2,700 people. Another unique historical piece is “Little Toot” which was originally a backup to the “Big Toot” whistle, marking times of the workday.

Facts we are proud to share with our visitors:
• --In late 1800s, William Parlin invented a curved plow head that successfully moved the soil over and away from the plow.
• --He and his brother-in-law William J. Orendorff created the Parlin & Orendorff Plow Works Company which grew to include both national and international dealerships.
• --By the early 20th century, Parlin & Orendorff claimed to be "The largest and oldest permanently established plow factory on earth," with a full line of moldboard and disc plows, listers, stalk cutters, disc, spike tooth and spade harrows, corn and beet planters and all kinds of cultivators.
• --P & O’s successful designs and the network of dealers attracted the International Harvester Company who wanted to expand their offerings of the latest designs of farm implements. In 1919 International Harvester purchased P & O Plow Works and expanded operations at IH-Canton Works.

To bring us up to date, we met 20 Orendorff descendants who visited last weekend to trace the lives, fortunes and philanthropy of P&O Plow Works owners William and U.G. Orendorff. They spent time in our museum, toured the community and helped paint a mural for the downtown. We wish them well as they return to their homes around the country and hope they'll visit us again.

You are welcome to visit the museum during our regular weekend hours, or you may request a guided tour for groups. Call (309) 647-2242 or email [email protected].

Sources
1925 Time Capsule: “Pioneer Manufacturers – No. 19,” in Manufacturer’s News, February 19, 1914.
Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library, Orendorff Family Collection • Chronicling Illinois and W.J. Orendorff photo. Retrieved April 21, 2026.
Parlin-Ingersoll Public Library, William Parlin - Plow Manufacturer - Parlin-Ingersoll Public Library

Our museum cleaning crew today accomplished tasks in 2 hours, thanks to 13 board members and volunteers from YMCA’s Silv...
04/25/2026

Our museum cleaning crew today accomplished tasks in 2 hours, thanks to 13 board members and volunteers from YMCA’s Silver Sneakers. Thank you, all! We’re ready for visitors and we’re open, 1:00-3:00 pm tomorrow (Sun). Next weekend Fri, 10 am-12 noon, Sat, 10 am-2 pm, and Sun, 1-3 pm.

04/17/2026

NASA’s Northrop Grumman Commercial Resupply Services 24 mission, or Northrop Grumman CRS-24, will deliver approximately 11,000 pounds of science and supplies to the International Space Station. This mission will be the second flight of the Cygnus XL, the larger, more cargo-capable version of the c...

Time Capsule SpotlightThe Pioneer Life of Henry Vanklake AndrewsHenry Vanklake Andrews was born in Dayton, Ohio and move...
04/06/2026

Time Capsule Spotlight
The Pioneer Life of Henry Vanklake Andrews

Henry Vanklake Andrews was born in Dayton, Ohio and moved to Illinois when he was about 5 years old. He and his parents first settled on Farm creek across the river from Peoria and later moved to the well-known Fort Clark in Peoria. When his father died, he moved in with his sister and brother-in-law Colonel Barnes. They lived on what was then known as the Old John Lane Farm in Section 21. Back in these days homes were just log cabins with dirt floors, clap board ceiling, and a pounded clay fireplace. Neighbors were few but kind. The settlers of this age were the minority compared the local Native Americans, the Kickapoo and the Pottawattamie. In an interview with the Journal in Peoria, Henry explained that they mingled freely with the Natives and he was even conversational in their languages.

Almost all merchandise of the day came from St. Louis. Every year a few men would make the two-month long journey there and back, either by boat down the Illinois River or by team and wagon. There they would barter with Canton goods.

Schooling was only a few months of the year in the winter. In the early days, kids would walk miles to the little wood cabin school that was taught by the first schoolmaster in Fulton County, Hugh R. Colter. Henry later attended the first Canton school. Children helped with family work during the rest of the year. He had made friends with boys from Lewistown and would walk all the way to their homes to play during the day and walk all the way back at night.

Some of his best memories were from corn husking events and the first wedding that took place in Canton. As told by Ms. Elizabeth Andrews Randolph, corn husking events were "gala events... followed by a bounteous meal and a dance." The first wedding in Canton was of Theodore Sargent and Rachel Brown on November 5, 1824. Colonel Barnes, who was the county commissioner, performed the ceremony.

Life was not always easy. In early 1832 Canton's settlers were alarmed by the news of Native American raids of forts around Illinois. Henry, as well as other Canton citizens, enlisted in the Black Hawk War. In 1835 The Storm hit Canton. Henry and his family held the doors and windows while the tornado tore through town killing five people, including the founder, Isaac Swan. When the worst was over, Henry still had to go outside in the lightning and thunder to get more firewood.

In 1840, when Henry married his Sarah Shane, they continued to live on his sister's farm for 7 years. Then, in 1847, he purchased his own farm of 160 acres from the government for $5.00 an acre. Together they created a home and had 10 children. Henry joined the first Baptist Church in Canton and was a deacon. After a long impressive life he passed away at home in 1902 surrounded by his children.

Read more stories about this settler of Canton written by his daughter at the Canton Area Heritage Center. We are learning so much about Canton from our time capsule items. Come join the fun!

Time Capsule SpotlightColonel Burnett Mitchell Chiperfield was 1925 Centennial Chairman. He had an illustrious career as...
03/16/2026

Time Capsule Spotlight
Colonel Burnett Mitchell Chiperfield was 1925 Centennial Chairman. He had an illustrious career as attorney and politician and was a WWI veteran. Here's more about his life as we focus on a biography prepared for his candidacy for U.S. Senator. The campaign piece and photos were included in the 1925 Time Capsule. He was born in Dover, Bureau County, Illinois (June 14, 1870 – June 24, 1940), died in Canton and was interred at Greenwood Cemetery.

He was a trial lawyer by profession. Elected as City Attorney here, and as State’s Attorney of Fulton County. Chiperfield also served in the Illinois Legislature eight years and was Chairman of the Judiciary Committee.

As described in a piece circulated during his campaign for United States Senate, Chiperfield “was also Chairman of the Submerged and Shore Lands Legislative Committee that did much to preserve the Lake Shore for the people of the Chicago, and the rivers and lakes for the people of Illinois. During his service there, he was interested in labor and humanitarian measures. He was author of the Convict Labor Law, taking convict labor out of competition with free labor. He there handled and advocated much of the mining legislation desired by the United Mine Workers of America. Was the author of the bill creating the Surgical Institution for Crippled Children, and many other measures looking to an improvement of living conditions in the State of Illinois.”

He later suspended his bid for U.S. Senator and entered the Army of the United States at the outbreak of the war in 1917. He served as an assistant to General Crowder where he organized the Army for service with the Central Powers, being stationed in Chicago. “…[H]e asked to be relieved from that duty that he might be sent to an active Division for overseas duty. Was assigned to the 33rd (Illinois) Division and went with that Division to France early in 1918.

“After the Armistice, he was ordered into Germany with the Army of Occupation, being attached to the 3rd Army Corps. He was placed in charge of the Civil Administration of Affairs of the occupied area of Germany across the Rhine. He was also made Superior Judge for that area. Was honorably discharged from the service in the summer of 1919.

”Colonel Chiperfield was given numerous citations for his Army service, receiving them from General Pershing, General George Ball, Jr., and others, and was commended in writing by every General with whom he served. General Pershing awarded him a citation for ‘Exceptionally meritorious and conspicuous service.’ He was also awarded a citation for ‘Gallantry in action against the enemy.’”

Burnett Chiperfield was a member of the American Legion, Post No. 16, and member and Secretary of the Board of Trustees, Western Illinois State Normal School, Macomb, IL, during its construction. His son Robert Bruce Chiperfield was later elected as U. S. Representative.

Colonel Chiperfield was invited to give the Lincoln Memorial Address in Washington D.C., on February 12, 1917, before he was deployed overseas in 1918. The speech was also included in the 1925 Time Capsule. If interested in reading it, you may request a copy of the Lincoln Address, when visiting the museum.

NOTE: Burnett M. Chiperfield was one of Canton's historic leaders portrayed in the "Cemetery Walk Revisited" program during the Bicentennial. There are DVD's available at the museum for $15 plus postage. Email [email protected] or telephone, (309) 647-2242, for more information or to place your order.

Address

111 South Main Street
Canton, IL
61520

Opening Hours

Friday 10am - 12pm
Saturday 10am - 2pm
Sunday 1pm - 3pm

Telephone

+13096472242

Alerts

Be the first to know and let us send you an email when Canton Area Heritage Center posts news and promotions. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at any time.

Share