We’re rounding out #PreservationMonth with this image of the Museum exterior taken earlier today. The house is the biggest object in our collection! Today, our curator, who has been working-from-home, visited the Museum to collect data on the temperature and relative humidity—important environmental information to monitor and manage for the long term preservation of the collection and historic building.
55 Mount Vernon Street and the adjoining row houses (51, 53 and 57) date to 1804 and are attributed to Boston architect Charles Bulfinch (1763-1844). The architecture of 55 Mount Vernon Street is Federal in style with later Greek Revival additions. Throughout the 19th century, many of the earlier Beacon Hill facades were updated with newly fashionable architectural details, such as ornate doorways, mansard roofs, and bay windows. 55 Mount Vernon, however, is the best-preserved of the early rowhouses, retaining much of its original 1804 design. The four-story brick building is one room deep and two rooms wide, divided by a central stairwell. While brick buildings were relatively rare in the 18th century (although occasionally found in urban centers), brick became increasingly popular by 1800 and the Flemish bond pattern of alternating stretchers and headers observed at 55 Mount Vernon Street is a common characteristic of Federal design. Other Federal elements repeated elsewhere in Bulfinch architecture include the painted stringcourse, recessed arches, lintels, and receding fenestrations. The Greek Revival portico was added in the1830s.
#federalarchitecture #beaconhill #flemishbond #bricktownhouse #neoclassicalarchitecture #neoclassical #charlesbulfinch #housemuseum #historichousemuseum #nationalpreservationmonth #museumpreservation