The Swiss settlement in the Bluffton/Pandora area included both Swiss Reformed who settled in the southern part of the area and Swiss Mennonites who settled in the northern part, mostly in Putnam County. The first Swiss Mennonites to settle here were Michael Neuenschwander and his family who migrated to northern Wayne County from the Swiss Jura in 1823 and then built a farm here in 1833 along pres
ent day Bixel Road, not far from the restored Schumacher Farm/Swiss Homestead. Numerous other Swiss Mennonites who moved here from the Wayne County settlement or directly from Switzerland and France soon joined the Neuenschwander family. The growing Swiss Mennonite congregation in this area eventually became focused around the present Ebenezer church, with additional meetinghouses in Pandora (St. A number of other Mennonite churches emerged in the area, either as divisions from the main Swiss congregation (Reformed, 1844; Zion, 1857; Grace, 1904) or as divisions from the divisions (Evangelical, 1884; Missionary, 1898). People who have lived in the historic house since the Schumachers:
Thomas Gray 1832-1836 Purchased land from the State of Ohio
Christian and Barbara Schumacher 1836-1858
Peter and Elizabeth Schumacher 1858-1888
Abraham and Magdalena Schumacher Bixel 1883-1903
Peter A. and Perses Amstutz 1903-1910
Gottlieb and Lena Schwab 1910-1921
Frank and Gertrude Kahle 1921-1947 During these years, Clarence Jones was a tenant for 13 years
Victor F. Maag 1947-1949 During this time, a Kaufman family were tenants
Othmar and Clara Smith 1949-1968
Swiss Community Historical Society 1968-present (The society bought the house and seven acres in 1968, and the barn, outbuildings, and about 4 acres in 2004 from members of the Smith family)