Andover Historical Society - Connecticut

Andover Historical Society - Connecticut Welcome to the page for the Andover Historical Society and Museum of Andover History. A page dedicated to the history and people of Andover Connecticut
(1)

1924 - a wedding party typical of a small rural town in the roaring twenties.  Rachel and Howard made their home on Long...
12/24/2019

1924 - a wedding party typical of a small rural town in the roaring twenties. Rachel and Howard made their home on Long Hill Road and have descendants living in town today.

1941 - Walter Krozel flies into Andover for a visit. He did not fly out. While he was only slightly hurt, the plane did ...
12/11/2019

1941 - Walter Krozel flies into Andover for a visit. He did not fly out. While he was only slightly hurt, the plane did not fare so well. About a year and a half later Walter was severely injured when his B-24 Liberator was plowed into by an RAF bomber while waiting their turn to take-off on a British runway.

The Andover Sportsman's Club has a long history of supporting various causes by holding charity shoots.  During the 80s ...
12/04/2019

The Andover Sportsman's Club has a long history of supporting various causes by holding charity shoots. During the 80s and 90s, ex Gov. William O'Neill, along with other Hartford area celebrities, made appearances at many of those events.

Circa 1903 - the Lindholm residence.  This house still stands today and is located at the corner of Lindholm's Corner Ro...
11/18/2019

Circa 1903 - the Lindholm residence. This house still stands today and is located at the corner of Lindholm's Corner Road and route 87. Here we see Mr. Lindholm and his family posing in front of his farm house. Mr. Lindholm's farm was quite extensive and included lands on both sides of Hop River.

1954 - 8th Grade Class - Andover Elementary School
11/10/2019

1954 - 8th Grade Class - Andover Elementary School

The Town Office Building - During construction and as it looked in the 1970s.
11/03/2019

The Town Office Building - During construction and as it looked in the 1970s.

Circa 1915 - Here we see the F. L Case Paper Company (the paper mill) as it looked in the very early 1900s.  The origina...
10/27/2019

Circa 1915 - Here we see the F. L Case Paper Company (the paper mill) as it looked in the very early 1900s. The original building (seen left-back) was powered by a 24 hp water wheel fed from Case Pond (subject of an earlier post), While that building is completely gone, the newer buildings (on the right), which were steam powered, are incorporated today in the town garage complex on Long Hill Road.

1966 - Back in the 1960s, the Community Club was active and putting on plays for the enjoyment of the town's folk at the...
10/22/2019

1966 - Back in the 1960s, the Community Club was active and putting on plays for the enjoyment of the town's folk at the Old Town Hall on a fairly regular schedule. This photo shows the cast of the play "Pastry Cook and the Pirate." Thanks to the late Al Patch for making the photo available for coping.

1910 - Prior to 1912, the Old Town Hall did not have the dinning room that is present today as can be seen in the pictur...
10/11/2019

1910 - Prior to 1912, the Old Town Hall did not have the dinning room that is present today as can be seen in the picture on the attached invitation. As the town's people felt a dinning room was necessary, numerous fund raisers where held to fund the project. The addition was begun in 1911 and finished the next year.

Circa 1915 - Frank Yeomans (a distant relative) riding his motorcycle East on Main Street (today this is the parking are...
09/26/2019

Circa 1915 - Frank Yeomans (a distant relative) riding his motorcycle East on Main Street (today this is the parking area at the West end of Center Street). He has just crossed the railroad tracks in front of the church, just West of the station. Notice that Route 6 was a dirt road in those days.

June 6, 1976 - Colonial Sunday at the Church
09/06/2019

June 6, 1976 - Colonial Sunday at the Church

1958 - The Church gets an addition
08/26/2019

1958 - The Church gets an addition

July, 1910 - Irish laborers work to reopen the line after the wreak of a freight train east of Andover Depot.  This imag...
08/04/2019

July, 1910 - Irish laborers work to reopen the line after the wreak of a freight train east of Andover Depot. This image was taken just west of where the rail trail crosses Lake Road today. Notice the yoke being used by one of the workers to carry two pails of water. The museum recently had a yoke just like that one donated to the collection. It is on display along with many other interesting items from the era, Stop by the next time the museum is open and have a look.

07/23/2019
Rail Trail Presentation Preview

Rail Trail Presentation Preview -
About two years ago, I did a presentation on the history of the Hop River Linear State Park or Rail Trail. The program included railroad history, what was and is along the line, and a recounting of the efforts that converted the right-of-way into the multi-use trail that we have today. I have taken the 1 hour presentation and made a 3 minute "get an idea of what the presentation is about" video. If that interests you, the full presentation can be seen at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3JFxWDT6cA&t=13s

The "little team" - June, 1949
07/14/2019

The "little team" - June, 1949

To go with the video below, here is a aerial view of the dam, pond and surrounding area taken in 1933.
06/23/2019

To go with the video below, here is a aerial view of the dam, pond and surrounding area taken in 1933.

06/23/2019

Want to know what the dam on Hop River that the Hop River Trail goes over was for? Watch this short video and find out.

A view looking East on Main Street about 1920.  The right bridge abutment holds one end of the covered bridge over Hebro...
06/22/2019

A view looking East on Main Street about 1920. The right bridge abutment holds one end of the covered bridge over Hebron Road today, the other was removed in 1992 as part of a DOT road realignment/safety project. The Baptist Church can be seen in the background which was owned by the town at the time and was being used as a gymnasium. It was taken down in 1932.

06/18/2019

A recent addition to the museum - a stage road mile marker.

Andover has fielded many baseball teams over the years.  This is a team from 1947.
06/15/2019

Andover has fielded many baseball teams over the years. This is a team from 1947.

1950 - Eleanor Roosevelt visited Andover and enjoyed a picnic at the lake.  Miss Miller's camp was at the little stone h...
06/08/2019

1950 - Eleanor Roosevelt visited Andover and enjoyed a picnic at the lake. Miss Miller's camp was at the little stone house on Cider Mill Road.

06/02/2019

Time to showcase another item that can be found at the museum - a circa 1910 crank telephone

1926 - The concrete core of the Andover Lake Dam stands waiting to be encased in earth.
06/01/2019

1926 - The concrete core of the Andover Lake Dam stands waiting to be encased in earth.

A few ads from the 1961 and 1964 RHAM Triangles by businesses that used to flourish in Andover.
05/25/2019

A few ads from the 1961 and 1964 RHAM Triangles by businesses that used to flourish in Andover.

05/19/2019

Now and then I hope to highlight an item from the Museum's collection. I will start with a Camp Fire Girls ceremonial dress that was donated to the museum by Susan Losee. The gown belonged to her mother Editha Birmingham and is from the 19-teens. A sharper version can be seen at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--CcGA7VITo

This house was located on Main Street (now Hebron Rd.) just south of the RR underpass.  It was set afire by an ember fro...
05/18/2019

This house was located on Main Street (now Hebron Rd.) just south of the RR underpass. It was set afire by an ember from a passing train early in the 20th century. This is most likely the family of William Cleveland in front.

1969-1970 6th grade   Mr. Turkington
05/11/2019

1969-1970 6th grade Mr. Turkington

Andover Elementary School addition - 1966
05/04/2019

Andover Elementary School addition - 1966

Andover's Baptist Church.  Built in 1831, this building serviced the local Baptist Society until it was dissolved in 189...
04/26/2019

Andover's Baptist Church. Built in 1831, this building serviced the local Baptist Society until it was dissolved in 1899. Sometime after the dissolution of the Society, the building was sold to the Town of Andover. The pews were removed and basketball hoops installed. After serving for a while as a gymnasium, the building was torn down in 1932. This building was located across main street (Route 6) from the Town Hall (now the Old Town Hall/Museum of Andover History.

Andover's first true ambulance.  A 1965  S&S Cadillac. Purchased used in 1969, this rig served the town until 1976.
04/20/2019

Andover's first true ambulance. A 1965 S&S Cadillac. Purchased used in 1969, this rig served the town until 1976.

Case's Paper Mill - this image shows the old water powered mill building in the rear and the new steam powered mill buil...
04/12/2019

Case's Paper Mill - this image shows the old water powered mill building in the rear and the new steam powered mill building before it. The water powered mill was built in 1889. A large mill pond was created by damming the Hop River. Remains of the dam can be seen on the Hop River nature trail. Some of the latter plant buildings still exist today and serve as the town garage. This image is circa 1920.

04/07/2019

The Andover Historical Society will present a program by town historian Scott Yeomans discussing the involvement of Andover citizens in the Civil War. Through letters, diaries, photographs and other historical documentation, Scott will track a number of Andover soldiers from the time they left town to the end of their service. In addition, he will present other aspects of the wars effect on the town population such as the draft and local efforts to support the soldiers during their service. The program will be held in the Town Office Building Community Room on Saturday, April 27th, beginning at 4pm. The first part of this presentation will be a repeat of the talk given last November. The second part of the talk will be the remainder of the presentation that was not given in November. If you attended the November program and only want to hear the second part of the presentation, please arrive for a 5:15 start.

Andover Lake, when the farmhouse was still present and the "red" barn had not yet been moved to dry land. Late 1930s, ea...
04/06/2019

Andover Lake, when the farmhouse was still present and the "red" barn had not yet been moved to dry land. Late 1930s, early 1940s?

Memorial Day 1978 - anyone recognize any of these majorettes?  The old creamery/hippy house building is on the right.
03/30/2019

Memorial Day 1978 - anyone recognize any of these majorettes? The old creamery/hippy house building is on the right.

Andover Grammar School - 1932 - Grades 3, 4, & 5
03/22/2019

Andover Grammar School - 1932 - Grades 3, 4, & 5

The Hotel Andover.  This large hotel was opposite the train station on what today is Center Street.  It was open for bus...
03/16/2019

The Hotel Andover. This large hotel was opposite the train station on what today is Center Street. It was open for business from the early 1850s to around 1910. It burned on October 16, 1916. While the hotel had been closed for a time, four men perished in the blaze. It is believed that they were playing cards and drinking heavily in the livery area of the building and that their lantern was the cause of the fire.

In the fall of 1948, Ken Chadwick began constructing a service station on Route 6.  By early 1949 Ken had completed the ...
03/10/2019

In the fall of 1948, Ken Chadwick began constructing a service station on Route 6. By early 1949 Ken had completed the office and was in business selling gasoline. Shortly after "Ken's Garage" was complete, servicing and repairing cars. Ken, with the help of friends, built the building using cinder blocks bought from the A. B. C. Concrete Products Company of Andover. Ken ran the garage until 1972, at which time the business was sold and changed to Andover Used Auto Parts. The building was demolished in 2004 to make way for the Xtra-Mart.

If you were to stand at the end of Monument Lane, near the steps leading up to the front of the Museum of Andover Histor...
03/08/2019

If you were to stand at the end of Monument Lane, near the steps leading up to the front of the Museum of Andover History and look back toward the covered bridge, then go back in time 100 years, this is what you would see. The creamery building had been purchased by Henry Rosenbloom and converted into a store. The full second floor was being added to house his family. Sarah Winston (one of his daughters) writes about this and many other experiences growing up in Andover in the 1920's in her book "Everything Happens for the Best."

6th, 7th, and 8th grade at the new Andover Elementary School, 1949
03/01/2019

6th, 7th, and 8th grade at the new Andover Elementary School, 1949

The Andover Grange chapter was established in February, 1888.  For the next 107 years members were very active in making...
02/26/2019

The Andover Grange chapter was established in February, 1888. For the next 107 years members were very active in making Andover a better place to live. Here are a number of people who led that organization.

The origin of today's Channel 3 Kids Camp (expand first photo)
02/23/2019

The origin of today's Channel 3 Kids Camp (expand first photo)

From 1949, until 1974, the fire department held an annual fair - the Carnabar as a fund raising event.  Many locals cons...
02/19/2019

From 1949, until 1974, the fire department held an annual fair - the Carnabar as a fund raising event. Many locals considered this to be the event of the year. Rides and gaming booths were set up behind the old fire house and the truck bays were used for bingo. Dancing was done on Center Street.

Andover Boy Scout Troop 124 at Camp June Norcross Webster, 1985.  The camp is located in Ashford and is frequented by An...
02/17/2019

Andover Boy Scout Troop 124 at Camp June Norcross Webster, 1985. The camp is located in Ashford and is frequented by Andover cub scout and boy scout troops.

The Valley Company was a small store and soda fountain operated by the Yeomans family.  It operated in the teens and twe...
02/15/2019

The Valley Company was a small store and soda fountain operated by the Yeomans family. It operated in the teens and twenties of the 20th century. It shared the first level of this building with the post office. The post office remained at this location until the present stand-a-lone building was completed in 1961. The building still stands on Center Street.

Address

1 Monument Lane
Andover, CT
06232

Website

Alerts

Be the first to know and let us send you an email when Andover Historical Society - Connecticut posts news and promotions. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at any time.

Contact The Museum

Send a message to Andover Historical Society - Connecticut:

Videos

Nearby museums