08/24/2026
Happy First Day of School, Alexandria! Over 100 years ago in 1915 the city broke ground on the new Alexandria High School on the northwest corner of Cameron and West Streets. The school remained in use as a high school until 1935 when it became an annex to the Jefferson School and a new facility opened in Del Ray. The building was eventually torn down in the 1960s to make room for the new Jefferson-Houston Elementary. Archaeologists found this medallion at Fort Ward while conducting a metal detecting survey ahead of the construction of a new ADA pathway. This brass medallion is marked "AHS" and "1915" supporting the theory that it was some sort of token used to commemorate the dedication of Alexandria High School. How and why it made its way to Fort Ward is less clear because this artifact was found with little other contextual information that would help us link it to a person or household.