06/26/2026
During October 1937, the Stanly News & Press announced the opening of the Efird Brothers Feed Mill on North Depot Street in Albemarle. The brothers, Crayon and Hugh Efird, said the mill had a “daily capacity of 50 tons of dairy feed and will make a complete line of feeds- consisting of horse and mule feed, dairy feed, hog feed, laying mash, starting mash, growing mash, and scratch feed.”
In March 1938, the Efird Brothers announced they had leased the mill to Early and Daniel of Cincinnati, one of the largest grain dealers in the nation. This business produced a well-known brand of feeds known as “Tuxedo.” The mill in Albemarle would serve as a distribution point for North and South Carolina along with a part of Virginia. At this time a new addition was being added to the north end of the mill that would serve as a salesroom, and a large warehouse was being planned for the south side.
During early 1940, the Southern Flour Mill and Stanly Flour Mills became the new distributors of the Tuxedo brand of feeds. What happened at the Efird Mill at this time is not clear. In May 1941, R.P. Stegall of Marshville became the new operator of the mill. The Stegall Provisions Company undertook repairs and restoration of the mill and warehouse, and they reopened the mill as a full-service feed mill.
In 1947 the mill became known as Traywick & Traywick which operated the business. Also known as Traywick Seed until at least the mid to late 1960s.