Tenterden and District Museum

Tenterden and District Museum The Museum is a focus for research, and has artefacts dating back through history. We aim to conserve, celebrate and share our unique local history.

Tenterden and District Museum is the realisation of a dream long held by the people of Tenterden. For decades people nurtured the idea of founding a museum, saved and stored collections, planned for and worked towards its establishment, and it is now the well loved institution that is visited by hundreds of people every year. On 26th July 1928 the Tenterden Borough Council received from the owner

of Pebbles, Mrs Alice Woods, the offer of the house for use as an art gallery and museum for the Borough of Tenterden. This was considered by the Council on 20th September, when it was felt that the expense would be too heavy , the offer was, with great reluctance and regret, declined, but a letter expressing appreciation was sent to the donor. A year earlier a wooden box, containing the original standard imperial weights and measures made for the Borough in 1825, which had been put aside (presumably in 1888, when the duty of inspecting weights and measures had passed to the new county councils) was rediscovered in the Police Station at 52 High Street, on the corner of Church Road. The box of weights and measures was removed to the Borough Highways Depot in the 19th century coach builders’ works in Danemore. Here, in the former paint shop on the upper floor, they were again rediscovered forty years later, together with many other historic items, including by then some ARP signs and other Civil Defence equipment from the building’s war time use as the Borough Civil Defence H.Q. In 1930 Leslie Chalk, proprietor of the estate agents Hatch and Waterman, was elected to the Borough Council and began to assemble a collection of items of historical interest, including agricultural implements, and, in particular, what are now known as the “Shoobridge Papers”. After the War, Mrs Woods succeeded in her desire to give The Pebbles to the town, this time as a War Memorial “for the benefit of the people of Tenterden”. (It was this wording of the terms of the gift which in 1974 enabled the Town Council to argue that The Pebbles was not local authority property and should not therefore be handed over to Ashford.) In 1960 Leslie Chalk tried to revive the idea of using the building as a museum, but the Council felt it was not suitable and the ground floor was instead leased to the County Council as a home for the County Library, which at that time was situated in the former photographic studio behind the pharmacy at 60 High Street. In 1968 there was a burst of activity at the Town Hall. Conscious of the continuing loss of historic buildings in the town the Council commissioned (in conjunction with the County Council) “Tenterden Explored”, a “planning bible” which quickly became a model for planning authorities everywhere. The Borough Finance Department moved out of its cramped quarters in the former Magistrates Court above the old Police Station into The Pebbles, above the Library, and the Borough Surveyor’s office moved into the Drill Hall in Church Road. The Council’s interest in the idea of a museum was revived by a letter from Mr and Mrs Brian Kingston and, most importantly, the Town Clerk, Cecil Saunders, became interested. He found that under recent legislation Borough Councils could apply to the Department of Education and Science to be recognised as Museum Authorities, and he took up the suggestion with the Department and with the County Council (the existing Museum Authority). The County Council advised Tenterden to wait until publication of the 1970/71 budget and meanwhile the Borough Council set up a Museum Sub-committee which included representatives from the Tenterden Trust, the Local History Society and the Railway Company, together with Admiral Urquart, the County Councillor, with the object of arousing public interest, looking into the financial implications, and investigating possible premises. The Town Clerk also learned that the Science Museum’s Reserve Store near Olympia in West London wished to get rid of some surplus Victorian display cases and was prepared to give them to any museum which would bear the cost of transport. These heavy glass and mahogany cases and the two black painted sets of specimen drawers with display cases on top later proved invaluable for display and for storage of papers, books and small items. The Council’s application for recognition as a Museum authority was eventually turned down by the Department of Education and Science in view of the imminence of Local Government Reorganisation, but the County Council remained sympathetic and suggested that Tenterden might set up a ”Semi-Permanent Exhibition” under the auspices of Area Museums Services if suitable premises and necessary finance could be found. A temporary exhibition was held in the Drill Hall in 1974 at which the Junior’s School’s Commemoration Week “Tenterden Tapestry” was on display, together with the 1825 Weights and Measures, the 19th Century market scales, the 18th century Volunteers’ Drum, and other items found among Leslie Chalk’s collection, which had been retrieved from the Highways Depot before it was transferred to Ashford in 1974. The Museum Sub-committee looked at a number of buildings which had recently become empty, including Ashbourne Watermill opposite Rolvenden Station, Eastwell Barn, the School in Church Road, the Drill Hall, and the site of the 18th century theatre behind Bells Lane, where Theatre Cottages, part of the theatre property, were awaiting restoration while the site of the theatre itself remained vacant. However, about this time, following the Public Inquiry into car parking in Tenterden (which resulted in the introduction of yellow lines into the town) the Council was looking for sites for car parks, and acquired the builder’s yard and premises in Station Road. In 1974 the yard and the 19th century industrial building, which the Council had started to renovate, were transferred with other Council property to the new Ashford Borough Council. The new authority wanted the car park but had no use for the building and agreed to lease the latter, under proper safeguards as to maintenance and fire precautions, at a peppercorn rent to the Town Council, who undertook the responsibility ‘provided there should be no cost to the rates’. A public meeting was held with the object of setting up a Museum Association to find the money, and fit out and run the museum. The first meeting of the Committee of Association was held in February 1976, and the “Semi-Permanent Exhibition”, designed and professionally mounted by Area Museums Services, was completed by September 1976, in the eastern end of the building, and officially opened in April 1977. The members of the Association, which quickly achieved a membership of 250, were enthusiastic and put in an incredible amount of work in preparing the rest of the ground floor, part of which still had an earth floor from its days as a cart shed, as an exhibition area – laying carpet tiles, moving and dressing display cases, mounting the “Tenterden Tapestry”, arranging the “Omdurman” spears and shields, and wall displays, while the railway members set up their excellent exhibition at the far end. There have been many changes since then, but in general the original idea of an explanation of the history of Tenterden in the first room, with items of general interest beyond, has been preserved as first conceived 46 years ago, and the Museum is still run by the voluntary efforts of the Association members.

Special Exhibition of three extraordinary embroideries now live at Tenterden & District Museum.The decorative needlework...
29/08/2026

Special Exhibition of three extraordinary embroideries now live at Tenterden & District Museum.
The decorative needlework, carefully worked by hand, is teeming with stories of the home lives, family lives and working lives which produced them.
At the museum, we are lucky enough to care-take a number of textile items, including one worked by 13-year-old Sarah Norton, in 1799, another by her great-granddaughter, Mabel Cornes Morley in the 1800s and a third, a firescreen, worked on an old fertiliser sack by Edie Smith nee Garlinge, a Land Army girl who worked around Reading Street, near Appledore, during WWII.
All this beautiful, delicate and highly accomplished work was showing signs of distress and in need of significant conservation work to prevent it from deteriorating any further.
Conservation work on these pieces is now complete so the embroideries will be safe for many years to come.
The exhibition to showcase the embroideries and conservation work carried out by the textiles conservators is now open.
We hope you will visit the museum to see the results.
Open every day 10am to 4pm (Sundays 1pm to 4pm)

Tenterden’s original water supply.Tenterden's original public water supply relied on local private and shared wells. The...
23/08/2026

Tenterden’s original water supply.
Tenterden's original public water supply relied on local private and shared wells. The first public water supplies to Tenterden were from an East Well and West Well, serving each end of the town. The East Cross Pump was erected in 1864 to provide the eastern end of the town with an improved public water supply and still stands on the corner of East Cross Gardens (The Fairings).
The deeds of most properties in Tenterden refer to the well or pump in the backyard, or to right of water from the neighbouring property.
There was also a water pump at the bottom of Coombe Lane. A deep well was excavated in 1893 by Mr. O. Edwards to supply the old Tenterden Brewery which was located behind The Vine – now the coach park. He engineered a 1½ inch pipeline running all the way up Coombe Lane to the brewery supply tanks, sourcing a softer water blend. It was originally operated via a wind pump before an oil/diesel engine was added.
The brewery was registered as a limited company in 1922 but was acquired shortly after in 1923 by Jude, Hanbury & Co. (and later absorbed into Shepherd Neame), leading to its ultimate closure of the brewery and eventual demolition of the water pump.
Some information courtesy MyTenterden 2020.

Then & Now - 3 & 5, High Street – The CellarsGrade II listed 18th century building.  No. 3 was originally the private ho...
16/08/2026

Then & Now - 3 & 5, High Street – The Cellars
Grade II listed 18th century building. No. 3 was originally the private house of Thomas Avery (1799 – 1877) (Wine Merchant) and his family. The business belonged to the Avery family for 223 years. In 1890 its licensing hours were 6.00am to 11.00pm.
E. Millicet was first employed at Ye Olde Cellars by Richard Avery, the son of Thomas Avery he held the licence for over 50 years. Mr Dandy Field was also a landlord there.
No. 5 was the cellar of the wine merchant’s shop, and from the 1880’s was Ye Olde Cellars public house, which remained open until August 1986. World famous for never being dusted and for the innumerable postcards and paper money examples from the world over stuck the ceiling, it had to close as new Health and Safety rules were gradually introduced, despite a radical face lift in 1981. By 1989 planning permission had been granted for redevelopment.
For more information on the history of properties in Tenterden & District contact the museum at [email protected] which is open every day 10am to 4pm (Sundays 1pm to 4pm). All welcome.

09/08/2026

When will we see you again? Lots to see and do at Tenterden & District Museum. Our volunteer stewards are always happy to help with enquiries or information. Become a member and have free entry and access to events and talks. All welcome.

08/08/2026
03/08/2026

Samuel Jones Tilden
One of the earliest families to emigrate from Tenterden to America were the Tilden’s. For many years they had been successful clothiers and many of them were public figures in local Government.
Nathaniel Tilden, who had been Mayor in 1622, emigrated to America in 1634 in the ship Hercules of Sandwich, with his wife Lydia, their seven children and seven servants or apprentices. Nathaniel became a Town Officer and ruling elder at Scituate, Massachusetts, and died in 1641.
The family prospered in America and in 1874 Samuel Jones Tilden became Governor of New York. In 1876 he was nominated for the Presidency by the Democrats, the Republican candidate being R.B. Hayes, of Ohio. By midnight of election night the odds seemed to favour Tilden, but the Republican editor of the New York Times, watching the returns, realised that all depended on the votes of Louisiana, South Carolina and Florida. Hayes was roused from sleep, and telegrams were sent to the local Republican leaders, which resulted in two sets of returns being sent in from the Southern states. An ad hoc electoral commission decided in favour of Hayes, despite allegations of fraud and bribery, but the disillusioned Tilden decided not to risk plunging the country into further strife.
“I can retire into private life” he said “with the consciousness that I shall receive from posterity the credit of having been elected to the highest position in the gift of the people, without any of the cares and responsibilities of the office.”

Join us every Saturday 11am to 3pm.           All welcome
30/07/2026

Join us every Saturday 11am to 3pm. All welcome

Then & Now - Little Westwell FarmhousePossibly built by John Tilden who was elected ‘Bailiff’ of Tenterden in 1586/7 and...
26/07/2026

Then & Now - Little Westwell Farmhouse
Possibly built by John Tilden who was elected ‘Bailiff’ of Tenterden in 1586/7 and after the change in the constitution of the Corporation, following the Charter of Elizabeth I, he became the towns first ‘Mayor’ in 1601/2. He lived in the family home on the hillside above the spring near West Cross (Westwell House) and carried on his father’s business as a clothier with the help of his son Samuel, who from the records ‘had a house nearby’. Possibly Little Westwell Farmhouse?
A 17th-century English clothier was a wealthy merchant manufacturer who managed the production and sale of woollen cloth.
The inventory of a similar contemporary clothier of the time consisted of ‘turkey work chairs and cushions, leather chairs, a glass fronted cupboard, silver plates, spoons and tankards, a silver-gilt salt, a quantity of household linen, a parcel of books valued at £3, and in the garrets £28 worth of wool, with £13 worth of wheat and barley. There was also a parcel of old armour worth £2’.
The property is a designated Grade II listed building. An historic early 17th century, L-shaped property located on Rolvenden Road in Tenterden. Two storeys and attic. Ground floor of red brick, above tile-hung. Hipped tiled roof with moulded wooden eaves cornice and two dormers. Three casement windows. Small 18th century porch with slender columns, Six panel moulded door, the top two panels cut away and glazed.

Address

Station Road
Tenterden
TN306HN

Alerts

Be the first to know and let us send you an email when Tenterden and District Museum posts news and promotions. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at any time.

Shortcuts

Share

Category