09/06/2026
The Old C**k Inn
The building to the south of the Priory, which now houses Medivet, was formerly the site of the C**k Inn. The first reference to it is from 1568, when Thomas Finche took over as landlord, and the building itself probably dated from the 16th Century. As can be seen in the 1930 photograph, it was notable for having no windows facing onto the High Street - access to the pub was round the back. This was reportedly done during the English Civil War of 1642-1648, when the landlord bricked up the doors and windows so as not to attract the attention of passing troops. In the 18th Century it was a thriving inn with 10 beds, but in 1799 its license was suddenly terminated when the landlord at the time refused to provide accommodation for a company of soldiers marching through the village.
After its closure the building was used by the nearby farmhouse for stabling and storage, slowly falling into disrepair. Eventually it became the property of the Rural District Council, who sold it (along with The Priory) to RayBuild Ltd in 1969. Although there was a preservation order on it and a campaign by villagers to save it the building was eventually deemed unrepairable and demolished in 1977. The building presently on the site was constructed in a similar style and used some bricks recovered from The C**k, it was the Village Health Centre until that moved to Hawkes Drive and it was taken over by a veterinary practice.