Championing the possibilities of new ideas in contemporary art since opening in 1970, the Serpentine has presented pioneering exhibitions for almost half a century, showing a wide range of work from emerging practitioners to the most internationally recognised artists of our time, providing a place for them to experiment and an open platform for them to be seen and heard.
The Serpentine is committed to presenting interdisciplinary and collaborative work across art, architecture, design, fashion and digital.
Across two sites, the Serpentine Gallery and the Serpentine Sackler Gallery present a year-round, open programme of exhibitions, education, live events and technological innovation, in the park and beyond. Proud to maintain free access for all visitors, thanks to its unique location, the Galleries also reach an exceptionally broad audience and connect with the local community.
Architecture is a core aspect of the Serpentine’s programme, with the annual Serpentine Pavilion commission as well as its global extension, with a Beijing Pavilion in 2018. The late Dame Zaha Hadid, Pritzker Architecture Prize laureate Zaha Hadid, designed the Serpentine Sackler Gallery and Chucs Serpentine, a former 1805 Grade II* listed former gunpowder store, returning it to public use for the first time in its 208-year history.
The Serpentine offers innovative ways for all ages to engage with its exhibitions, projects, education and public programmes, including podcasts. Only 17% of the Galleries’ annual operating income comes from government sources, with the remaining 83% raised privately through donations, corporate sponsorships, trusts, foundations, individuals and other activities, including Gallery and restaurant hire.
Open 10am - 6pm from Tuesday to Sunday. Closed on Mondays.
Nearest tube stations: Lancaster Gate, Knightsbridge or South Kensington. Main bus routes: 9, 10, 52, 94, 148
Serpentine Sackler Gallery
Nearest tube stations: Lancaster Gate or Marble Arch. Main bus routes: 148, 274, 390 94
The Serpentine welcomes school, university and community groups to the Galleries on Tuesday through Sunday for self-led visits. All groups must book in advance with the visitor services team. For further information regarding planning a group visit, please visit our group visits page.
Parking for vehicles and bicycles
There is metered car parking in Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park.
There is dedicated cycle parking within the grounds of the Serpentine Sackler Gallery.
There are Santander Cycles hire stations on West Carriage Drive near the Serpentine Sackler Gallery and on The Ring near the Serpentine Gallery.
Dogs are not permitted inside the Serpentine Galleries or the Chucs Serpentine restaurant. There are several dog rings outside the Serpentine Galleries for short visits.
Guide dogs are permitted.
We have full disability access and facilities.
Facilities – toilets/baby changing room
The Serpentine Galleries have full disability access and facilities.
There is a baby changing room located at each Gallery.
Chucs Serpentine restaurant and café is now at the Serpentine Galleries. Chucs offers an all-day menu, a £25 three-course set menu, children’s classics, homemade ice creams and cocktails. A take-away menu is also available.
Chucs Serpentine is open for breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea: 9am-6.30pm Tuesday-Sunday, closed Mondays.
For reservations, please call 020 7298 7552.