30/08/2026
OUR HISTORY:
Early Mansfield, Victoria, Australia Circa 1928
Donated by Margaret Forrest. Photographer unknown.
Information:
View of High Street, showing McKay's Shoe Store, E. Tulloch Solicitor, Watts and Turnbull Estate Agents, Kelson's Garage and Auction Mart, National Bank of Australia.
Annie Lamb (McKay) turned her Ladies & Children’s Wear shop into a boot shop. She ran her business from 1925 to 1956. Prior to this John Llewellyn had his chemist shop here.
Barrister & Solicitor, Eric W. Tulloch, bought his business from Mr Stodart in 1925. In 1923 a fire had started in the business next door and the front of Mr Stodart’s office was “considerably damaged, the wall having to be chopped away to get the massive safe out.” Reference: ‘High Street Traders of Mansfield 1854-2000’, Mansfield Historical Society.
Kelson’s premises was also damaged, and in the chaos, someone stole a r***e from the broken front window. Vincent Kelson owned one of the first cars in Mansfield and was a keen member of the Cycling Club. His business, which his father, Isaac Kelson, began in 1892, included a Motor Car and Cycle Warehouse, Insurance, Furniture and Linoleums, a Petrol & Benzine Depot and he was an Acetylene Gas Expert. He also had a Farm Implements Agency and sold Sheep Dip, besides being a Financial Agent, Auctioneer, Valuator and an Agent for G. Dawe, Monumental Sculptor.
The National Bank of Australia building was erected in 1923. G.H.D Tait, manager of the Bank, moved across the road into the new premises. The National Bank had previously purchased the Colonial Bank in 1918, which was operating in Cahn’s building almost opposite the new site.