08/16/2026
This week in SWN - The August 12, 1983 provided answers to two Strasburg "mysteries": 1) What happened to the fountain that sat in Center Square from 1900 to 1922, after it was removed? and 2) What became of the 1912 "Carroll Car" built by Carroll and Chester Aument of Strasburg? Read this newspaper clipping to find out!
Here's a little background, in case these topics are new to you...
In 1900, the Women's Christian Temperance Union gifted a fountain to Strasburg, to provide clean drinking water for "man and beast." It was made of cast iron, and sat right in the middle of the intersection of Main and Decatur Streets. Trolley tracks that ran down Main Street had to curved around the fountain. The fountain had an elevated basin for horses, and a small bowl at ground level for dogs & other small creatures. A cup hung from a spigot above a small basin for people. The fountain was one fo the first sources of running water in Strasburg. It became a local landmark, but was finally removed after being damaged in a collision in 1922.
Brothers Carroll and Chester Aument grew up at 54 W Main, and as young men, opened a garage in an old building or the corner of West Main and Fulton St. Carroll was trained as an engineer, and together, the brothers designed and built a car in 1912. Their hopes to manufacture it never materialized. They sold cars of other brands (Marion and Saxon cars, Republic trucks), and did automotive repairs at their shop. Around 1915, Carroll pursued other carreer opportunities. Chester continued with the repair shop until 1917, when he sold the business to David Batterman. John McCord then bought the business in 1919. B. Lloyd Yunginger purchased the property in 1941, and replaced the old building with the one that is now Synergy Service Center.