Lagrange Historical Society

Lagrange Historical Society Our Mission is to Preserve, Protect and Maintain our c.1860 One-Room Schoolhouse and to Educate the Community about our History.
There were originally 12 one-room schoolhouses in the Town of LaGrange. It held classes in these schools from 1862-1941 until Arlington School District centralized. The LaGrange Historical Society was formed in 1959 and acquired the building {District 3 } in 1962 and it is the only one left that isn't privately owned and/or been taken down

History of the Town of LaGrange: LaGrange was established by the Dutchess County of Supervisors February 9, 1821. It was formed by the union of two parcels, one partioned off from the Town of Beekman and the other from the Town of Fishkill. It was given its present boundaries and size, 25,682 acres, in 1827 when a 5,000 acre strip along the eastern border was detached and added to a section of the Town of Beekman to form the Town of Union Vale. The Town was first known as the Town of Freedom. That name was chosen in keeping with the spirit of the times and as the result of the intense promotion of Enoch Dorland, a Quaker preacher and burning patriot, resident of Dorlandville, the community which was later re-named " Arthursburg " in honor of the Family of Chester A. Arthur who had worked as a youth in 1844 in His uncle's store, at the crossroads. However, " Freedom " was a popular word, incorporated in many place names in New York State. It caused much confusion in postal deliveries. Therefore, the name was changed in 1828. Again at the behest of Enoch Dorland who wished to immortalize here his hero, the Marquis de LaFayette, the name of LaFayette's home located East of Paris, France, " La Grange " was adopted.

Mission: HAMLETS : Arthursburg, Billings, Freedom Plains, LaGrangeville, Manchester, and Moore Mills

What they taught in Schools in the 1800s
08/27/2017

What they taught in Schools in the 1800s

02/10/2017

Happy "196th" Birthday to the Town of LaGrange. Established February 9, 1821.

Lagrange Historical Society
09/20/2016

Lagrange Historical Society

New Clock being installed in LaGrange in the center of the rotary by Arlington High School and Freedom Plains United Pre...
09/20/2016

New Clock being installed in LaGrange in the center of the rotary by Arlington High School and Freedom Plains United Presbyterian Church September 20, 2016. LaGrange was established in 1821. 195 years ago . Thank You to the Town of LaGrange for a job well done.

Dedication Ceremony August 21, 2016 for Our New Vegetable Garden an Eagle Scout Project by Joshua Winkelbauer and Boy Sc...
08/22/2016

Dedication Ceremony August 21, 2016 for Our New Vegetable Garden an Eagle Scout Project by Joshua Winkelbauer and Boy Scouts from LaGrange Troop #82. Thank You All for Your Hard Work.

08/17/2016

We are having an OPEN HOUSE this Sunday, August 21st from 11 a.m.- 2 p.m. at our One-Room Schoolhouse located at the Intersections of Freedom and Dr. Fink Roads in LaGrange. LaGrange Troop #82 will be in attendance so we can thank them for installing our new 20x20 vegetable garden. The garden will be used for future programs on growing your own food and eating healthy. All are Welcome.

08/01/2016

OUR NEW VEGETABLE GARDEN: On July 9,2016, Joshua Winkelbauer, Life Scout from Troop #82, completed his Eagle Scout Project for the LaGrange Historical Society. Joshua chose to build a 20x20 vegetable garden at the District #3 One-Room Schoolhouse located at the intersections of Freedom and Dr. Fink Roads in LaGrange. With the help of other Scouts from the Troop the area was rototilled, cedar posts and fencing added and a garden gate installed. To complete the project a variety of vegetables were planted. The Lagrange Historical Society plans on using the garden as an educational tool for the Community and local schools to help demonstrate the ground to table process and proper gardening techniques.This could not be possible except for the donations from the following businesses: Eastern View Farm and Nursery, LaGrange, Freedom Plains Tree Farm, LaGrange, Milton Alley Agway, LaGrange, Mallen Excavating, Pleasant Valley, Pleasant Valley Stone, Pleasant Valley and Davies Hardware, Poughkeepsie. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT.

07/08/2016
Lagrange Historical Society

RESTORATION AND THE PRESERVATION OF OLD BOOKS

On Tuesday July 12th we welcome guest speaker Alice Vaughn from Hudson River Binding . Alice specializes in book bindings, portfolios, enclosures and the restoration and preserving of old books. Her talk will be at the Freedom Plains Presbyterian Church located at 1168 Route 55 in LaGrangeville starting at 7 p.m. For more info please call 845 489-5183

07/07/2016

On Tuesday July 12th we welcome guest speaker Alice Vaughn from Hudson River Binding . Alice specializes in book bindings, portfolios, enclosures and the restoration and preserving of old books. Her talk will be at the Freedom Plains Presbyterian Church located at 1168 Route 55 in LaGrangeville starting at 7 p.m. For more info please call 845 489-5183

10/26/2015

Tony Musso author of "Hidden Treasures of the Hudson Valley" Series 1&2 will be our Guest Speaker Tuesday, October 27th at the Freedom Plains United Presbyterian Church speaking about his new book " Hidden Treasures of the Catskills" at 7 p.m. The destinations depicted in his book make great day trips or weekend getaways. The Presbyterian Church is located at 1168 Route 55 in LaGrangeville, For more information call 845 489-5183.

09/21/2015

TRAIN ENTHUSIASTS: Bernie Rudberg author of " Twenty-Five Years on the ND&C, A History of the Newburgh, Dutchess and Connecticut Railroads" and the leading authority on trains and the railroad system in the area will be our guest speaker on Tuesday, September 29,2015 at the Freedom Plains United Presbyterian Church located at 1168 Route 55, LaGrangeville, N.Y. starting at 7 p.m. Bernie will be discussing how the railroads carried products to cities and also brought city culture and life to the farms. His focus will be in Dutchess County and in the Town of LaGrange.

c. November 1957 Oswego Schoolhouse Class, Oswego Road, Moores Mill, N.Y.
08/21/2015

c. November 1957 Oswego Schoolhouse Class, Oswego Road, Moores Mill, N.Y.

We are having an Open House at our One-Room Schoolhouse this Sunday, July 19th from 12-3 p.m.  The Schoolhouse is locate...
07/16/2015

We are having an Open House at our One-Room Schoolhouse this Sunday, July 19th from 12-3 p.m. The Schoolhouse is located at the Intersection of Freedom ( County Route 47 ) and Dr. Fink Roads in Lagrange just off Route 55.

02/09/2015

February 9, 1821 194 Years Today: The Town of LaGrange was established by the Dutchess County Supervisors. It was formed by two parcels, one partioned off from the Town of Beekman and the other from the Town of Fishkill. It was given its present boundaries and size, 25,682 acres. In 1827 a 5,000 acre strip along the eastern border was detached and added to a section of the Town of Beekman to form the Town of Unionvale. The Town was first known as the Town of Freedom. That name was chosen in keeping with the spirit of the times and as the result of the intense promotion of Enoch Dorland, a Quaker preacher and burning patriot, a resident of Dorlandville, the community which was later re-named " Arthursburg " in honor of the Family of Chester A. Arthur who had worked as a youth in 1844 in his uncles store, at the crossroads. However, " Freedom " was a popular word incorporated in many places in New York State and caused much confusion in postal deliveries. Therefore, the name was changed in 1828. Again at the behest of Enoch Dorland who wished to immoralize his hero, the Marquis de Lafayette, the name of LaFayette's home located east of Paris, France, " LaGrange " was established

06/24/2014

LAFAYETTE DID MUCH FOR AMERICA : One of the noted visitors to Dutchess County during the American Revolution was a young general from France, the Marquis de Lafayette. A general at 19 who served in the Revolution from 1777 until the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown in 1781. The young French nobleman of position and wealth came to America and offered his services in 1777 to General George Washington, and within a short time became one of Washington's most trusted aides. Early in the war he proved himself a fighting general by suffering a wound at the Battle of Brandywine in Pennsylvania near Philadelphia. General Lafayette was born in the Auvergne region of France on September 6, 1757. His given name was Marie Joseph Paul Roch Yves Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette. During the war he stayed at Colonel Derick Brinckerhoffs home about a mile from the Village of Fishkill in early October of 1778, when Washington was there. However, he left the home on October 7, 1778 for Philadelphia to plead with Congress for an invasion of Canada. Three weeks later during his return trip, he became desperately ill of pneumonia and remained at the Brinckerhoff home for a month. While in bed at the mansion, Washington was at the time in Fredericksburgh ( present day Patterson ) 21 miles away... Washington ordered his personal physician, Dr. John Cochran, to attend to him. Lafayette was able to leave Fishkill on December 2nd by General Washington's order and was accompanied to Boston by Dr. Cochran who stayed with him until he took ship back to France. During his illness, he was visited by Washington on November 8th, and again when Washington was in Fishkill on November 28, 29 and 30th 1778. When Lafayette was 67 years old in 1824, he made a visit to this country, and included Dutchess County on his itinerary. He was honored in Poughkeepsie and although he did not go to Fishkill he stopped at Fishkill Landing ( now Beacon ) en route down the river, and called on Mrs.John DeWint, grand-daughter of President John Adams. Marquis de Lafayette died in Paris on May 20, 1834. Originally called Freedom in 1821 it changed its name to LaGrange in 1829 in honor of Lafayette which was also the name of his estate in France.

Thank You Caitlin Dempsey for Painting a New Sign for our Historical Society.
06/06/2014

Thank You Caitlin Dempsey for Painting a New Sign for our Historical Society.

Anyone recognize your Mother, Father, Grandmother or Grandfather ?
06/05/2014

Anyone recognize your Mother, Father, Grandmother or Grandfather ?

Class of 1940 at the District #3 Schoolhouse on Freedom Road and Dr. Fink Road. Shown in the Top Picture: Back Row, Left to Right: Hazel Eighmie, Edna Monfort, Shirley Burger, Lois Wade, Ada O'Dell, Richard Eighmie and Mrs. Emma Wood ( Teacher ). Front Row, Left to Right: Alfred Johnson, Edward Wyant, Donald Wright, William Wyant, Harry Burdick, Natalie Tompkins, Carle Tompkins and Emma Lewis. Bottom Picture, Back Row, Left to Right: Marion Regaunalt, Emily Phillips, Mary Jane Monfort, Margaret Johnson, and Betty Anne Phillips. Front Row, Left to Right: Gwendolyn Wyant, Richard Smith, Robert Berger, Richard Wade, Robert Phillips, Vincent Wyant and Marguerite Eighmie

TEACHER APPRECIATION WEEK:  Thanks to All Teachers for your Dedication throughout the Years.
05/07/2014

TEACHER APPRECIATION WEEK: Thanks to All Teachers for your Dedication throughout the Years.

These are pictures of different classes Circa 1917

10/23/2013

LAGRANGE MIDDLE SCHOOL FIELD TRIP: Today approximately 80+ 8th graders and 4 teachers visted our one-room schoolhouse. They all walked down from their school which is about one mile and learned about early education and also about the history of the Town of LaGrange. All the students should be commended on how well behaved they were for such a large group. This is a reflection on what an outstanding job the teachers did as well. Thanks to all on a great day.

I feel that we must keep before ourselves the fundamental fact that  if there are no documents there is no history. The ...
10/04/2013

I feel that we must keep before ourselves the fundamental fact that if there are no documents there is no history. The personnel of a society is not only a potent force in the carrying of a society to its worthy objective but as a group it can play a significant role in training boys and girls and in interesting adults in the worth and value of historical materials. Historical societies may be thought of as rich storehouses of our past heritage. They may be considered as beacon of lights on the horizon of things that are the things that are to be. They are living symbols of a force so powerful that it cannot be dismayed, a force which seeks to instill in people the richness and culture of days gone by and an appreciation of the men and women who made this country and upon whose foundation we stand and look into the future.

LaGrange District no. 3 One-Room Schoolhouse c. 1917.  Check out other photos and read stories about the History of the ...
09/30/2013

LaGrange District no. 3 One-Room Schoolhouse c. 1917. Check out other photos and read stories about the History of the Town of LaGrange on our page.

The LaGrange District no. 3 One Room SchoolHouse was nominated and just listed on the United States National and the New...
06/08/2013

The LaGrange District no. 3 One Room SchoolHouse was nominated and just listed on the United States National and the New York State Registers of Historic Properties. It is located at the intersection of Freedom Road ( County Route 47 ) and Dr. Fink Road in LaGrange just off Route 55. It was one of 13 original schools in the Town. It is the only one left that is not privately owned or has been taken down. Go to our page for more information and to see other photos and articles.

Following a detailed review, the New York State Historic Preservation review board has recommended that our c. 1860 One-...
05/10/2013

Following a detailed review, the New York State Historic Preservation review board has recommended that our c. 1860 One-Room School House be listed on the New York State Register of Historic Places and nominated to the National Register of Historic Places. Our application was now forwarded to the Keeper of the National Register in Washington D. C.

11/16/2012

DR. FINK ROAD: Our one room schoolhouse is located at the intersection of Freedom and Dr. Fink Road in LaGrange. Iv'e been asked several times who Dr. Fink was and Today would have been His 169th Birthday. Austin T. Fink was born in Peekskill, New York on November 16, 1843. In 1860, He was appointed Assistant Postmater, and in 1863 enlisted in the United States Navy. As a veteran of the Civil War he served with distinction and in 1865 was honorably discharged. In 1869 He graduated from the University Medical College, and in March of that year commenced to practice in the Town of LaGrange until shortly before World War 1. His practiced lasted for over 40 years. He would keep a kerosene lamp outside His home to guide patients at night. He had an excellent well and when His neighbors went without water for sometime during periods of drought, they would bring pails to His home where He would distribute water. He was the first Health Officer in LaGrange wher He also seved as Postmaster and Justice of the Peace. His duties as physician somtimes delayed the mail, so when He reached His home He would raise an American flag up a pole to a cupola to let neighbors know that the mail was in. Dr. Fink passed away on the eve of Memorial Day, May 31, 1913 at the age of 69. He was survived by His wife, the former Elizabeth Everett Pudney ( d. December 16, 1924 ), two brothers, Robert and Earl Fink and a sister Mrs. Margaret Mathias. They had no children. After His death, His home had changed ownership several time and eventually went into disrepair. Sadly it was demolished. Dr. Fink Road is short and pleasantly rural. It runs from a half a mile from Route 55, a short distance west of Arlington High School and a bit north to Freedom Road. Dr. Fink Road owes its existence to the building of Route 55 in the 1930s. A loop to the north in the Old Freedom Plains Road was eliminated for the new Route 55 because of two dangerous curves. Dr. Austin Fink was universally liked and respected by the people throughout Dutchess County and it was fitting that the loop would be named Dr. Fink Road

Timeline Photos
09/23/2012

Timeline Photos

Class of 1940 at the District #3 Schoolhouse on Freedom Road and Dr. Fink Road.    Shown in the Top Picture:   Back Row,...
09/23/2012

Class of 1940 at the District #3 Schoolhouse on Freedom Road and Dr. Fink Road. Shown in the Top Picture: Back Row, Left to Right: Hazel Eighmie, Edna Monfort, Shirley Burger, Lois Wade, Ada O'Dell, Richard Eighmie and Mrs. Emma Wood ( Teacher ). Front Row, Left to Right: Alfred Johnson, Edward Wyant, Donald Wright, William Wyant, Harry Burdick, Natalie Tompkins, Carle Tompkins and Emma Lewis. Bottom Picture, Back Row, Left to Right: Marion Regaunalt, Emily Phillips, Mary Jane Monfort, Margaret Johnson, and Betty Anne Phillips. Front Row, Left to Right: Gwendolyn Wyant, Richard Smith, Robert Berger, Richard Wade, Robert Phillips, Vincent Wyant and Marguerite Eighmie

Given to the Historical Society by Dr. George Stringham of Fishkill Plains.  His mother attended the annual celebration ...
09/23/2012

Given to the Historical Society by Dr. George Stringham of Fishkill Plains. His mother attended the annual celebration and took these photos. Mr. Edward Stringham, her husband, was a native of Freedom Plains.

Timeline Photos
09/10/2012

Timeline Photos

Timeline Photos
09/10/2012

Timeline Photos

Misc. Historical Photos
08/13/2012

Misc. Historical Photos

Towns People
08/13/2012

Towns People

Places and People
08/13/2012

Places and People

These are pictures of different classes Circa 1917
08/12/2012

These are pictures of different classes Circa 1917

LaGrange One Room Schoolhouse
08/12/2012

LaGrange One Room Schoolhouse

Address

2 Dr Fink Rd
Pleasant Valley, NY
12569

General information

Our Schoolhouse is located at the intersection of Freedom ( County Route 47 ) and Dr. Fink Roads in LaGrangeville just off Route 55. Our Mailing Address is: Post Office Box 112 Lagrangeville, New York 12540

Opening Hours

Monday 09:00 - 15:00
Thursday 09:00 - 15:00
Sunday 09:00 - 12:00

Telephone

(845) 489-5183

Alerts

Be the first to know and let us send you an email when Lagrange Historical Society posts news and promotions. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at any time.

Contact The Museum

Send a message to Lagrange Historical Society:

Category

Nearby museums


Other Museums in Pleasant Valley

Show All