The work of architect Hugh M. Kaptur (b. 1931) will be the subject of the "Hugh Kaptur: Desert Organic Architecture" exhibition opening this Saturday, Feb. 2, at the A+D Center.
Kaptur is a visionary designer who practiced in Palm Springs and the surrounding Coachella Valley area from the late 1950s through the early 2000s. With more than 200 built projects in the area—residential, commercial, and institutional—he played a significant role in the architectural development of Palm Springs.
Many of his designs are considered among the most creative and innovative of the era. Somewhat less well known, at least beyond the Coachella Valley, than the generation of Desert Modern architects that preceded him (Wexler, Cody, Williams, Frey, Krisel and others), this will be the first museum exhibition of Kaptur’s body of work and reinforces the museum’s commitment to telling the story of Palm Springs architecture and design. In 2015, Kaptur gifted his archive of architectural drawings, models, slides and other materials to the Palm Springs Art Museum and many of the archival materials will be included in the exhibition.
Shown: View of pool area of William Holden Residence in the Southridge neighborhood, Palm Springs, ca. 1976. Photo by Erven Jourdan, from the personal collection of Hugh Kaptur.