Das Haus, Einhaus, und Der Stall - German Heritage Museum

Das Haus, Einhaus, und Der Stall - German Heritage Museum Our website address is http://dashausmuseum.org/ --- In 1843 over 800 Prussians settled in the Niagara frontier.

(2)

"Das Haus'' is an 1843 log cabin home featuring a century-old sitting room, the 1843 migration story of the Prussian Lutherans and an exhibit of domestic lifestyles of the past. ''Der Stall'' is a 1987-built repilca of a barn typically found in a 19th-century villiage, holding our extensive collection of geaneological information and other items of research materials. The "Einhaus", completed in July of 2015, is a re-built c. 1850 half-timbered barn and haus combination once located accross the Villiage of Bergholz, NY and faithfully re-assembled. It will soon house our collection period farm tools, handcrafted wares, and special events.

Mission: To educate adults and children concerning the heritage of the nineteenth century settlements of North Germans in Western New York and thus to preserve that heritage. To compile, collect, interpret, and restore related historical stories and accounts, ancestral data, artifacts, customs, and folklore as well as preserve the Plattdeutsch language legacy.

04/29/2020

The Das Haus, Einhaus, und Der Stall museum campus and associated events will be closed (at least through May) till further notice.

Have a Happy, Safe, and Blessed Easter from all of us at Das Haus!
04/12/2020

Have a Happy, Safe, and Blessed Easter from all of us at Das Haus!

03/15/2020

The public Das Haus meeting scheduled for March is canceled due to public health concerns around Corona and the nature of the situation. We appreciate your cooperation and apologize for any inconvenience .

Frohes neues Jahr! Happy New Year!
12/31/2019

Frohes neues Jahr! Happy New Year!

Historical Society of North German Settlements (Das Haus, Einhaus, und Der Stall Museum) of Bergholz in Wheatfield, NY. ...
12/18/2019

Historical Society of North German Settlements (Das Haus, Einhaus, und Der Stall Museum) of Bergholz in Wheatfield, NY. Become a member for $20 this season! Enjoy benefits such as their quarterly newsletter, event news, personal genealogical research relating to our regional families, and more! Just download, print, and mail in :)

Das Haus, Einhaus, und Der Stall - German Heritage Museum's cover photo
12/15/2019

Das Haus, Einhaus, und Der Stall - German Heritage Museum's cover photo

Das Haus, Einhaus, und Der Stall - German Heritage Museum's cover photo
12/15/2019

Das Haus, Einhaus, und Der Stall - German Heritage Museum's cover photo

On Friday December 13th the Historical Society of North German Settlements held its annual German Carol Sing Along and r...
12/15/2019

On Friday December 13th the Historical Society of North German Settlements held its annual German Carol Sing Along and reception at the 1915-built St. Peters Lutheran Church on Walmore Rd. in Wheatfield. Here, the learned-in-languages Martha Haseley (also Secretary for the Das Haus, Einhaus, und Der Stall Museum's Board of Directors) led our group and guests in singing and in transcribing the myriad of German carols in the original and, in some cases, English translation. Some of the carols date to the late 1500s! We also had the pleasure of a greeting from Rev. Thomas Thorstad. Cookies, crackers, punch, and cheeses were open to guests as Diane Retzlaff coordinated the refreshments. Fresh Cherry Bank Farm cider was also happily served. We wish to sincerely thank all of our guests for coming in Christmas and Holiday fellowship witihin this historic and sacred space!

Have a Blessed and Happy Thanksgiving :)
11/28/2019

Have a Blessed and Happy Thanksgiving :)

On Thursday 11-21 the Historical Society of North German Settlements hosted Jeremy Hogan of Barge Brewing Co. of Buffalo...
11/23/2019

On Thursday 11-21 the Historical Society of North German Settlements hosted Jeremy Hogan of Barge Brewing Co. of Buffalo who unveiled plans for the renovation of the 1930s Meeting Place and 1919-built Bergholz Vol. Fire Co. block building. Between them both-the restaurant, events center, reception venue, and micro brewery-will employ between 20-25 jobs and have not only considered carefully the market in this area but also parking and noise levels. The interiors will be likely restored to a period when the place hosted a balcony and other details. On the old fire hall building the cupola will be rebuilt to look like the original and the place fitted also as a tasting center. Opening is expected to be in mid-2020. Fire halls, such as the total site in question, were established as local churches did not allow for alcohol to be consumed on their grounds nor did they often have the facilities anyways. Consequently, the halls attached to the volunteer fire companies provided the extra room for civic and other activities. Fun fact :) Refreshments wee served by society board members John Millville and Justin Higner with our favorite cider by Cherry Bank of Pekin.

Come and see our annual Christmas Tree at the Niagara Power Vista (Power Project) in Lewiston, NY, where we have a tradi...
11/23/2019

Come and see our annual Christmas Tree at the Niagara Power Vista (Power Project) in Lewiston, NY, where we have a traditionally-minded tree decorated in a manner that would have been expected in the early 20th century, where clippings of Christmas and holy themes were common, pine cones and glass ornaments were favored, and actual metal tinsel adopted later. Attached also are explanations on these and other themes of the times. Thanks to board member Elaine Timm for keeping this tradition for our organization alive! This year board member Justin Higner joined to help. Check this out and other fantastic trees by other civic and service groups through Christmas! 🎅🤶☃️

Our recent scouts group visit to the museum campus. We want to heartily thank these kids and thier scout masters for com...
11/07/2019

Our recent scouts group visit to the museum campus. We want to heartily thank these kids and thier scout masters for coming! Harry DeBan, the International Representative for the Greater Niagara Frontier Council of the Boy Scouts, co-hosted a group of 23 Scouts from Germany who came to Das Haus Sunday, October 13th.

Some background:
The group is composed of Scouts and adult leaders from the (north Germany) communities of Harrislee and Temnitz, and there is one person from the Bokhorst Scout unit. The group is co-ed. They are members of the Ring Evangelischer Gemeindepfadfinder (REGP) which is an independent Scout association sponsored by the Lutheran Church in Germany, and recognized by the German Government. This is the third time that a group from Harrislee has visited us; the previous times were in the summer of 2010 and 2014. The Harrislee component was, and continues to be the primary planner for the visits, and they invite Scouts from another parish to join them here.

In 2010, the first time they ever visited the United States, the total group numbered 35 from Harrislee and Husum. In fact, the parish (church) in Husum is where Mrs. Wilma Lass (our past president of Das Haus Museum / HSNGSWNY) was baptized as an infant. In 2014, the group numbered 40 from Harrislee and Schobüll. On each of those visits here, they brought them to Das Haus, and definitely wanted to do so this year, too (they specifically asked that Das Haus be included in the schedule). :)

A NEW and helpful article on German Genealogy in WNY, New York State, population notes, and on the greater legacy of Ger...
10/15/2019

A NEW and helpful article on German Genealogy in WNY, New York State, population notes, and on the greater legacy of Germanic emigration to this country. It's where the search for our ancestors often begins :) Click on it to read better.

The original St. Johnsburg School at the corner, practically, of Ward and Niagara Falls Boulevard 1942 and by the late 1...
10/11/2019

The original St. Johnsburg School at the corner, practically, of Ward and Niagara Falls Boulevard 1942 and by the late 1950s and the complex's complete demolition. From the Harold 'Pete' Krull collection via member and Niagara Falls Historian Elaine Timm. The original St. James school on Niagara Rd. in Bergholz (now the DuBois Funeral Home) is a survivor and gives a good idea as to what a religious school building from the town's earlier years would have been like at this busy corner and an expanding boulevard at the time.

Special thanks to our guests Sunday, Ken and Judy Milleville, descendents of some of the first settlers here in Bergholz...
09/17/2019

Special thanks to our guests Sunday, Ken and Judy Milleville, descendents of some of the first settlers here in Bergholz now living in Illinois. And this as we were getting our new fence installed to roughly match the classic design when we first opened and also as the site appeared in the 1890s era. Come and see us each Sunday 2 to 4 till the end of October! We have had a very successful season thanks especially to our guests and supporters :)

1894 picture in a c.1960s Niagara Gazette article on the upstanding civic members of the Williams, DeVantier, Haseley, W...
09/03/2019

1894 picture in a c.1960s Niagara Gazette article on the upstanding civic members of the Williams, DeVantier, Haseley, Walk, Milleville, and Gombert Families of the Wheatfield / Bergholz area, who originally came over from the Ukermark region of Germany (Prussia) in 1843 or slightly later. (Some of the Williams' former farm lands are occupied by the curent Summit Mall development, for example.) All would have known each other through past and current ancestral and cultural connections. The inventive, electric, and gilded sense of the times would term for some the 1890s as 'gay' and brighter, suggesting the optomism of the times and of the Niagara Falls / Buffalo area we live in now. (The Pan-American Exposition was one such demonstration of this development.)

We would like to thank heartily the Ray Family from Florida for coming out, contributing to, and visiting our museum :)
06/29/2019

We would like to thank heartily the Ray Family from Florida for coming out, contributing to, and visiting our museum :)

This picture, taken in c. 1957, shows our restored Einhaus building on the far left of the picture. It was once at 2427 ...
06/02/2019

This picture, taken in c. 1957, shows our restored Einhaus building on the far left of the picture. It was once at 2427 Stoelting St. at the Haseley Farm. The Einhaus building itself, which was moved and rebuilt with a new skin at its present site at Das Haus a few years back, dates to c. 1848.

The Das Haus, Einhaus, und Der Stall Museum welcomes appointments and one of those to our museum campus was Susan Deeb (...
06/02/2019

The Das Haus, Einhaus, und Der Stall Museum welcomes appointments and one of those to our museum campus was Susan Deeb (white jacket and blue blouse), Cris Herbert (dark jacket and sweater), and Jim Herbert doing family and other research. Board members Ruth Camann Voelker (daughter of society founder Eugene Camann) and Justin Higner were on hand to give the guests a full tour. Family or ancestral research is done by being a member of the Historical Society of North German Settlements.

From all of here at Das Haus, Einhaus, und Der Stall! :)
05/12/2019

From all of here at Das Haus, Einhaus, und Der Stall! :)

04/21/2019

Just a reminder: our museum campus in Bergholz opens on Sunday, May 5th!

A Happy and Blessed Easter :)
04/21/2019

A Happy and Blessed Easter :)

04/14/2019

Hello! Just so everyone knows it is Peter Jablonski (not 'Joblonski) in these videos, below. It was corrected on Youtube but somehow did not transfer over to our page here. Please enjoy!

Our humble Das Haus Museum at 2549 Niagara Rd. as it appeared as a rental property in c. 1957 from our old property tax ...
03/31/2019

Our humble Das Haus Museum at 2549 Niagara Rd. as it appeared as a rental property in c. 1957 from our old property tax assessment card. This picture has not been published before and has only been published via our group page. What a different world! This image is provided by the Town of Wheatfield Historian Office.

“Time Capsule in Your Backyard” was the program of the Historical Society of North German Settlements of WNY on March 21...
03/23/2019

“Time Capsule in Your Backyard” was the program of the Historical Society of North German Settlements of WNY on March 21st, 2019. Peter Jablonski displayed and discussed articles of the past found while digging in privies or outhouses pits. Bottles, stoneware, toys, clay pipes, and coins are some of the items he has uncovered. The fun and informative meeting included fine refreshments, was well attended, and included new faces! Pictures by board member Justin J.M. Higner and story by board member Elaine Timm.

This past Thursday, the Das Haus, Einhaus, und Der Stall German Heritage Museum (Historical Society of North German Sett...
02/24/2019

This past Thursday, the Das Haus, Einhaus, und Der Stall German Heritage Museum (Historical Society of North German Settlements of WNY) held is monthly general meeting at the Wheatfield Community Center. The topic was on visiting the ancestral villages and towns in mostly north-eastern Germany (such as Wittenberg and 'old' Bergholz) where many familiar names (DuBois, Neuman, Schultz, etc;) of our own communities can still be found inscribed in cemeteries or on remaining documents there. Most of the old towns retain their charms and on one level or another are commemorating the 500th anniversary of Lutheranism. Board members Elaine Timm and Cindy Sileo led the discussion and narrated a lovely photo slide show. Light refreshments were provided by Diane Retzlaff. The event was informative and fun. Hearty thanks go out to all who attended and to those who support us! Our museum campus at 2549 Niagara Road in 'neu' (new) Bergholz will be open for the season every Sunday, 2-4, beginning in May. Photos and story by HSNGSWNY board member Justin J.M. Higner.

Address

2549 Niagara Rd
Niagara Falls, NY
14304

General information

Opening Hours

Sunday 14:00 - 16:00

Telephone

(716) 795-2890

Alerts

Be the first to know and let us send you an email when Das Haus, Einhaus, und Der Stall - German Heritage Museum posts news and promotions. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at any time.

Contact The Museum

Send a message to Das Haus, Einhaus, und Der Stall - German Heritage Museum:

Videos

Our Story

Nearby museums


Other Niagara Falls museums

Show All

Comments

Have a Happy, Safe, and Blessed Easter from all of us at Das Haus!
Become a member for $20 this season! Enjoy benefits such as our quarterly newsletter, event news, personal genealogical research relating to our regional families, and more! Just download, print, and mail in :)
I noticed your website is out of date, do you not use it or do you have a new one.
German American Children's Picture Book
German American Children's Picture Book
Just added you guys to my bucket list of places I have to visit!