Be a volunteer - from anywhere!
As we adjust to the “new normal,” we are evolving so we can continue sharing our important mission of heritage preservation.
While we have suspended in-person events, we have launched an exciting new self-guided tour. Pioneer Bluffs is now open during daylight hours for visitors to experience the tour, hike along the creek, have a picnic, and generally enjoy this place we all love – at a safe, physical distance.
Our faithful volunteers are more important than ever! There will always be work/maintenance needed to preserve our historic site, but your safety is our top priority. We have adapted volunteer opportunities. Would you look over this list to see what you may like to do?
• Volunteer workdays continue, cautiously. As volunteers arrive, there is a brief health screening. We maintain a physical distance from one another. Beverages, snacks, and lunch are served individually, non-contact. Check out the workday schedule below.
• Self-directed activities: Come out any time to work in the gardens (check with me on areas needed), pick up limbs, do trim work (especially along the stone fence). I can arrange a key exchange if you want to clean inside buildings – sweeping, dusting. Do you have a project idea?
• Visit on the days I am at PB, almost always on Wednesdays and usually at least one other day. The same work as listed on the self-directed activities, but I get to visit with you a bit from 6’ away.
• A work-at-home project: transcribing historic letters that have been scanned. This is very challenging. The old handwriting is difficult to read, and if the letters were typed, there is bleed-through.
• Another work-at-home project: check out our self-guided tour and give feedback on the content. You will find it at tour.pioneerbluffs.org. Would you like to research details that could be added – particularly on ranch work and other ranches?
• Serve on a committee, help plan for the future. Committees that need help are Volunteer, Events and Education, and Marketing.
Contact me with questions, ideas, suggestions! I would love to hear from you. Lynn Smith, executive director, [email protected]
Upcoming Volunteer Workdays begin at 8:30 a.m. on: July 25, August 22, September 12, October 31, November 14, December 5.