The History Center of Niagara

James Schuler pictured with his dogs. He was the founder of Schuler Quarry former located on Chestnut Ridge near Cold Sp...
06/01/2019

James Schuler pictured with his dogs. He was the founder of Schuler Quarry former located on Chestnut Ridge near Cold Springs Cemetery.

Winter on Locust St. in Lockport. C.1888.
05/29/2019

Winter on Locust St. in Lockport.
C.1888.

C.1899. Ice castles in Niagara Falls during a winter carnival held by the Niagara Falls Tourist and Convention Center.
05/27/2019

C.1899. Ice castles in Niagara Falls during a winter carnival held by the Niagara Falls Tourist and Convention Center.

Gorge mill races in Niagara Falls. The mill races powered the water wheels for the factories.
05/25/2019

Gorge mill races in Niagara Falls. The mill races powered the water wheels for the factories.

Olcott Beach c.1920
05/22/2019

Olcott Beach c.1920

The Farmers' and Mechanics' Savings Bank was established in 1870 and the building is from 1905 on the corner of Pine and...
05/19/2019

The Farmers' and Mechanics' Savings Bank was established in 1870 and the building is from 1905 on the corner of Pine and Main Sts. It is empty, sorry for the correction.
The Charles Rand Penney collection at our Erie Canal Discovery Center contains many artifacts from the historic Farmers' and Mechanics' Bank.

An old postcard of High Street in Lockport.
05/17/2019

An old postcard of High Street in Lockport.

The exterior of Lockport's Union Station in 1973. The train station was closed in 1940 and opened reopened in 1971 as a ...
05/14/2019

The exterior of Lockport's Union Station in 1973. The train station was closed in 1940 and opened reopened in 1971 as a restaurant. The majority of the structure was later destroyed by a fire in 1978.

The Hodge Opera House the morning after it caught on fire on February 25th, 1928. It took eleven million gallons of wate...
05/10/2019

The Hodge Opera House the morning after it caught on fire on February 25th, 1928. It took eleven million gallons of water to extinguish the fire. The water later froze in the 3-degree temperatures.

C. 1900. Main St. looking east toward 'Big Bridge' in Lockport.
05/08/2019

C. 1900. Main St. looking east toward 'Big Bridge' in Lockport.

This weekend! Celebrate the opening of the 2019 Erie Canal season on Saturday, May 11 in Lockport. Festivities begin at ...
05/07/2019

This weekend! Celebrate the opening of the 2019 Erie Canal season on Saturday, May 11 in Lockport. Festivities begin at 3:30 PM at the Erie Canal Discovery Center with the presentation of the Key to the Locks Award to John McKee, Chief Lock Tender of the Lockport Locks.

At 5 PM, join local and state dignitaries outside Steamworks on Canal Street for the Lock Tenders Tribute Event, which will honor legendary 19th Century Lock Tender Michael Oates, and the community will celebrate the designation of Lockport as a gateway location on the recently-designated Empire State Trail.

The canal-opening activities are sponsored by the Niagara County Historical Society and the Lockport Locks Heritage District.

Kenmore Hotel and West Ave. in Lockport c. the early 1900s.
05/06/2019

Kenmore Hotel and West Ave. in Lockport c. the early 1900s.

The Palace Theater in Lockport c. 1935.
05/04/2019

The Palace Theater in Lockport c. 1935.

This photograph depicts the Niagara County Jail and Sheriff's home as it was c.1930. The jail relocated from Niagara St....
05/02/2019

This photograph depicts the Niagara County Jail and Sheriff's home as it was c.1930. The jail relocated from Niagara St. in Lockport to Niagara St. Extention down the road in 1961. The building shown was demolished shortly after.

The History Center will be closed Saturday 4/20- Monday 4/22. Enjoy the holiday weekend!
04/18/2019

The History Center will be closed Saturday 4/20- Monday 4/22. Enjoy the holiday weekend!

Did you know the History Center participates in a monthly radio show? "Niagara's Greatest History" is broadcast every se...
04/17/2019

Did you know the History Center participates in a monthly radio show? "Niagara's Greatest History" is broadcast every second Wednesday of the month at 11 am on WLVL (1340 AM – 105.3 FM). Each show addresses a different historical theme regarding Niagara County. Our next show is on May 8th!

The Erie Canal Discovery Center will resume its seasonal hours starting May 1st. The Discovery Center will be open 7 day...
04/12/2019

The Erie Canal Discovery Center will resume its seasonal hours starting May 1st. The Discovery Center will be open 7 days a week, 9 AM- 5 PM until October 1st.
Be sure to stop by!

African American businessman and education- rights advocate, Aaron Mossell donated bricks to build Lockport's First Afri...
04/08/2019

African American businessman and education- rights advocate, Aaron Mossell donated bricks to build Lockport's First African Methodist Episcopal Church in the late 1870s. The church is located on South St.

We're accepting submissions to name our Blues Concert Fundraiser!!! The History Center is hosting the event at The Palac...
04/05/2019

We're accepting submissions to name our Blues Concert Fundraiser!!! The History Center is hosting the event at The Palace Theater in Lockport on February 29, 2020.

The winner of the contest will be chosen by a selection committee and will receive four concert tickets. You can message us on Facebook with your submissions. The contest ends on Wednesday, May 3rd at 5:00 PM.

The original Baptist Church of Lockport. The church was built in 1867 and was originally located on Pine St. It was torn...
04/04/2019

The original Baptist Church of Lockport. The church was built in 1867 and was originally located on Pine St. It was torn down in the 1950s and a new church was built on the corner of Pine St. and Genesee St.

This photo was found in our collection and depicts the Lockport Reds, the city's minor league baseball team from 1947-19...
03/25/2019

This photo was found in our collection and depicts the Lockport Reds, the city's minor league baseball team from 1947-1951. The photo is not dated and we have no information about any of the men in the photo.
If anyone recognizes any of the players, we'd love to hear more about them.

The Ashley Mansion was bought by Lockport Lawyer and Real Estate Entrepreneur Eugene M. Ashley in 1885. The mansion, loc...
03/21/2019

The Ashley Mansion was bought by Lockport Lawyer and Real Estate Entrepreneur Eugene M. Ashley in 1885. The mansion, located at 252 Genesee St, passed through the hands of many owners until it was converted into the Governor Hunt Apartment Buildings during the 1930s. The mansion was destroyed by a fire in 1940, and the lot is now a part of the Prudden and Kandt Funeral Home.

The Olcott Methodist Church was built in 1901, and replaced earlier Methodist churches built in Olcott. The Civil War mo...
03/19/2019

The Olcott Methodist Church was built in 1901, and replaced earlier Methodist churches built in Olcott. The Civil War monument (in the bottom right corner of the photo) was built in 1899, and relocated to the Methodist Church lot in 1923.

02/07/2019

This is a full-time, 9-5 position with a daily lunch break from mid May - mid August, 2018. It includes working alternate Saturdays with a weekday off.

Work would be done at the 215 Niagara St. site and Erie Canal Discovery Center, 24 Church St., both in Lockport.

The supervisors would be the curator and assistant director.

The job entails good organizational skills, Microsoft Office program knowledge, good customer relations, being highly motivated, phone skills and multi-tasking ability.

The registrar will also need to learn Erie Canal history to assist the education coordinator with school tours of the restored Flight of Five locks.

The candidate will need to learn how to use our Past-Perfect museum software.

There will be some light housekeeping and assisting with moving light objects (books, artifacts),writing, filing, copying, research and working in the gift shop.

Summers are very busy at the History Center, and this position will enable the staff to be more responsive to visitors' needs. We also have more research requests at this time of year.

Eligible applicants must be students who have completed one year of college and are currently enrolled. They must be residents of eastern Niagara County. This geographic area includes Lockport, Newfane, Gasport, Sanborn, Cambria, Wilson, Ransomville, Wheatfield, Royalton, Hartland, Barker, Pendleton, Middleport and Somerset.

Students not residing in eastern Niagara County but attending Niagara Community College or Niagara University are also eligible to apply.

Please contact the History Center at (716) 434-7433 for more information and an application.

Completed applications must be received by March 8.

The History Center of Niagara
01/23/2019

The History Center of Niagara

We received a question about Robin Hood Flour & replied earlier today. Many of you may remember their grain elevator, which could be seen towering over much of Lockport. Here is a photo of the grain elevator & our information:

Robin Hood Flour was made in Lockport at Federal Milling, which began operation in 1907 at Michigan & Park. The company was later purchased by International Milling, later known as International Multifoods, and made flour and other grain products. The Robin Hood grain storage elevator was a local landmark until its 1993 demolition. International Multifoods closed the plant in 2005.

The El Dorado was a 50-room hotel in Youngstown known for both lodging and entertainment. Built in 1891 by Frank Steele,...
01/17/2019

The El Dorado was a 50-room hotel in Youngstown known for both lodging and entertainment. Built in 1891 by Frank Steele, the popular hotel stood on the northwest corner of Main and Ferry Streets. It was known for good food, comfortable accommodations, concerts and dancing, and a view of both the Niagara River and Lake Ontario from its verandas. A historic marker now indicates the site of the El Dorado, which was demolished in the late 1930s.

The El Dorado was a 50-room hotel in Youngstown known for both lodging and entertainment. Built in 1891 by Frank Steele, the popular hotel stood on the northwest corner of Main and Ferry Streets. It was known for good food, comfortable accommodations, concerts and dancing, and a view of both the Niagara River and Lake Ontario from its verandas. A historic marker now indicates the site of the El Dorado, which was demolished in the late 1930s.

Pictured: The Bewley Building in the early 1930's.
01/15/2019

Pictured: The Bewley Building in the early 1930's.

A postcard features Lockport's Bewley Building in the early 1920s.

The girls of the Raymond Hill School pose for a photo in 1937. Does anyone recognize any of the girls in the photo?
11/26/2018

The girls of the Raymond Hill School pose for a photo in 1937.
Does anyone recognize any of the girls in the photo?

Parade on Main St. near the intersection with Elm. C. 1940.
11/25/2018

Parade on Main St. near the intersection with Elm. C. 1940.

A firetruck in Lox Plaza c. 1940. The building on the left is the Upson Coal Company, currently the law office of Henry ...
11/23/2018

A firetruck in Lox Plaza c. 1940. The building on the left is the Upson Coal Company, currently the law office of Henry W. Schmidt.

The Royal Soda Fountain opened in 1916 on Locust St, Lockport. It relocated to Main St. in 1950.
11/20/2018

The Royal Soda Fountain opened in 1916 on Locust St, Lockport. It relocated to Main St. in 1950.

The History Center of Niagara
11/19/2018

The History Center of Niagara

This many-named Lockport hotel was known as the Stevens by the late 19th century. Built as the Judson on the site of the Tremont Hotel, source of the Great Fire of 1854, it would be re-named the Grand, Rheutan, Stevens, Kenmore, and finally, Lox Plaza before its 1966 demolition. The Big Bridge location is now the site of the current City Hall.

The History Center of Niagara
11/14/2018

The History Center of Niagara

Lockport Native, M.C. Hall's new historical fiction novel "Sutherland" is now available at our Outwater Gift Shop for $1...
11/08/2018

Lockport Native, M.C. Hall's new historical fiction novel "Sutherland" is now available at our Outwater Gift Shop for $15. The novel tells the tale of the Sutherland sisters, famous for their long hair.

Views of Niagara Falls. Circa. Early 20th Century.
11/07/2018

Views of Niagara Falls. Circa. Early 20th Century.

The History Center of Niagara
11/06/2018

The History Center of Niagara

Here's another great example of life lived on a Canal barge. What better way to air your rugs and bedding?

The French Castle at Old Fort Niagara. The first picture depicts what the castle looked like in the late 19th Century.  ...
11/05/2018

The French Castle at Old Fort Niagara. The first picture depicts what the castle looked like in the late 19th Century. The second shows the castle after its restoration during the 1920s.

Main St. in Lockport decorated for Old Home Week in 1910. The second photo shows the town at night, when  electric light...
11/02/2018

Main St. in Lockport decorated for Old Home Week in 1910. The second photo shows the town at night, when electric lights illuminated the street. This was at a time when most homes didn't have electricity.

Dining Room of the Hotel Kenmore in Lockport. Circa. 1915. The Hotel was later known as the Lox Plaza Hotel, and was dem...
10/31/2018

Dining Room of the Hotel Kenmore in Lockport. Circa. 1915. The Hotel was later known as the Lox Plaza Hotel, and was demolished in 1966. The lot is now the site of the Lockport Municipal Building

The History Center of Niagara
10/30/2018

The History Center of Niagara

Aaron Mossell, seated second from left, owned a successful brickyard in Lockport in the late 1800s and headed a prominent and accomplished African-American family. Mossell built a brick home on Trowbridge St. which still stands today. The Mossells had fled to Canada to escape slavery in the United States and returned in 1866 after the Civil War.

Oktoberfest 2018
10/30/2018

Oktoberfest 2018

This postcard from 1912 depicts the Hydraulic Mill Raceway in Lockport. The raceway was used to generate power to the nu...
10/29/2018

This postcard from 1912 depicts the Hydraulic Mill Raceway in Lockport. The raceway was used to generate power to the numerous mills built along its track. It was abandoned when the canal was enlarged in the early 20th Century.

The Carriage Shop Restaurant at the Park Hotel in Lockport. Circa 1950. Marilyn Monroe stayed at the hotel  while filmin...
10/26/2018

The Carriage Shop Restaurant at the Park Hotel in Lockport. Circa 1950. Marilyn Monroe stayed at the hotel while filming in Niagara Falls.

Residence of Jesse Peterson, president of the United Indurated Fibre Company. His house is located on Locus St. in Lockp...
10/24/2018

Residence of Jesse Peterson, president of the United Indurated Fibre Company. His house is located on Locus St. in Lockport, near its intersection with Willow St.

The original Post Office in Lockport. Copyright 1905. The building was designed by architect James Knox Taylor
10/22/2018

The original Post Office in Lockport. Copyright 1905.
The building was designed by architect James Knox Taylor

Address

215 Niagara St
Lockport, NY
14094

General information

The Niagara County Historical Society Complex presents a glimpse of area life in Niagara County over the last 175 years. The Outwater Memorial Building, 215 Niagara Street, Lockport, NY, is the headquarters for the Niagara County Historical Society. Erie Canal Discovery Center part of the Niagara County Historical Society Museum Complex. This 1863 brick home features a Victorian Parlor, Historic Pantry, Old Toy Room, the Civil War Room and a Changing Exhibit Room. The Outwater Emporium, our unique gift shop, allows you to browse among historic gifts and publications about Niagara County geared towards all ages. Cat's Meow Collectibles are also available in our gift shop. Admission to the 215 Niagara St. Museum Complex is $4 adults, free for children 19 and under with parent or guardian. The History Center includes the Erie Canal Discovery Center at 24 Church Street, which is open May 1 - October 31, 9 am - 5 pm everyday. It is open November 1 - April 30, Friday and Saturday, 10 am to 3 pm. Admission to the Erie Canal Discovery Center is $6 adults, free for children 18 and under with parent or guardian. The History Center also includes the Col. William Bond/Jesse Hawley House at 143 Ontario Street. For hours, please call 434-7433.

Opening Hours

Monday 09:00 - 17:00
Tuesday 09:00 - 17:00
Wednesday 09:00 - 17:00
Thursday 09:00 - 17:00
Friday 09:00 - 17:00
Saturday 09:00 - 17:00

Telephone

(716) 434-7433

Alerts

Be the first to know and let us send you an email when The History Center of Niagara posts news and promotions. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at any time.

Contact The Museum

Send a message to The History Center of Niagara:

Videos

Category

Nearby museums


Other History Museums in Lockport

Show All