Goshen NH Historical Society

Goshen NH Historical Society The Goshen NH Historical Society is currently archiving and documenting a variety of items in its collection.
(3)

A postcard of Grace Moody Bartlett, George Belknap Bartlett, and their three sons Harry, George and Clyde, December 24, ...
09/02/2020

A postcard of Grace Moody Bartlett, George Belknap Bartlett, and their three sons Harry, George and Clyde, December 24, 1912. They are standing in front of their house which is now part of the Tippeecanoe Campground. The last photo is of Harry Bartlett on his tractor. (Courtesy of Mike Bartlett)

The Goshen NH Historical Society will add a few old "Laws of the State of New Hampshire" to its collection. The publicat...
09/02/2020

The Goshen NH Historical Society will add a few old "Laws of the State of New Hampshire" to its collection. The publications, which were found in the town hall, include the years 1893, 1895, 1897, 1899, 1903, 1907, and 1911. They include some interesting statutes that may have been forgotten by now or rescinded. It looks as if the state legislature met every other year from January to April.

Wall stencils in Gunnison House bedroom by Steven Badger of Goshen Centre when the house was built.
04/08/2020

Wall stencils in Gunnison House bedroom by Steven Badger of Goshen Centre when the house was built.

When Elmer and Arthur Nelson were children growing up in the Gunnison House in Goshen, NH they created over 63 small han...
03/11/2020

When Elmer and Arthur Nelson were children growing up in the Gunnison House in Goshen, NH they created over 63 small handmade illustrated books. Their "little library" included stories on trapping, hunting, the west, pioneers, maps, news, mountains, farming, the military, inventions and heroes real and imagined. c. 1880's - 1890's. Collection Amherst College

These painted curtains hang on the second floor of the Goshen Grange Hall. The first curtain, of Rosewald Farm in Hillsb...
03/06/2020

These painted curtains hang on the second floor of the Goshen Grange Hall. The first curtain, of Rosewald Farm in Hillsboro, was purchased by the Sunapee Mountain Grange in 1963 from the Hillsborough Grange when it closed. The advertising curtain was discovered in the Goshen Town Hall. These permanently installed curtains served as backdrops for traveling troupes, speakers, locally-produced variety shows and various societies and clubs. They date to the 1930's and are considered a national historic treasure.

This 1879 town report is the earliest in the historical society's collection. Pages 6 and 7, shown here, give a good pic...
03/05/2020

This 1879 town report is the earliest in the historical society's collection. Pages 6 and 7, shown here, give a good picture of what has changed and what has not.

Miss. Josephine Pratt with students (back, left to right) Roger Gorman, Glendon Chapman, Stuart Gorman, Mabel Napter, Po...
10/31/2019

Miss. Josephine Pratt with students (back, left to right) Roger Gorman, Glendon Chapman, Stuart Gorman, Mabel Napter, Poven Corey, Lucy Earle, Russell Stronach. (Front) Gladys Ames, Glencia Chapman, Miriam Ames, Mabel Russell. Location of the schoolhouse is unknown and some names may be spelled incorrectly. (Collection of the Goshen NH Historical Society.)

Lindberg 1927. (Collection Goshen Historical Society)
10/03/2019

Lindberg 1927. (Collection Goshen Historical Society)

This is another view of the sawmill from Lear Hill Road.
07/30/2019

This is another view of the sawmill from Lear Hill Road.

Sawmill on Lear Hill Road, 1913
07/29/2019

Sawmill on Lear Hill Road, 1913

Another Goshen Post Office. According to Arthur Nelson it was the "Goshen Post Office and Home of Harvey D. Baker. At a ...
05/30/2019

Another Goshen Post Office. According to Arthur Nelson it was the "Goshen Post Office and Home of Harvey D. Baker. At a later date the porches were removed and the upper story turned and moved South a short distance. It is now (1991) the home of Greg Litchfield." Does anyone know where this is?

Can anyone identify this man? His portrait hangs in the Brook Road (former Backside) Inn.
05/21/2019

Can anyone identify this man? His portrait hangs in the Brook Road (former Backside) Inn.

Another question -- does anyone know where this Goshen Post Office was located?
04/26/2019

Another question -- does anyone know where this Goshen Post Office was located?

Does anyone have information on this photo of children in front of the Olive G. Pettis Library?
04/25/2019

Does anyone have information on this photo of children in front of the Olive G. Pettis Library?

Sugaring in Goshen, c.1900 on Oren Farr's farm.
03/24/2019

Sugaring in Goshen, c.1900 on Oren Farr's farm.

A closeup of the small store on Route 10, circa 1920, shows the truck this time with a load of hay.
02/26/2019

A closeup of the small store on Route 10, circa 1920, shows the truck this time with a load of hay.

This small building on the west side of Route 10 still exists. The 1916 truck in the photo was made by Abbott and Downin...
02/06/2019

This small building on the west side of Route 10 still exists. The 1916 truck in the photo was made by Abbott and Downing, Concord NH.

This small building on the west side of Route 10 still exists. The 1916 truck in the photo was made by Abbott and Downing, Concord NH.

Historical Society archivers found this glass plate negative of the Gunnison House and barns on Center Road last week. C...
11/13/2018

Historical Society archivers found this glass plate negative of the Gunnison House and barns on Center Road last week. Circa 1898.

Two croquet hoops made by Walter Nelson were recently donated to the Goshen NH Historical Society by his son Robert Burf...
11/12/2018

Two croquet hoops made by Walter Nelson were recently donated to the Goshen NH Historical Society by his son Robert Burford. Walter Nelson is well known as the author of the History of Goshen and many published articles and for his Nelson Wheelbarrow business on Brook Road. He created a variety of characters with his croquet hoops which were sometimes painted by his grand daughters Ruth and Doris Nelson.

Historical society members came across this glass plate negative of Sunapee Harbor and the Ben Mere Inn last week. (Phot...
11/10/2018

Historical society members came across this glass plate negative of Sunapee Harbor and the Ben Mere Inn last week. (Photo by Elmer & Arthur Nelson, c. 1898. Collection the Goshen NH Historical Society.)

Children with flags, Mill Village, Goshen NH, 1927. Collection Goshen NH Historical Society.
04/30/2018

Children with flags, Mill Village, Goshen NH, 1927. Collection Goshen NH Historical Society.

Part of the Goshen NH Historical Society's collection of lapel buttons and tags.
04/30/2018

Part of the Goshen NH Historical Society's collection of lapel buttons and tags.

"Watching the AeroPlane & Band at the Bradford-Newbury Fair."  c. 1920.  Collection Goshen NH Historical Society.
04/30/2018

"Watching the AeroPlane & Band at the Bradford-Newbury Fair." c. 1920. Collection Goshen NH Historical Society.

Lorenzo L. Cutts
01/31/2018

Lorenzo L. Cutts

Blizzard of 1898
01/24/2018

Blizzard of 1898

Childhood images from the "Little Library" created by Elmer, Arthur and Walter Nelson of Goshen, NH, when they lived in ...
07/24/2017

Childhood images from the "Little Library" created by Elmer, Arthur and Walter Nelson of Goshen, NH, when they lived in the Gunnison House on Center Road. Circa 1890. Collection Amherst College.

Childhood images from the "Little Library" created by Elmer, Arthur and Walter Nelson of Goshen, NH, when they lived in the Gunnison House on Center Road. Circa 1890. Collection Amherst College.

A poster soliciting donations for the Goshen War Memorial in front of the Olive G. Pettis Library. (Collection of the Go...
07/24/2017

A poster soliciting donations for the Goshen War Memorial in front of the Olive G. Pettis Library. (Collection of the Goshen NH Historical Society)

The Goshen Dump, sometime in the 1970's, now known as the Goshen Transfer Station.
07/18/2017

The Goshen Dump, sometime in the 1970's, now known as the Goshen Transfer Station.

This notebook was discovered today while John & Mary Wirkkala and I were archiving historical society materials. It is o...
07/18/2017

This notebook was discovered today while John & Mary Wirkkala and I were archiving historical society materials. It is one of four notebooks containing sermons and letters by lay minister Alfred Abell, c.1840.

The Earl Hotel c. 1910 across Route 10 from Lear Hill Road.
07/10/2017

The Earl Hotel c. 1910 across Route 10 from Lear Hill Road.

Lantern slides recently discovered in the Newport NH library.
03/19/2017

Lantern slides recently discovered in the Newport NH library.

David Nelson, 1925, "The perfect farmer."
02/21/2017

David Nelson, 1925, "The perfect farmer."

Jack (John Newman Jr. at 8 months) held by father John Newman Sr. with grandfather Newman.
02/21/2017

Jack (John Newman Jr. at 8 months) held by father John Newman Sr. with grandfather Newman.

"Bird's Eye View of South Main Street, Mill Village, N.H."  1921
01/03/2017

"Bird's Eye View of South Main Street, Mill Village, N.H." 1921

"Congregational Church at Goshen." This church was erected at Goshen Corner, Rt. 31, in 1837 and dismantled in  1954. Th...
12/06/2016

"Congregational Church at Goshen." This church was erected at Goshen Corner, Rt. 31, in 1837 and dismantled in 1954. The bell, a particularly rich and full-toned one, was taken to Gilmanton, N.H., and now hangs in the belfry of the Congregational Church there.

Address

PO Box 57
Goshen, NH
03752

Alerts

Be the first to know and let us send you an email when Goshen NH Historical Society posts news and promotions. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at any time.

Contact The Museum

Send a message to Goshen NH Historical Society:

Category

Nearby museums

Comments

When and where can these Goshen Historical Pieces be viewed? Thanks
Graveyard Restoration Workshop October 17, 2018 10am -12pm Sullivan County Complex, Unity, NH Cemetery across from the nursing home. Join the Sullivan County Natural Resources Dept. as Richard Maloon, NH Old Graveyard Association (NHOGA) Secretary and volunteer workshop instructor, demonstrates how to clean gravestones, how to upright leaning stones and how to repair broken stones. Please bring gloves and water, a shovel is a plus and a spray gallon container is great. This workshop is rain or shine, so please dress appropriate for the weather. There are limited bathroom facilities. Snacks will be provided. Contact: Dawn Dextraze, [email protected]; 603.504.1004
State of The Loon -- The Natural History, Challenges, and Successes of Loons in New Hampshire Join LPC Executive Director Harry Vogel from the Loon Preservation Committee for a talk on “The State of the Loon- The Natural History, Challenges, and Successes of Loons in New Hampshire.” At the Lempster Meetinghouse ‘Silver Mountain Grange’ Lempster Street this Sunday, June 10 at 1pm. Sponsored by the Lempster Conservation Commission