Coopersville Historical Museum

Coopersville Historical Museum Page will give background and current information along with photos and updates concerning the Museum's exhibits, programs and activities.
(4)

All are invited to a Coopersville Historical Museum program that will take place at 7 p.m. on Thursday, June 6 at the Co...
06/03/2019

All are invited to a Coopersville Historical Museum program that will take place at 7 p.m. on Thursday, June 6 at the Coopersville Area District Library. Marjie Viveen will speak on military veterans who ended up at the Ottawa County Infirmary, also known as the Ottawa County Poor Farm, which was on Leonard Road west of Eastmanville.
These veterans served in various time periods, ranging from the War of 1812 to World War II. Marjie has extensively researched their military service and interesting life stories.
For many years, Marjie has been involved in preserving the history of the Poor Farm. She also assisted in the production of a documentary film on its story.

05/03/2019
03/03/2019
02/19/2019
All Things Del Shannon

All Things Del Shannon

Del Shannon | Crying, live, 1989.

February 2019 marks the 30th anniversary of Del Shannon's "Crime Story" tour of Australia.

March 11, 1989 was the final night of the tour and Del played to a packed house at the Rooty Hill RSL in New South Wales. The entire concert was recorded and released on video, LP, cassette and compact disc and would be Del's last ever show in Australia. In this clip, Del pays tribute to his friend, Roy Orbsion who had passed away just weeks before.

A pleasant looking period of time.
01/04/2019

A pleasant looking period of time.

Albrecht Dairy display.
08/20/2018

Albrecht Dairy display.

Loom dating back to the 1850's.
08/20/2018

Loom dating back to the 1850's.

Coopersville is growing, a rainy day photo.
01/21/2018

Coopersville is growing, a rainy day photo.

Photo from the Centennial in 1971. L to R Mrs. Ellis Lillie, Maude Tasker, Marion Lillie and Mae Irish. Picture taken in...
09/30/2017

Photo from the Centennial in 1971. L to R Mrs. Ellis Lillie, Maude Tasker, Marion Lillie and Mae Irish. Picture taken in front of Tasker's Drug Store most of the items in the background are now at the Museum.

Dug up from very old out-house at Museum site.
02/23/2017

Dug up from very old out-house at Museum site.

Barn pulley.
02/23/2017

Barn pulley.

Local Military uniforms at Museum.
02/23/2017

Local Military uniforms at Museum.

Time to pick the corn.
11/14/2016

Time to pick the corn.

This is what the Railroad engines looked like in 1858 when the R.R. came through Coopersville. It was called the Detroit...
05/30/2016

This is what the Railroad engines looked like in 1858 when the R.R. came through Coopersville. It was called the Detroit & Milwaukee later the name changed to Grand Trunk. The grade is still used by the Coopersville & Marne R.Y. between Grand Rapids and Coopersville.

Spring will be here soon, plan a trip to the Historical Museum.
04/11/2016

Spring will be here soon, plan a trip to the Historical Museum.

A small portion of the Del Shannon display at the Historical Museum.
03/06/2016

A small portion of the Del Shannon display at the Historical Museum.

A photo of the Ottawa County Infirmary, located on the north side of Leonard Road a short distance west of Eastmanville ...
02/15/2016

A photo of the Ottawa County Infirmary, located on the north side of Leonard Road a short distance west of Eastmanville - The facility was established in 1866 as the county Poor Farm. The main part of the building shown was opened in 1887 with additions constructed later. The name later changed to the Ottawa County Community Haven, with a modern building replacing this landmark structure in the 1970's. Now little remains of this rural place that once served those in need. See the upcoming issue of the Coopersville Observe for more.
r

Timeline Photos
02/04/2016

Timeline Photos

A portion of the Historical Society Museum's rustic Early Settlers area showing some of the full size sawmill exhibit, e...
02/02/2016

A portion of the Historical Society Museum's rustic Early Settlers area showing some of the full size sawmill exhibit, early tools, logging items, etc., and even a few Lincoln Logs.

Timeline Photos
12/13/2015

Timeline Photos

The Coopersville Area Historical Society Museum is getting ready for the Christmas season. Shown is Museum Director Lill...
12/02/2015

The Coopersville Area Historical Society Museum is getting ready for the Christmas season. Shown is Museum Director Lill Budzynski by the Christmas tree visitors see as they enter the front door. Stop by the evening of the Community Christmas Parade, December 4, and see the softly illuminated "Museum by Moonlight." Or, stop by other open hours in December to enjoy a festive, old fashioned look of Christmas from long ago.

Thompson girls ready to take another ride before the weather changes. Circa 1890's
09/03/2015

Thompson girls ready to take another ride before the weather changes. Circa 1890's

This neat photo from our glass negative collection is simply titled Cusick & horse.
08/17/2015

This neat photo from our glass negative collection is simply titled Cusick & horse.

Shown are Joseph and Margaret Folkert at a beautiful and operational pump organ their family donated to the Historical S...
08/03/2015

Shown are Joseph and Margaret Folkert at a beautiful and operational pump organ their family donated to the Historical Society Museum. Margaret is demonstrating the nice sounds produced by the century old organ that her husband Joe painstakingly restored. As a hobby, Joe began restoring organs in 1975. He estimates that he has stored at least 14 organs. Many times, bellows and other components had to be completely rebuilt or replaced. The organs were from the mid 1800's to the early 1900's. What is amazing is that Joe's workshop was just a crawlspace area in their ranch style home in Illinois. The couple have family in the Coopersville area.

West Michigan
07/15/2015

West Michigan

It's a beautiful day at the Coopersville Area Historical Society Museum!

Photo of an Interurban Freight Motor leaving Coopersville on Main St. Lillie's first store in on the left and Parkers Ha...
06/28/2015

Photo of an Interurban Freight Motor leaving Coopersville on Main St. Lillie's first store in on the left and Parkers Hardware store is on the right. In the background is Colin C. Lillies house, corner of Main & Church St. where Throops Funeral Home now stands.

CHS school building built in 1869 held students of all ages, when you attained a  level for graduation you had to be tes...
06/17/2015

CHS school building built in 1869 held students of all ages, when you attained a level for graduation you had to be tested at an accredited school district until 1892.

CHS first graduates, Hattie McNaughton and Hattie Maxfield. Principal was Louis Ernst who lived on Eastmanville St. in a...
06/17/2015

CHS first graduates, Hattie McNaughton and Hattie Maxfield. Principal was Louis Ernst who lived on Eastmanville St. in a house that he built.

Part of the Del Shannon Collection at the Museum.
04/16/2015

Part of the Del Shannon Collection at the Museum.

Copies of a new publication on the area's electric rail line, "Grand Rapids, Grand Haven & Muskegon Railway," are on sal...
04/01/2015

Copies of a new publication on the area's electric rail line, "Grand Rapids, Grand Haven & Muskegon Railway," are on sale now for $22 at the Coopersville Area Historical Society Museum and Budzynski Photography, both on Main Street. With nearly 200 photographs,the book tells the story of the interurban which came through Coopersville from 1902-28.

Picture of Main St with band taken before the fire of 1898. This is the corner of Main and Eastmanville St.
02/08/2015

Picture of Main St with band taken before the fire of 1898. This is the corner of Main and Eastmanville St.

Do you remember this? R.R. Yards looking west in Coopersville, Heath Mfg. would be on the left if you were standing in t...
01/15/2015

Do you remember this? R.R. Yards looking west in Coopersville, Heath Mfg. would be on the left if you were standing in the same spot today.

Garrett Sneller, Rex Stiles and Ernie Laug in front of their stores about 1955.
01/12/2015

Garrett Sneller, Rex Stiles and Ernie Laug in front of their stores about 1955.

Fire of July 1898 in Coopersville.
12/17/2014

Fire of July 1898 in Coopersville.

's cover photo
12/08/2014

's cover photo

Timeline Photos
12/03/2014

Timeline Photos

Our pride and joy Merlin, an interurban car built by Barney and Smith in Dayton, Ohio around 1901. Merlin is in an ongoi...
11/30/2014

Our pride and joy Merlin, an interurban car built by Barney and Smith in Dayton, Ohio around 1901. Merlin is in an ongoing restoration.

Another view of lanterns.
11/20/2014

Another view of lanterns.

Stop in to visit before the Christmas parade to see the Christmas displays or anytime in December.
11/19/2014

Stop in to visit before the Christmas parade to see the Christmas displays or anytime in December.

Military display at the Museum.
11/14/2014

Military display at the Museum.

Bob Messing standing under the buggy he donated to the Museum.
11/13/2014

Bob Messing standing under the buggy he donated to the Museum.

This was taken last year but winter arrived today in Coopersville.
11/13/2014

This was taken last year but winter arrived today in Coopersville.

Corner of Danforth & Eastmanville Streets.
11/11/2014

Corner of Danforth & Eastmanville Streets.

Interurban Sub Station when in use  around 1906. It is now the Museum.
11/11/2014

Interurban Sub Station when in use around 1906. It is now the Museum.

Bruce Quinn R.R. collection, lanterns.
11/09/2014

Bruce Quinn R.R. collection, lanterns.

Address

363 Main St
Coopersville, MI
49404

General information

Museum hours are: Sat. 10-4; Tues. 2-5:30; Wed. 10-2; Fri. 1-4 and other times by appointment. Hours subject to change. Call (616) 997-7240 or 997-6978 if traveling from a distance or to arrange for group tours. Museum exhibits include extensive railroad and interurban railway collections along with a 1902 interurban passenger car (Car #8 - Merlin) undergoing stages of restoration, household and business items, a recreation of a local drugstore with some pieces going back to the 1880's, a general store display, logging and early settler artifacts, a full size sawmill encircled by a g gauge model railroad, an early school room and more. Also featured is the Del Shannon collection of personal belongings and career memorabilia (Del grew up in Coopersville). The main museum building was built in 1902 to serve as a depot and substation for the then new electric interurban rail line, the Grand Rapids, Grand Haven & Muskegon Railway. The line ran until 1928 when the popularity of automobiles caused a decline in interurban ridership. The building is an official State Historic Site and is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Opening Hours

Tuesday 14:00 - 17:30
Wednesday 10:00 - 14:00
Friday 13:00 - 16:00
Saturday 10:00 - 16:00

Telephone

(616) 997-7240

Alerts

Be the first to know and let us send you an email when Coopersville Historical Museum posts news and promotions. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at any time.

Contact The Museum

Send a message to Coopersville Historical Museum:

Category

Nearby museums


Other Coopersville museums

Show All